The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Mediterranean Lamb - good if you're making dinner for people and want something that looks more complicated than it is :biggrin:

Ingredients for 2 people:
About 400g diced lamb (or buy neck fillet and dice it yourself)
1 courgette (2 if you really like courgettes!)
1 red onion
Chicken stock cube
4 spoons of lemon juice
3 spoons of tomato puree
Dried apricots (optional)
Pinch of cumin (optional, but recommended)
2 cups of rice

Brown the lamb in a light layer of oil. Put the rice to soak in a bowl of cool water for 5 minutes and stir occasionally to release the starch (stops it going sticky)

Add the onion to the lamb. Make up the chicken stock cube, and add the tomato puree and lemon juice to make a thin sauce.

Drain the rice, then add clean boiling water and a pinch of salt, and put it on a medium heat. Stir occasionally.

Add courgettes to lamb and onion, then add sauce. Cook sauce for about 10 mins (or until the rice is done) to thicken it a little.

Add apricots and cumin to lamb and sauce, cook for a further minute or 2.

Drain rice, serve with lamb mixture.

Typing that has made me hungry :smile:
I made this for our dinner yesterday and it was extremely yummy! I'd advise going easy with the cayenne pepper unless you like it hot! Where it says minced, I just shoved them in a pestle and mortar!

Kabuli Chana Daal
(Chickpea Daal)

2 cans chickpeas
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
up to 1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice

-Drain and coarsely chop one can of chickpeas
-Blend the other can of chickpeas, including the liquid, to a puree
-Heat nonstick pan over a moderate heat
-Add cumin seeds. Stir until they crackle- around 10 seconds
-Add onion, ginger and garlic. Stir until onion is translucent
-Add turmeric, coriander and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 20 seconds- Do not burn!!
-Add tomatoes
-Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer 1 minute
-Add all the chickpeas
-Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes to allow flavours to blend. Add salt to taste.
-Add lime juice and stir.

It doesn't hurt to cook it a bit longer- we served it with paratha and it was yummy!
Anyone got a nice recipe for macaroni cheese?
Reply 263
Mars bar mini placed on a choc digestive then 1min in the microwave....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Reply 264
Teddy1692
Mars bar mini placed on a choc digestive then 1min in the microwave....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I thought no one else had discovered this! amaaaaaazzziiinnnngggg!
Reply 265
milliondollarcorpse
Anyone got a nice recipe for macaroni cheese?

1.Preheat to ~gas mark 7/ 200 degrees
2.Make a white sauce and cook the macaroni pasta.
3.Add cheese and a teaspoon of mustard to the white sauce.
4.mix together sauce and pasta
5.put in an oven proof dish and top with cheese
6.leave in oven till top is golden.
7.eat :yep:
Haven't posted in this thread for a while. Thought I would begin to start making a proper contribution after having helped revive it!

Chocolate Brownie with Raspberries

Ingredients
230g/8¼oz dark chocolate, 70 per cent cocoa solids, broken into pieces
115g/4¼oz butter
300g/10½oz caster sugar
5 free-range eggs, beaten
70g/2½oz plain flour
70g/2½oz cocoa powder
500g/1lb 2oz raspberries
100g/3¼oz icing sugar
250g/8¾oz mascarpone

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Line a 30cm/12in x 20cm/8in x 5cm/2in roasting tray with greaseproof paper.
2. To melt the chocolate, place the chocolate pieces into a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, and stir until smooth. Do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water.
3. In a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour and cocoa powder and mix well to combine, then add the melted chocolate and mix again until combined.
4. Sprinkle half of the raspberries evenly onto the bottom of the lined roasting tray and pour the brownie mixture over them. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the brownie mixture has set but is still slightly gooey in the middle. Set aside for 15-20 minutes to cool.
5. Blend the remaining raspberries and the icing sugar in a food processor until puréed, then sieve the mixture and reserve the liquid to make a coulis. In a bowl, mix a third of the coulis with the mascarpone until combined.
6. Spread the mascarpone mixture on top of the cooled brownie and drizzle some of the coulis over the top.
7. To serve, cut the brownie into rectangles and place onto serving plates. Drizzle the remaining coulis around the edge of each plate.

This makes a fantastic brownie!!! :eating:
I just made a really yummy stuffed pepper for lunch and thought i'd post the recipe cos it's great for vegetarians and is easy to make with relatively little ingredients! :biggrin:

(Serves 1)
Ingredients:

1 Pepper
40g Rice
30g Cheese
Salt
Pepper
1/2 tbsp Parsley (chopped) - I made mine without this and it still tasted nice!

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 2/300 degrees.
2. Boil the rice (use instructions on packet) and drain.
3. Slice off the pepper top, wash, remove seeds.
4. Stand the pepper upright in a saucepan containing 1/2 cup boiling water.
5. Cover the saucepan and let the pepper steam for 5 minutes.
6. Remove pepper and drain.
7. In a bowl, mix the rice, cheese, parsley, and add a pinch of salt and pepper to season.
8. Fill the pepper with the mixture.
9. Stand the stuffed pepper in a loaf tin or cupcake tin and bake in the oven for 15 minutes untill the filling is hot and the cheese has melted.
10. Enjoy!

The above recipe for one serving contains about 292 calories, so it's really good for a healthy lunch/dinner.

Note: You can probably add extra things to the rice filling if you like, such as peas, sweetcorn or even meat.
kestral

Top with breadcrumbs before putting in the oven :yep:
Reply 269
5 minute Chocolate cake in a Mug

You need:
1 Mug
4 tablespoons Self Raising Flour
4 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder (NOT instant hot chocolate crap)
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons Milk
3 Tablespoons Sunflower or Vegetable Oil

Now do this:
1. Dump the cocoa powder, flour and sugar into a large mug and mix with a fork until it is an even colour.
2. Break in the egg and mix it up some more (don't worry it the mixture gets really stiff, just do it as best you can)
3. Now add the oil and milk and mix until you have something that looks like cake mixture.
4. This mixture is quite tasty to eat on its own, but you can also wack it in the microwave on high power for 2-3 minutes, depending on your wattage. (Mine is 1000w and the cake is ready to eat after 2 1/2 minutes)

Enjoy straight from the mug or scooped out onto a plate with clotted cream.
Reply 270
SIMNEL CAKE!

Ingredients:
250g plain flour
175g unsalted butter, softened
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk
500g mixed fruit
50g glace cherries, halved
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 chunks crystallised ginger, sliced
Marzipan

Preheat the oven to 170C.

Beat the butter and sugar together til creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time. Add the milk and vanilla extract.

Add the salt and cinnamon to the flour and mix. Add the mixed fruit and cherries and mix together.

Bit by bit, fold the flour and fruit mixture into the wet ingredients. When combined, throw in the ginger and chopped chunks of marzipan.

Place half the mixture in a cake tin. Roll out the remaining marzipan into a circle and place over the mix. Place the rest of the cake mix on top of the marzipan.

Bake for an hour to an hour and half - use a skewer to check when the cake is baked.

Heaven!
Just made this cos my in-laws had given me some apples from their garden and I didn't know what to do with them, and it was very yummy!
I imagine it would be delicious with a toffee sauce drizzled over it:biggrin: :biggrin:

Apple cake with a brown sugar crust
Ingredients:
175g unsalted butter (soft, not straight out of the fridge)
175g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
175g self raising flour
2 apples, peeled and chopped
40g demerara sugar

Method:Preheat oven to Gas 4 / 180C / 350F and gerase deep cake tin/ovenproof dish
Cream butter and golden caster sugar together until fluffy then add eggs
Fold in flour, and then fold in the apple
Spoon mixture into tin/dish and sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top
BAke for 40 minutes until golden brown
Reply 272
Miso salmon!

For 2:

2 salmon steaks
2 tbsp miso paste
2 tsp rice vinegar
2-4 tsp sugar (to taste)
2 tsp chopped ginger
1 spring onion
Basmati rice
1 pack sugar snap peas

Mix the miso paste, rice vinegar, sugar and chopped ginger. Place the salmon in a pan underneath the grill and cook for 3 minutes, then turn over and cook again for 3 minutes. Then spread one side of the salmon with the miso sauce, cook for 5 minutes, turn over and spread the other side with the sauce and do another 5 minutes. Shortly before the salmon is finished, throw in some finely chopped spring onions.

Serve with basmati rice and sugar snap peas. Yummy!
Reply 273
kestral

White sauce? I've never been able to make one successfully... :s-smilie:

Idiot proof instructions? :o:

Merci!
Reply 274
heat up however much milk you want for the sauce. separately mix together a table spoon of cornflour and some cold milk - add to the hot milk when it is beginning to boil, and wait until it thickens. If you want it thicker, add some more cold milk and cornflour mixture.
Reply 275
kestral
heat up however much milk you want for the sauce. separately mix together a table spoon of cornflour and some cold milk - add to the hot milk when it is beginning to boil, and wait until it thickens. If you want it thicker, add some more cold milk and cornflour mixture.

Rep for you, merci!

:yep:
Reply 276
Broccoli cheese is really nice and easy to make - cook the broccoli in the microwave, then pack it into the base of a shallow ovenproof bowl.

I find it best to make the sauce by eye rather than weighing and measuring - if you're using a whole head of broccoli, use three to four knobs of butter. Melt the butter in a saucepan, and then add spoonfuls of plain flour until the sauce thickens. Add a little milk if it becomes too thick. Then throw in around 100g of grated smoked cheese (I like Applewood or any smoked cheddar), which is about half an average pack. Stir until melted, adding milk if necessary to thin the sauce out. Then pour over the broccoli and pop in the oven to brown for a few minutes. Gorgeous!
Reply 277
Note: I realize this is not technically a recipe in the strictest sense.

Pot Roast (requires a slow cooker):

Ingredients: 1 chuck roast, 1 package of onion soup mix, 4-5 red potatoes (or two larger potatoes), carrots (I use baby carrots because they require less work), 1 clove garlic (more if you really love garlic). Celery and onions are optional. I don't use exact amounts of ingredients because you use as many as you like.

Preparation: Very simple. Put the chuck roast in first, on the bottom of the cooker. Pour in the onion soup mix on top of the meat. Rubbing it in is not required, though making sure it covers the meat fairly well is a good thing. Add the carrots, potatoes and any other veggies you want. Mash the garlic and add this. Cover the cooker and set on High for 5-7 hours.

This is the easiest meal I know how to make and it is absolutely :coma:-worthy.

edit: It's done when the meat literally falls apart. I am eating this right now. I stabbed a piece of meat with my fork and half of it fell off on the way to my mouth :p:
Reply 278
D-Day
Note: I realize this is not technically a recipe in the strictest sense.

Pot Roast (requires a slow cooker):

Ingredients: 1 chuck roast, 1 package of onion soup mix, 4-5 red potatoes (or two larger potatoes), carrots (I use baby carrots because they require less work), 1 clove garlic (more if you really love garlic). Celery and onions are optional. I don't use exact amounts of ingredients because you use as many as you like.

Preparation: Very simple. Put the chuck roast in first, on the bottom of the cooker. Pour in the onion soup mix on top of the meat. Rubbing it in is not required, though making sure it covers the meat fairly well is a good thing. Add the carrots, potatoes and any other veggies you want. Mash the garlic and add this. Cover the cooker and set on High for 5-7 hours.

This is the easiest meal I know how to make and it is absolutely :coma:-worthy.

edit: It's done when the meat literally falls apart. I am eating this right now. I stabbed a piece of meat with my fork and half of it fell off on the way to my mouth :p:

Nice one :smile: My recipe for pot roast is considerably more involved.
Reply 279
ukebert
Nice one :smile: My recipe for pot roast is considerably more involved.

How do you do it? Also, I do it this way because I've found that this has the best effort to result ratio :p:

Quick Reply

Latest