The Student Room Group

GCSE Art help :)

Hi :smile: any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I've just finished year 10 (today actually - eeeeeeek!), and this years Art topic was on 'gardens and natural forms'.

Next year her guideline is 'junk' but if we don't have to follow her, we can create our own 'topic'.

I need to basically by this time next year, have a sketchbook, several pieces on canvas and some photography on my 'topic'.

But I can't decide what the topic should be.

Any suggestions? I like bright colours, and find my art is better when it's bright rather than dark and miserable. I like painting with acrylic and pastels rather than pencil and watercolours.

Thank you :smile:

I'd really appreciate replies ASAP as I've got to d some work for it over the summer.

C x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your fondness for bright for bright colours made me think immediately of Pop Art. Are you interested in portraiture at all? To make it more personal, perhaps you could do some Pop Art prints of your family. Though perhaps it's not such a good idea to focus on the over used Andy Warhol; try to find some lesser known Pop Artists instead.
The fact that you've said you like bright colours makes me think of Pop Art, like the previous poster said, but you could also look into printmaking with different colours. You could look at the cubist movement and of course Picasso, and/or Fauvism and Henri Matisse, Andre Derain and Maurice de Vlaminck.
I know they're not ideas of topics but perhaps they might spark your imagination and some "contextual research" is always handy, I didn't look at many artists honestly for GCSE but now I'm doing A Level it is really a necessity, I think I went about my GCSE Art the wrong way :redface:
If you can come up with any themes that you find interesting, for example anatomy, mechanics, movement or sequence then I could try and help you further, if you wanted :smile:
I think it's really important that you pick a topic that you're interested in and that could branch off to make many different types of "final pieces", you may feel like making something 3D! You never know :smile:
Good luck!
...I think I rambled a bit :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by dark-blue
Your fondness for bright for bright colours made me think immediately of Pop Art. Are you interested in portraiture at all? To make it more personal, perhaps you could do some Pop Art prints of your family. Though perhaps it's not such a good idea to focus on the over used Andy Warhol; try to find some lesser known Pop Artists instead.

Thank you for your ideas :smile: I was scared of doing pop art as although it uses bright colours it's extremely over-used!
Reply 4
Original post by badbodydouble
The fact that you've said you like bright colours makes me think of Pop Art, like the previous poster said, but you could also look into printmaking with different colours. You could look at the cubist movement and of course Picasso, and/or Fauvism and Henri Matisse, Andre Derain and Maurice de Vlaminck.
I know they're not ideas of topics but perhaps they might spark your imagination and some "contextual research" is always handy, I didn't look at many artists honestly for GCSE but now I'm doing A Level it is really a necessity, I think I went about my GCSE Art the wrong way :redface:
If you can come up with any themes that you find interesting, for example anatomy, mechanics, movement or sequence then I could try and help you further, if you wanted :smile:
I think it's really important that you pick a topic that you're interested in and that could branch off to make many different types of "final pieces", you may feel like making something 3D! You never know :smile:
Good luck!
...I think I rambled a bit :colondollar:

Thank you for your ideas! I was scared of doing pop art as I thought it was slightly over used. After some thought, I've considered the topic of 'identity'. Using different countries, famous artists from them particular countries and what not. How would that be do you recon? Or is it too vague? I was considering doing England (telephone box, postbox, stamps, London busses, big Ben), India (sari's, elephants), Australia (boomerang, surfboardsm kangaroos) and a few others.
I've also just finished year 10 and my topics this year were autobiography and ordinary/extraordinary (which I thought was brilliant as you can interpret it in so many different ways)... There's also topics such as food, distortion, overhead and underneath, contrast, movement...a google search will also bring up loads of good results :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clodybo2010
Thank you for your ideas! I was scared of doing pop art as I thought it was slightly over used. After some thought, I've considered the topic of 'identity'. Using different countries, famous artists from them particular countries and what not. How would that be do you recon? Or is it too vague? I was considering doing England (telephone box, postbox, stamps, London busses, big Ben), India (sari's, elephants), Australia (boomerang, surfboardsm kangaroos) and a few others.

I think Identity could be great!
You could look at how artists show their identity through their work or how we express our own identity, but I like the idea of showing how countries are represented :smile: you could look at all the different countries but then narrow it down to one for your final piece or make something that encorporates them all!
I guess "Identity" could have many different meanings but as long as you make it clear how your ideas relate and feature in "identity" then I think it would be fine, I mean you could explore Identity in different forms such as identity theft or someone's personality if you had time or wanted to :smile:
You could look at patterns and fabrics associated with different countries (I'm guessing India would be a great one for that) if you're into fashion or textiles at all.
I bet you could come up with something awesome though by looking at different countries and their cultures! :smile:
Just finished my art gcse and we had some quite good topics
We had stuff like "gather" and "flowers" which might be good as you like bright colours? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Some of my topics for A2 Art are Unusual Perspective, Sequence, Street Life, Human Form or Distressed, if they give you any inspiration. :smile:
Reply 9
Bright colours makes me think of jewels or flowers...
Some of my topics for A2 Art are Unusual Perspective, Sequence, Street Life, Human Form or Distressed, if they give you any inspiration. :smile:

I'd love to do distressed !!!!

Reply 11
For my GCSE we did 'Nature in Art', 'Wild' and 'Layers'. :smile:
Reply 12
I think Identity could be great!
You could look at how artists show their identity through their work or how we express our own identity, but I like the idea of showing how countries are represented :smile: you could look at all the different countries but then narrow it down to one for your final piece or make something that encorporates them all!
I guess "Identity" could have many different meanings but as long as you make it clear how your ideas relate and feature in "identity" then I think it would be fine, I mean you could explore Identity in different forms such as identity theft or someone's personality if you had time or wanted to :smile:
You could look at patterns and fabrics associated with different countries (I'm guessing India would be a great one for that) if you're into fashion or textiles at all.
I bet you could come up with something awesome though by looking at different countries and their cultures! :smile:

I was thinking of doing the countries and showing grow they represent themselves so India would be great (with all the bright coloured materials on their outfits!) I'm deffinately thinking of sticking to the ideas of the countries though as I think there are so many different ideas I'd never run out!
Reply 13
Original post by the bear
Bright colours makes me think of jewels or flowers...

I did flowers in with 'nature and natural forms' so unfortunately can't do that again!
Reply 14
Original post by fajita.and.friends
I've also just finished year 10 and my topics this year were autobiography and ordinary/extraordinary (which I thought was brilliant as you can interpret it in so many different ways)... There's also topics such as food, distortion, overhead and underneath, contrast, movement...a google search will also bring up loads of good results :smile:

How did you do autobiography?!
Original post by alexandraa
I'd love to do distressed !!!!

I've looked into it a little bit and it does seem really good, I'd love to photograph derelict houses :love:
I think I'm going to do "Unusual Perspective" and look at artists that use text in their work, and look at Typography and then perhaps create something 3D like an installation with text, I want to try something different :biggrin:
Original post by Clodybo2010
I was thinking of doing the countries and showing grow they represent themselves so India would be great (with all the bright coloured materials on their outfits!) I'm deffinately thinking of sticking to the ideas of the countries though as I think there are so many different ideas I'd never run out!

That would be awesome, good luck with it! :smile:
Reply 17
That would be awesome, good luck with it! :smile:

Thank you Hun!xx
Roy Litchenstein has some great pop-art which is really bright and colourful and Andy Warhol is also good. If you can over the holidays, go to the Tate Modern in London as they have a Litchenstein piece and this would be great for research!
When i did GCSE art i chose natural structures and from that i did flowers which can be bright and colourful :smile:
Good luck
Reply 19
Original post by EmmyLauren
Roy Litchenstein has some great pop-art which is really bright and colourful and Andy Warhol is also good. If you can over the holidays, go to the Tate Modern in London as they have a Litchenstein piece and this would be great for research!
When i did GCSE art i chose natural structures and from that i did flowers which can be bright and colourful :smile:
Good luck

Thanks Hun! Shall try and get down to London and have a look :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending