The Student Room Group

Should i complain, i think i should have got an A* in AS but got an A.

Hi, i'm doing AQA English Literature (LITB) and i think my AS exam was given the wrong grade.

The reason i think this is because, i got 108 UMS marks out of 120, on the AQA website, the UMS mark trend is that it goes up 12 for each grade. So for instance a B grade is 84 and an A is 96, from that i would think that 108 would be an A*, but on the website the A* column is left blank??

Does that mean no-one doing the syllabus got an A* so there is no official grade boundary for an A*? The reason i'm asking this is because i'm in A2 and sitting my A2 exam on June 20th, i left the exam last year thinking i would just scrape a C and ended up with an A, i was literally gobsmacked, i didn't think it was that good. Turns out i got 108 which looks like a really high A as 96 UMS marks is the lowest A you can get.

Should i phone AQA up and try and get my grade changed or just ask them why their isn't a grade boundary for A*. My AS coursework was a mark off an A* and the AS exam i'm talking about could possibly be an A*, i just got my A2 coursework grades and i got an A* in both courseworks, so if i could get an A* overall it would really help my application as i need an AAB to study law and i think i might get B's in my other two subjects. HELP! Also i do NOT want to get it remarked, frankly i don't know how i got an A, i finished the paper but wasn't confident about it at all, don't really want to take the chance of it getting lowered by another examiner as English is subjective
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
err....there is no A* for AS subjects......
*facepalm*
Reply 2
Not everyone realizes you can't get A* at AS, I know I didn't know that until much later into the year as I never thought to ask and teachers never thought to tell me.

Wow. Usually I don't care about neg but when it's me trying to justify someone not being aware of something like this, I kind of lose a bit of faith. I was just being honest, I assumed (logically) that you could get an A* at AS then an A* at A2. I don't see how unless you were told otherwise, you would think otherwise.
(edited 11 years ago)
You have to get 90% at A2 level to get A*
Reply 4
HAHA, this is the funniest thread ever. Sorry mate its not that no one got an A* because that is IMPOSSIBLE in AS. Well done on the A though.
Reply 5
btw, what year did u get these grades
Reply 6
A* is for 90% across the whole two years
Reply 7
Same boat lol. I only found out I that the highest grade for AS was A after I'd done my AS exams. I even looked at the boundaries on AQAs website, but I couldn't see A* for AS subjects. I thought it was a mistake or something lol. Then my cousin laughed at me and did a facepalm.
Reply 8
Original post by beesbees

No an A* is for averaging a minimum of 80% over AS and A2, and averaging a minimum of 90% at A2.
Reply 9
Lol, it doesn't exist at AS like everyone else has said. Don't worry i think loads of people are in a similar position to this, i only knew much later in the year haha. Well done though, and you're on route for that A* next summer :-)
Original post by AK0001
No an A* is for averaging a minimum of 80% over AS and A2, and averaging a minimum of 90% at A2.

This is correct!
Original post by Ketchup!
err....there is no A* for AS subjects......
*facepalm*

*facepalm* lol yeah i just realised, just got off the phone to AQA, that sucks though, one of my friends got an A* in his AS courework though? To be fair it was our teacher that told him that, it hadn't been officially moderated by AQA.
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
You have to get 90% at A2 level to get A*

Is that on average though? So lets say i got 90% in Unit's 2 and 4 (The coursework Units) and 85% in Unit 1 and 95% In Unit 3 would that be an A*?
Original post by beesbees

Is that 90% on average in every unit or 90% or above in all 4 units?
Original post by Alevelsareboring
*facepalm* lol yeah i just realised, just got off the phone to AQA, that sucks though, one of my friends got an A* in his AS courework though? To be fair it was our teacher that told him that, it hadn't been officially moderated by AQA.

Your teacher probably meant his coursework was better than the 80 maximum UMS, and that it went beyond AS level standard of work. AQA would have given it an A grade, which would be the highest grade.
Oh dear.

You realise you can't get an A* in AS?
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Is that 90% on average in every unit or 90% or above in all 4 units?

You need 80% average of all the UMS, which is 320/400, with 90% from the A2 units, which is 180/200 (as AS is out of 200, and A2 is out of 200. You don't need 90% in AS to get an A*)

If you got 100% at AS and 89% at A2 you wouldn't get an A*, even though you'd have more than 360 UMS (90% overall), as you have to have 90% average from the A2 units, but only 80% of the overall UMS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
How on earth have you manage to reach this stage and not know that lol
Original post by AK0001

Huh? So averaging 80% at AS and 90% at A2 will get you an A*? What if you averaged higher than 80% in AS does that count towards achieving the A* or is it just anything over 80% in AS and anything over 90% in A2? So for instance if i averaged 92% in AS and 88% in A2 would i miss out or achieve an A*?
BTW, why do i have 9 thumbs down, who did i offend with my post?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending