The Student Room Group

Why are "A" grades considered mediocre?

Scroll to see replies

At GCSE "A" grades are common but not at A level.
It's about 10% of the students who get As at A level, you are having a laugh if you think that's common.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I do wish people would stop saying this. Oxbridge for the most part care far less about GCSEs than do, e.g., the top London uni's; they don't really need to care about GCSEs, since they have access to lots of information to which other uni's for the most part don't, such as admissions tests and interviews.

Buffoons*. And the word was "mediocre", not "average". Those words are quite different.

Point still stands even with the vastly different word mediocre.
Original post by Maker
A grades are really B grades because of the A* grade which is now really A grade. In the next few years, there will be A** grades and A* grades will be considered B grades and B grades C grades.

I'd like to disagree with you, but...
Original post by alexandraa
I hate how everyone says they have become easier!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I knew this would happen They're no doubt about it, they have, I'm not saying from when I did them to when you did them, but over the last 25 years, with the exception of Maths, they have without a doubt, the jump from GCSE to A Levels has increasingly become wider. Ask any Teacher who's been at your school for at least a decade!
Reply 84
Original post by rock.and.rose
x

spencer reid!!! :biggrin:
Reply 85
Original post by ConnorB
I knew this would happen They're no doubt about it, they have, I'm not saying from when I did them to when you did them, but over the last 25 years, with the exception of Maths, they have without a doubt, the jump from GCSE to A Levels has increasingly become wider. Ask any Teacher who's been at your school for at least a decade!

It is good that it has become easier because it makes A-levels inevitably harder as there is a greater jump between GCSE and A-levels. I guess this would help sort out who is University material and who isn't.Which is why it annoys me when people say A-levels are geting easier :O
Original post by Becca94
spencer reid!!! :biggrin:

:biggrin: He's someone who would get A* in everything. In fact they'd have to invent a new grade for him A**********. :wink:
Original post by cuckoo99
It is good that it has become easier because it makes A-levels inevitably harder as there is a greater jump between GCSE and A-levels. I guess this would help sort out who is University material and who isn't.Which is why it annoys me when people say A-levels are geting easier :O

A levels, would have become easier if they hadn't of reformed them back in 2008 because of the information avaialble to us to use to revise for has exploded thanks to the internet!

A-levels are now much more about applying knowledge rather than regurgitation. and more controversially Speed Writing aswell! :rolleyes:
Reply 88
Original post by ConnorB
As an A level student I can safely say that while GCSE's have become easier, a A grade is still no walk in the park. C is still mediocre :smile:

As an A-Level student I can safely say that you haven't got any younger siblings doing their GCSEs, or at least haven't been helping them revise.
Original post by AspiringGenius
Even A and B grades are acceptable for Medicine at GCSE level.

OP: A grades aren't mediocre. In my school, only 10 people got 10 A grades or more out of 250. Considering also that they allowed BTEC qualifications in this accumulation, A grades are still very respected where I live.

people who say As aren't good enough are incredibly blind, or blighted by pretentiousness. In fact I'd go so far as to say a B is still considered a very good grade, and C the standard. 50% of the population get 5C grades or more including Englisha nd Maths which eans 50% do not. I would say if you are exceeding that baseark then you are doing well.

I wasn't saying A/B grades aren't acceptable by medical schools :smile:. I was talking about people's perceptions of A/B grades and that medical applicants in general regard B grades, at least, as 'mediocre' even though outside of medical applicants and TSR users B grades are viewed as very good.
Reply 90
Original post by rock.and.rose
:biggrin: He's someone who would get A* in everything. In fact they'd have to invent a new grade for him A**********. :wink:

Oh how i wish i had reid's brain! :wink:
Reply 91
For everyone talking about Maths grade boundaries, for my last two exams (edexcel) the grade boundaries were 90% for an A* (54/60), and 86% (52/50). So, based on that, I wouldn't say maths grade boundaries were too high, at least on edexcel.
Reply 92
Because generally, boundaries are generous for people to get an A, so many people get an A. It's just not considered 'WOW' anymore!
It is generally the case on TSR, as so many people here aiming to study medicine at oxbridge, they need a solid set of A*s at GCSE, so they just see anything below a fail.

I will be lucky to get 3-4 A*s for GCSE, so imagine how I feel when I see everyone here predicted nearly all A*s. It makes me feel like a mediocre student, which I know really I am much higher than mediocre, but still!

A mediocre student is someone with a few As, big chunk of Bs, and one or two C's.
Original post by jwf13
For everyone talking about Maths grade boundaries, for my last two exams (edexcel) the grade boundaries were 90% for an A* (54/60), and 86% (52/50). So, based on that, I wouldn't say maths grade boundaries were too high, at least on edexcel.

I think that's pretty high personally! I do edexcel but mine are out of 100? :s-smilie:

I think that's pretty high personally! I do edexcel but mine are out of 100? :s-smilie:

All the new specs must be out of 100 now :smile:
Reply 95
People who say A grades are mediocre may be academically smart, but they evidently have no common sense. Who did they survey? 80% aspiring doctors/oxford students? Achieving an A grade is actually well above average for the real world, and most people actually leave with mostly C's. People need to consider that there are a lot of public schools where basically 75% of them are happy with C's.
I don't think A grades are considered mediocre at all! My school is pretty decent(maybe) and it isn't common for people to get A's in subjects such as Maths, English, Science and History etc. In fact whenever we seem to get results for small contributions to our final grade, only several people do well. For example in my English class, only around 3 people got an A* for English Language, and only a couple got A's, the rest were B's and C's; and this is supposedly top set. I'm over the moon when I get A's! Of course I'd prefer to get A*'s, but only in subjects that really matter to me. A's are great in my opinion :smile:

As for people saying that GCSEs have become easier, I see what they mean, but only in terms of revision! People who did them before the internet was full of past papers and websites specifically designed for certain subjects and exam boards definitely had a disadvantage, but I doubt the papers and their content have changed much. Looking at past papers from around 8 years ago, I think they seem a lot easier, especially for subjects like Maths!
Original post by Lucy96
I don't think A grades are considered mediocre at all! My school is pretty decent(maybe) and it isn't common for people to get A's in subjects such as Maths, English, Science and History etc. In fact whenever we seem to get results for small contributions to our final grade, only several people do well. For example in my English class, only around 3 people got an A* for English Language, and only a couple got A's, the rest were B's and C's; and this is supposedly top set. I'm over the moon when I get A's! Of course I'd prefer to get A*'s, but only in subjects that really matter to me. A's are great in my opinion :smile:

As for people saying that GCSEs have become easier, I see what they mean, but only in terms of revision! People who did them before the internet was full of past papers and websites specifically designed for certain subjects and exam boards definitely had a disadvantage, but I doubt the papers and their content have changed much. Looking at past papers from around 8 years ago, I think they seem a lot easier, especially for subjects like Maths!

Same, in my English Top Set we have finished sitting it all (English Language) this year (Year 10). Only two of us got A*s overall, a few As and majority Bs and some less. I think this is one of the only GCSEs where an A* is credible :smile:
Reply 98

I do modular (edexcel b), and yeah, I always find the exams pretty hard as well, I guess everyone else just finds them easy :redface:

Maybe you do Linear, I think they're out of 100 :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by Coke1
Because generally, boundaries are generous for people to get an A, so many people get an A. It's just not considered 'WOW' anymore!
It is generally the case on TSR, as so many people here aiming to study medicine at oxbridge, they need a solid set of A*s at GCSE, so they just see anything below a fail.

I will be lucky to get 3-4 A*s for GCSE, so imagine how I feel when I see everyone here predicted nearly all A*s. It makes me feel like a mediocre student, which I know really I am much higher than mediocre, but still!

A mediocre student is someone with a few As, big chunk of Bs, and one or two C's.

Getting only Bs at GCSE if you want to carry on education to uni is decent enough. I got almost completely Bs (and a C + 4 ICT passes) and I'm doing fine (pretty much guaranteed my A* in A level Maths for example).

And I don't know if it's the same for GCSE, but exam boards skew the grade boundaries depending on how much of the population got a certain amount of marks. THEY don't want a high number of a people getting really high grades so obviously they aren't making it easier for people to get higher grades. Obviously they can't make it really high, but they will make it so only a certain amount of people get A grades.

And at A level, the inclusion of A* grades does not devalue the A. Exam boards have had to make the exams considerably harder for second year exams to be able to distinguish between the A and A* students more definitely meaning the exams have gotten harder while the grade boundaries have been consistent.

Quick Reply

Latest