The Student Room Group

Universal Jobmatch - New Jobcentre job search system

I was surprised no one has posted about this yet.

This is the new system that job seekers are using (only became active today).

For those who don't know:

Universal Jobmatch has replaced the Jobcentre Plus job search tool.

Anyone looking for work can register. Once you’ve done this you can:

create an online CV or upload one you already have
search and apply for jobs
get email alerts when companies post jobs that match your CV
Universal Jobmatch will keep a record of the jobs you’ve applied for so you can discuss them with your Jobcentre Plus adviser.

https://www.gov.uk/jobs-jobsearch

In my opinion this sounds good as the jobcentre plus job search was never very good.

Anyone yet been able to get onto the new system yet? My gateway ID is not being accepted.

If you have managed to get onto it what do you think of it?

I will update on whether I like the new system or not when I finally get on. Sounds like they are having problems with implementing the new system and I have been advised to make a new gateway account to fix the login issue.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I imagine there's a lot of trouble with this government gateway bull****. You don't need to register to search for work, it's allegedly being implemented so JSA claimants can be more closely monitored.

The website is buggy as hell!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by grumbeale
I imagine there's a lot of trouble with this government gateway bull****. You don't need to register to search for work, it's allegedly being implemented so JSA claimants can be more closely monitored.

The website is buggy as hell!

Thanks for the info that I don't need to register. When I tried searching this morning I kept being taken to a login page which is no longer happening.

Yeah I agree that the site is really buggy so far. Seems to be having problems refining distance.

Yes the website will be removing the booklet you have to fill in with your job search history each week and yes it does give them a way to monitor you closely.
Reply 3
Original post by Politics Student
Thanks for the info that I don't need to register. When I tried searching this morning I kept being taken to a login page which is no longer happening.

Yeah I agree that the site is really buggy so far. Seems to be having problems refining distance.

Yes the website will be removing the booklet you have to fill in with your job search history each week and yes it does give them a way to monitor you closely.

Once you search for your area, click on the 'distance' around it. Starts off with 20 mile radius :tongue:
Original post by zaliack
Once you search for your area, click on the 'distance' around it. Starts off with 20 mile radius :tongue:

When I set it to a 5 mile or 2 mile radius it still lists jobs 20 miles away.

After making a second account as my first wont log me in I am stuck in email verification problem with the second account, as it refuses to log me in saying that the email address has not been verified then I go through the verification link which says successful and takes me back to the log in page to be told the email address is not verified... :angry:
When I set it to a 5 mile or 2 mile radius it still lists jobs 20 miles away.

After making a second account as my first wont log me in I am stuck in email verification problem with the second account, as it refuses to log me in saying that the email address has not been verified then I go through the verification link which says successful and takes me back to the log in page to be told the email address is not verified... :angry:

I had the same problem, so I tried another browser (went from chrome to firefox) and it worked. It seems okay for me, the mile radius and whatnot all works, it was pretty good, just went through the 400 jobs listed today and managed to apply to around three! =P.
Reply 6
I like this new feature, a lot better than the old one, which didn't allow me to open multiple job ads at once. Or if I've bookmarked the page, later when opening it, I got damn main page. I hope this new feature won't be like that :rolleyes: Also, there should be more job ads! I'm tired of visiting lots of the other websites, already have like over 200 bookmarks :biggrin:
Original post by NotYourAverage'
I had the same problem, so I tried another browser (went from chrome to firefox) and it worked. It seems okay for me, the mile radius and whatnot all works, it was pretty good, just went through the 400 jobs listed today and managed to apply to around three! =P.

I am having the same issue with all three accounts I have made. I am unable to login to the new system it just keeps me going round in circles claiming the email addresses require verification only to tell me that they are and then back to the error messages that the email address needs verification.

Getting the same issue with Firefox and Google Chrome.
I am having the same issue with all three accounts I have made. I am unable to login to the new system it just keeps me going round in circles claiming the email addresses require verification only to tell me that they are and then back to the error messages that the email address needs verification.

Getting the same issue with Firefox and Google Chrome.

I take it you've already signed up through gateway and verified with you unique ID.Surprisingly, I also had an error the first one or two times I tried to log in, so I kept going to he gateway for a new ID number on the same account lik 4 times hah! after that until it randomly worked, you might want to try that. Have you rang them up, it's awfully buggy still as well, but the system is really easy to navigate through.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I hate the new site :/ I'm not on JSA but I always used the site anyway ..
Reply 10
Glad to see a change, the previous search was pretty dire. Definitely be using this when I need to look for a summer job again.
Reply 11
When Job Centre Plus had it's own site the job search was very good, but when they incorporated it into direct.gov it went dire.

What's this gov.uk website? Is this different to direct.gov?
I take it you've already signed up through gateway and verified with you unique ID.Surprisingly, I also had an error the first one or two times I tried to log in, so I kept going to he gateway for a new ID number on the same account lik 4 times hah! after that until it randomly worked, you might want to try that. Have you rang them up, it's awfully buggy still as well, but the system is really easy to navigate through.

My account is finally working.

Yeah it is really buggy still, but I agree its a lot more user friendly. The fact you can just hit apply and choose which CV to send for some jobs is just great.

I am having issue with the distance settings as they simply don't seem to work sometimes. For example I was looking through the list of recommended and set to 2 miles but the list still had the odd job for Liverpool or London listed when I live in the SW lol
Is there anyway to get rid of the top 5 jobs recommended on the front page or at least set it by distance as I currently have 5 based in the other side of the country.

Update:
The really depressing thing is that by searching in my area for any jobs I am lucky to find one that I either have the skills for (lots of drivers and plumbers needed in my area) or is something I meet the basic experience required. So far I have applied for 2 jobs and one of those I don't come close to the experience required.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think you can get rid of the recommend, i agree that part is quite annoying. what's cool is the emails with similar jobs and skills, called career builders you receive as well, i applied to a job yesterday through it! with the distance and stuff, its weird, everytime i need to change it i can't do it on screen, i would have to click on jobs at the top again and then start my search all over, that way it doesnt appear to be buggy. i have seen vacancies out of say 5miles, but its quite rare on mine only when i do it the way described above. if i dont, i end up with thousands of more vacancies from all over the country!
I don't think you can get rid of the recommend, i agree that part is quite annoying. what's cool is the emails with similar jobs and skills, called career builders you receive as well, i applied to a job yesterday through it! with the distance and stuff, its weird, everytime i need to change it i can't do it on screen, i would have to click on jobs at the top again and then start my search all over, that way it doesnt appear to be buggy. i have seen vacancies out of say 5miles, but its quite rare on mine only when i do it the way described above. if i dont, i end up with thousands of more vacancies from all over the country!

Thanks that refresh method solved the distance issue (mostly). As a result my activity log is completely spammed lol

Still some of the job descriptions are awful. I just came across one which included this:

guaranteed minimum hours contracts, full employment rights, excellent rates of pay, prompt weekly payment on time and accurate

No info on the job role just more info about shifts, but I laughed at this section which is put across as 'job benefits'. Makes me really suspicious when they feel the need to stress that they will pay you and follow employment laws.

Edit: I did some digging for the job role info and managed to find that the companies website has a much better description which states:

At least 3 months paid experience in a care environment
Referees from previous employments covering the last 3 years

Pretty vital information and the job is set up so you just send off a CV. I only considered the job because it stated people 'Urgently' needed
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks that refresh method solved the distance issue (mostly). As a result my activity log is completely spammed lol

Still some of the job descriptions are awful. I just came across one which included this:

No info on the job role just more info about shifts, but I laughed at this section which is put across as 'job benefits'. Makes me really suspicious when they feel the need to stress that they will pay you and follow employment laws.

Haha yeah I think they might start making employers add better descriptions when showing vacancies in the future. Quite a few of the job descriptions were so bad I had no idea what the job actually was.
the localisation in search is pretty poor

the government gateway ID is primarily for JSA etc as it records your activities and it can be used as evidence towards your number of searches and number of applications.
Reply 18
The problem with all these government searches has always been their refusal to acknowledge that there are no jobs. The search results within two and five miles of the postcode I provide reveal the same 22 jobs. Except none of them are within two or five miles of the postcode. The results within 10 miles suddenly spike to 183 results and within 20 miles to 710. Of the first eight jobs within 20 miles only one is actually within 20 miles. The others are 25, 26, 28, 32, 33, 33 and 33 miles away. Why even bother providing search variables if they do not 'work'?
Original post by zippyRN
the localisation in search is pretty poor

the government gateway ID is primarily for JSA etc as it records your activities and it can be used as evidence towards your number of searches and number of applications.

I have been told that the new system is replacing that booklet we fill out each week (fine by me).

You can put notes in on activities on the site which is quite good. My advisor has already sent me messages with the system that oddly enough is only 1 way communication, so you cannot respond.

Original post by evantej
The problem with all these government searches has always been their refusal to acknowledge that there are no jobs. The search results within two and five miles of the postcode I provide reveal the same 22 jobs. Except none of them are within two or five miles of the postcode. The results within 10 miles suddenly spike to 183 results and within 20 miles to 710. Of the first eight jobs within 20 miles only one is actually within 20 miles. The others are 25, 26, 28, 32, 33, 33 and 33 miles away. Why even bother providing search variables if they do not 'work'?

I have noticed the same issue. Even then in the areas I am looking for work when set for jobs posted in the last week only give 1 or 2 jobs. Quite a few of the jobs listed are constantly recruiting commission only door to door/telephone sales which I wont touch.

Another note they really do need to fix the job descriptions. I am wasting quite a lot of time researching the job in the jobs you just hit apply and select the CV, as vital information (such as the requirement to own a car or to have a qualification in X or Y) is just not listed.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest