The Student Room Group

Piercing at Claires!

I'm thinking of getting an ear piercing at the top of my ear (cartilage?) at Claires Accessories. I had the bottom of my ears done at Claire's and they were great, and the aftercare was good as well.

Just had a few questions about it first:

1. Does anyone know how much Claire's charge for top of the ear piercings? (i.e. with a standard small stud in it?)
2. Do these piercings hurt more or less or about the same as ear piercings at the bottom of the ear (in the lobe?)
3. In your opinion, which ear (left or right) looks better with a cartilage piercing?

I checked out the Claires webpage for this info before posting here, but couldnt find the relevant information! Any help will be really appreciated!

Thanks guys!

:suith: A :suith:

Scroll to see replies

Your font colour is really hard to read.

Dont hurt any more than the lowers ones, I say the best side is right ear, all my girlie mates have them in there right. :biggrin:

Edit: You edited the colour alot better
Reply 2
Tractor-girlie
Your font colour is really hard to read.

Dont hurt any more than the lowers ones, I say the best side is right ear, all my girlie mates have them in there right. :biggrin:

Edit: You edited the colour alot better

lol yeah didnt realise how hard that colour was to read, until i posted the message! :smile:
Reply 3
DO NOT GET YOUR CARTILEGE PIERCED AT CLAIRE'S
Reply 4
Claire's use piercing guns. This is what happens when you get your cartilage pierced with a piercing gun.

And their aftercare lotion is crap. You only need to do salt water soaks twice a day. You don't need any fancy stuff because that just irritates the piercing.

It will hurt a lot more if you get your cartilage pierced with a gun. If it ever heals, it will take a long, long time.
Reply 5
Juno
Claire's use piercing guns. This is what happens when you get your cartilage pierced with a piercing gun.

And their aftercare lotion is crap. You only need to do salt water soaks twice a day. You don't need any fancy stuff because that just irritates the piercing.

It will hurt a lot more if you get your cartilage pierced with a gun. If it ever heals, it will take a long, long time.

:eek: eeeewww! thats all i cam say to that! but if claires have pierced '80 million ears' and i would say a good section of those were cartilage piercings..wouldnt they have worked out not to use a gun????
If your worried get it done somewhere else, there are loads of places that do it but its highly unlikely your ear will go like that tho.
Reply 7
Anon-a-mouse

:eek: eeeewww! thats all i cam say to that! but if claires have pierced '80 million ears' and i would say a good section of those were cartilage piercings..wouldnt they have worked out not to use a gun????

They don't care about problems afterwards though, as by then they've got your money. And they pierce immature people who don't know any better.

Guns are not supposed to be used for cartilage piercings. They're better for lobe piercings, but even then cause a lot of trauma. And they can't be sterilised properly, so you risk getting anything that other people who have been pierced have. Including nice diseases like hepatitis.

Check out BME
Reply 8
Just to add another side of a story, i have my cartilage pierced twice at the top - once by claires and once by a hairdressers. (One done at claires was actually a mate practicing, it was the first time she'd done a cartilage piercing!)

I've never had any problems with either, but i do think if i had it done again i'd probably go for a needle just to be safe.
Reply 9
Everyone I know would say never get your ears done there. It's free for a reason.
Reply 10
It does hurt more than your lobes, i couldn't sleep on mine for aaaages.

I asked around places near me and ended up getting it with a needle for £15- much cheaper than claire's and probably a it safer.
ive had mine done by a piercing gun - but i didnt go to claires, got it done at a jewellers shop! Only cost me 3 quid and it didnt get infected or anything!
Reply 12
I've had all my ear piercings done at Claires apart from the first set! But this was all back in the day where they let you petend you were 16 when it was obvious you were like 12!

I have friends who had their cartilage done there with the gun and it shattered it and it swelled up and left a big bump at the back, however had kine done there and it was fine, just lucky I guess!

I would personally go for the needle not the gun just to avoid any risk! Oh and I thought it hurt less, maybe I'm just random and have strange ears!
Reply 13
Don't go to Claire's!
It won't be that much cheaper than a real piercing place - I paid 15 for mine at a piercing studio.

Mine hurt slightly more than a lobe piercing but nothing too painful.

And I don't think it really matters whether you have the left of right one done. Mine's in my left ear.
Reply 14
I would never go to Claire's for a piercing. Actually, none of my friends would either.
Reply 15
Basically, when they use a gun, it shatters your cartilege. If you were to put a sheet of paper behind your ear while it was pierced, you'd see a huge spray of bits of your ear left on it.

Its not only dangerous to your ear, but to the piercer too!
Im certainly not immature and i got my ears done at claires and had no problem. Ppl will prob go ahead and slate me but it was my choice.
also though i do want to add that i would NEVER get cartilidge pierced with a gun. surely its way to hard for that. It would shatter, shocked they offer it with gun really
Reply 18
I used to work for Claire’s! and was an ear piercer. This is an exaggeration, that your ear will get infected! Have had loads of customers come back for their 6-12 week check-up after getting a cartilage piercing, and they were all fine. No problems at all.

It is up to you, don't let people opinions get to you, it's your decision. Claire's wouldn't be given an ear-piercing license if they were not allowed to pierce cartilages with guns. I can see where some of you are coming from, as body-piercers use needles it’s safer. But in the time I've worked for Claire’s (2 years) have had NO complaints at all about any piercing.

I got my cartilage pierced with a gun too btw, and it's fine! no problems.

To answer your questions...
1) A plain white gold or gold stud would be £12.50
2) IMO it didn't feel any different
3) It doesn't matter what ear it's on, it will look the same lol but mine's on left:biggrin:
Reply 19
i had my 2 sets of lobes, & my cartilage pierced at Claires. i've not had any problem with any of them. & no, i wasn't a little kid who didn't know better when i got mine done - first lobes at 17, cartilage at 18, & 2nd lobes at 19! really, i haven't heard of anyone who's had an problems with piercings from Claires

Latest