The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I like magic. Magic is good.

:biggrin:
Wow, my Magic days were certainly happy days. I played semi semi seriously back in the day. Invasion block rocked socks and you know it. The days of domain were days of happiness.

The best result I got was going 6-2 (I think) in Grand Prix (Odyssey block). Those blue-green madness things with Basking Rootwalla were everywhere, I played a boring but fun (!) black beatdown with Nantuko Shade. I remember also loving playing the Mirari deck at that time, but I knew I couldn't concentrate at it all day to pull it off. For those that didn't see it in action, it ran off of having lots of Mirari's Wakes (tapping a land creates 1 additional mana of the same colour), and Miraris (pay an extra 3 mana when playing an instant or sorcery, and it "resolves" twice), then playing Cunning Wish (an instant: get any card out of your sidebaord or removed from the game, and put it in your hand). By casting cunning wish through the Mirari, you could let it happen twice, thus finding a Cunning Wish and another card from your sideboard. Hence (mana permitting) infinite finding!

Apologies if you actually trapsed through that!

I'm really hoping that it will be played at uni, I'm going to Warwick, grades permitting.

Martin
Reply 82
Ah...I have fond memories of Wake..it was the first deck I ever played and went from using it casually with Firecats Blitz to the more tournament-orientated version mentioned above.

Assuming the Extended format doesn't get dominated by Affinity, it's what I'll be playing after the rotation.
Wow, I didn't realise that it had potential on the extended scene, does it not lose horribly to whatever variant of "Sligh" manifests oh-too-often in England?

Martin
Reply 84
might I ask, when did odyssey come out? was it after the Urza series??
juueru_chou
I have seen some evil combinations of cards used before that has made one creature do over 8,000,000 damage (and it had trample).

Is there really any point to this? 100 Damage is easily enougth to defeat players, even 50 or 30 is sufficient.
A lot of people I know ignore creatures' abilities. for example, Screeching Drake allows you to pick a card from your library and discard one from your hand when it comes into play. Many noobs (or one's who I've played against anyway) appear to not notice the bold print telling them to do so :rofl:
Reply 87
pumpkinstein
Wow, I didn't realise that it had potential on the extended scene, does it not lose horribly to whatever variant of "Sligh" manifests oh-too-often in England?

Martin

It should do.I don't really see Sligh(Well, Goblins) being that much of a problem for the deck due in part to it's four main deck Moment's Peace. I'm not convinced it'll have a great game against Affinity and Scepter-Control would probably be a nightmare matchup.Again, it's a long way away
Reply 88
AndrewsJoseph
A lot of people I know ignore creatures' abilities. for example, Screeching Drake allows you to pick a card from your library and discard one from your hand when it comes into play. Many noobs (or one's who I've played against anyway) appear to not notice the bold print telling them to do so :rofl:

Despite being comparatively a noob myself (compared to you guys with 100:100 creature things :eek: ) I have definitely had that problem.

Not sure what Urza was but it doesnt ring a bell so probably before odyssey.
It was Urza's, then Masques, then Invasion, then Odyssey, then Onslaught, and now it's Kamigawa.

Before Urza's is before me =)

Martin
Reply 90
so where do Armageddon Judgment etc. fit?
Not sure on Armageddon, I thought that was a card? (Destroy all lands?)

Judgement was in Odyssey block. It went Odyssey, Torment, Judgement.
pumpkinstein
Not sure on Armageddon, I thought that was a card? (Destroy all lands?)

Judgement was in Odyssey block. It went Odyssey, Torment, Judgement.

I love cards that destroy lands! They are so useful, especially against green or blue decks which always have some really nasty creatures in them...
Reply 93
I love this game! My friends and I play it at school all the time, which can make us late for lessons but oh well...
Zoecb
I love this game! My friends and I play it at school all the time, which can make us late for lessons but oh well...

I think they should teach it at school...
Reply 95
Sigh. If only...

Seriously, that would be so cool.
juueru_chou
This is what you get with card games, new sets will always have updated rules and new features and some features are only kept for a couple of sets and then phased out.

Phased out, like the phasing effect ( :smile: )... i've recently been buying older cards with those rules. I really like the idea of the flanking effect... anyway, these cards i'm getting, there supposed to be commons mostly, with a few uncommons, 10p each, so no big deal. I managed to get stuff like Tor Wauki (which, although overpriced, i just like for no discernable reason), but somehow i managed to get a "the hive", 6th edition, rare, for 10p :smile:... not that the card is all that good IMO. 5 mana for a 1/1 flier (although you can do it over and over, so i suppose it can be okay). I'd much rather have an ordered migration, if i was playing alot of different colours, and even that is a crappy card!... anyway...

Finally, what do people think to an official MTG, or just card games in general, society on here?
AndrewsJoseph
I love cards that destroy lands! They are so useful, especially against green or blue decks which always have some really nasty creatures in them...

I never see the point in those sorts of cards really, but i don't often play decks where you don't have a few big cards to play in them, so armageddon isn't that useful (especially in a green white big creature deck, which i play), and other land destruction cards, mainly in red, just don't get a look in, because the effects are usually too expensive.
I remember Balancing Tings, which was where Obliterate (destroy all permanents) wiped all the lands away, but I do agree that Land Destruction decks are generally a bit of a wet weekend. No one likes losing to "manascrew", and so inducing it upon someone else seems a bit unfriendly to me!

Martin

Latest