The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by When you see it...
Okay fair enough. I do disagree though, because if intelligent people are working harder, then the intelligence is no longer a factor is it?

What? Them working harder/longer is a direct consequence of their intelligence.
Original post by Ultimate1

I think you're confusing intelligence with competence. You can have an incredibly intelligent incompetent because he's lazy that is worse at their job than a hard-working person of average intelligence.

I'll grant you being intelligent is useful for being able to become competent but it's not the same thing.
Original post by InternetGangster
What about the argument generally earn less than men because of when they have a child, which sets them back at the bottom of the money ladder again. Equal pay acts and anti discrimination acts have been enforced to prevent women of the same skill/ experience as men being paid less.

I think they should continue being payed whilst on maternity leave (I also think men should be payed on paternity leave, so don't accuse me of being sexist or anything. Hell, I'm male myself.) however, I don't think this is as simple an issue as many people make it out to be. I wrote a thread about it some time ago:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1935140
Reply 523
Original post by big-bang-theory
I think you're confusing intelligence with competence. You can have an incredibly intelligent incompetent because he's lazy that is worse at their job than a hard-working person of average intelligence.

I'll grant you being intelligent is useful for being able to become competent but it's not the same thing.

Perhaps. But when I wasn't using intelligence in the strictest sense of the word, ie someone who is very smart, but I was applying it in a general sense, for example someone who is better at their line of work than someone else, so in a way, competence is also included.
Reply 524
Hell, I'm male myself.)

Strong White Knight.

Yes, but there is no need to take into account intelligence - just work rate. Anyway, there is no feasible way to measure work rate, so I think everyone should be paid similar/the same. I think it is a moot point if one is a consequence of the other - that doesn't mean we should reward all intelligent people because they are generally more hard working by making intelligence a factor in wages. If we used work rate as the only criteria (not saying its feasible), hard working thick people would be payed the same as hard working intelligent people, whereas if you used intelligence as a factor in itself, this would not be the case, which I don't think is fair.
Strong White Knight.

What?
Reply 527
Yes, but there is no need to take into account intelligence - just work rate.

But you don't get it. In general, you need to be intelligent to get a higher work rate.
Anyway, there is no feasible way to measure work rate, so I think everyone should be paid similar/the same.

So someone who works 5 hours a day should be payed the same as someone who does 10 hours?
You mean you disagree? I don't think intelligent people should be payed more. What happened to equality? Or at least equality of opportunity.

Sure, intelligent people don't necessarily do better in toilet cleaning jobs. But in the high salary jobs intelligent people do a better job, so should get paid more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 529
What?

A white knight is defined as a male that treats woman as goddesses and does nothing but shower then in compliments on how wonderful and beautiful and special they are. Maybe be used as a noun or a verb.
What a stupid sweeping statement.

It really isn't. The sooner you "feminists" accept this the better.
But you don't get it. In general, you need to be intelligent to get a higher work rate.

So someone who works 5 hours a day should be payed the same as someone who does 10 hours?

So if you are indirectly pay clever people more because they work harder, I have no problem with that, as long as intelligence is not a criteria in itself.
No, I mean per hour and by work rate I mean within each hour (i.e. some people no doubt piss about at work and don't get much done I don't think they should be payed the same as people who mostly just get on with it. Then again, how do you determine who works hard?).
So if you are indirectly pay clever people more because they work harder, I have no problem with that, as long as intelligence is not a criteria in itself.
No, I mean per hour and by work rate I mean within each hour (i.e. some people no doubt piss about at work and don't get much done I don't think they should be payed the same as people who mostly just get on with it. Then again, how do you determine who works hard?).

I'm pretty sure being a theoretical physicist is harder than cleaning toilets.
Reply 533
Lol cannot believe that you are trying to justify the uphill battle he struggled if he decided to not plead guilty and defend himself, solely because of a girl's word which had no evidence to it. Just shows what feminism has achieved.

The odds were so hugely stacked against him, because of a girl's word that it was better for him to serve five years than to serve 41 years in prison if he was found guilty (Which was extremely likely). The lawyer is not stupid to suggest to him that it is better to plead guilty as opposed to pleading not guilty. And as you have just seen, he was not guilty, yet still pleaded guilty because he had no choice. The justice system needs an overhaul, if any other case came up with only a testimony and no evidence it wouldn't have even made it to the court.

Original post by electriic_ink
It's funny, isn't it, that you're trying to blame the man for what went wrong. "It's his fault for not pleading 'not guilty'!", you say. I would bet any amount of money that if the genders were reversed, you would blame society for placing the victim (who, in this case, would be female) in a position where she's better off pleading 'no contest' than 'not guilty' for a crime she didn't commit.

I accept that she is wrong to make false accusations. I do believe that not pleading not guilty hurt his defence. That doesn't mean I am blaming him for being wrongly imprisoned based on that. I pointed out that that decision may have biased the people who made that decision against him and may not have helped. Ultimately it is still definitely the woman's fault since she made he false accusation. There are problems in society's view on people (mostly male) who are accused of committing rape.

As bad as this might sound I'd rather have the support there for women or men who do come forward to report a rape than to have them made to feel uncomfortable (wrong word I think) and for people to dismiss their claims because they don't want to treat the accused rapist too harshly. Ultimately the balance should be somewhere between the two extremes but as that isn't likely to happen in the future then while innocent until proven guilty should definitely be the case refusing to believe any woman/man who says they has been raped but has little physical evidence would be wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 534

Original post by vedderfan94

^

This
A white knight is defined as a male that treats woman as goddesses and does nothing but shower then in compliments on how wonderful and beautiful and special they are. Maybe be used as a noun or a verb.

I don't treat women as godesses at all lol. I treat them in the same way as men - I don't discriminate.

It really isn't. The sooner you "feminists" accept this the better.

Thanks for telling me what I believe in. :rolleyes:
I suppose all muslims are terrorists and the sooner mainstream muslims accept this the better.

...but people without the intelligence to be 'theoretical physicists' (what the hell do they do anyway? :confused:) don't have the opportunity to do so - no matter how hard they work, they can't do it. Are you saying they should be punished because of their lack of intelligence?
Original post by VaVe
As bad as this might sound I'd rather have the support there for women who do come forward to report a rape

You are a typical feminist. You say you support gender equality and yet your posts reveal that the opposite is true. Are you implying that men can't be rape victims or that support networks for male rape victims shouldn't exist?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 538
...but people without the intelligence to be 'theoretical physicists' (what the hell do they do anyway? :confused:) don't have the opportunity to do so - no matter how hard they work, they can't do it. Are you saying they should be punished because of their lack of intelligence?

Life's not fair, you have to deal with it and make the most of what you've got.

Not everyone are born heirs to millions, so should the Government be handing out millions to everyone?

Not punished, just paid less. Theoretical physicists have to go through GCSEs, then A levels, then an undergraduate degree (and usually a masters), then a PhD and THEN they are fully qualified for physics jobs. Toilet cleaners are usually the people who drop out before completing their GCSEs or have completed only GCSEs. So they have worked a lot harder to get to where they are and so should be paid more.

Latest