The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Year abroad

Hi I have a place to study Chemeng in October and I would love to do a year in Germany.

However I don't have it at gcse or above level, which I know is the usual requirement.

I am in the process of learning German now, does anybody know from experience if I might be able to be accepted? I don't know if I'd have to do some sort of test or something, I'm sure by the time I get to Imperial I'll be above gcse standard.
Reply 1
bump
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Muscovite
if you don't have german to gcse level; you wont be accepted - simple as. My friend is doing the same as you but with biology and france

In the course requirements it says are usually required. I wondered what the exceptions were. Surely you aren't telling me that just because someone doesn't have a gcse in a language they have no ability to speak it.
Reply 3
Original post by Chow mein
I'm sure by the time I get to Imperial I'll be above gcse standard.

Original post by Muscovite
read what I said: "if you don't have german to gcse level"

Perhaps you should have read what I said in my OP
Reply 4
Nobody on here can tell you to be honest, email the university because that's the only useful response you will receive. I'm guessing the reply would be a no unless between now and starting you can achieve some sort of GCSE equivalent qualification in German. I'm not passing judgement about your level of German, but you say you are in the process - learning a language takes time and you'd need to be at such a level where you'd be more or less fluent by the time you're in your third year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lukas1051
Nobody on here can tell you to be honest, email the university because that's the only useful response you will receive. I'm guessing the reply would be a no unless between now and starting you can achieve some sort of GCSE equivalent qualification in German. I'm not passing judgement about your level of German, but you say you are in the process - learning a language takes time and you'd need to be at such a level where you'd be more or less fluent by the time you're in your third year.

Thanks you are right I just wondered if anyone might have been in a similar situation. I emailed them and the response I got was kind of "You can join the year abroad stream but if you suck we will kick you off." Which I'm happy with as long as I get a chance!
If it turns out your German isn't good enough, but you really want to go abroad, there are universities that lecture in English in Sweden, I think in France, and in the Netherlands (where I'll be next year!).
Actually, the GCSE requirement is there to ensure that you are at the minimum standard to attain the required standard of language by the time you would be going abroad. If, however you can demonstrate language to the required level in advance of your year abroad (i.e at the end of the year before the year abroad when everyone has their language oral exams) there's no reason why they wouldn't accept you.
Isn't it meant to be a B at AS/Level or A at GCSE? That's what I saw when I checked for Chemical Engineering :biggrin:
Reply 9
Thanks everyone, Yeah I think it says a B at gcse but after speaking to the admissions tutor it seems it is only a rough guideline and they are pretty flexible as long as I reach the required standard (complete level 3 German by the end of 2nd year) then I can go.
Reply 10
I think Switzerland(ETH in Zürich) might be an option for you. They teach in English and German so if your German ain't good enough by then, you can just switch language(I guess).
Reply 11
I just find the idea that having a GCSE in a language, especially one from a couple of years ago, proves you have any real competence or fluency a bit ridiculous.
I just find the idea that having a GCSE in a language, especially one from a couple of years ago, proves you have any real competence or fluency a bit ridiculous.

Even having an a level doesn't make you fluent... So a GCSE is bundle of laughs :tongue:

Quick Reply