The Student Room Group
Reply 1
biffyclyro27
Hey, just a second ago my laptop made this horrible screeching noise for about a second or two. It sounded like nails on a blackboard or something. It is still working fine. What the hell was it? I have never heard that noise before on any computer...

you got a disc in the drive?
Reply 2
nope. I did some searching on the net, and apprently this noise could mean that my hard drive is going to fail soon
Reply 3
yeah was equally gonna say sounds like a hard drive problem, if its been on for a while let your laptop cool down.. if its not that then yes, something isnt quite right internally
Reply 4
Look here, and play the sound file at the bottom....if it sounds like that, it's probably the hard drive.
btw how old is your laptop? have you mistreated it in any way? (dropped it, etc.?)
Reply 5
mig213
Look here, and play the sound file at the bottom....if it sounds like that, it's probably the hard drive.
btw how old is your laptop? have you mistreated it in any way? (dropped it, etc.?)

no, it didnt sound anything like that, it was just a single high pitched screech. It also emmited a high pitched beep and froze earlier aswell. That was before the screecing though.
Mine does that when it's overheating. I just turn it off for a couple of hours, then go back to it later. It will be fine :smile:
has anybody thought about asking what laptop the OP has?

OP, what laptop is it?:smile:
Reply 8
alexsheppard11
has anybody thought about asking what laptop the OP has?

OP, what laptop is it?:smile:

it's a hp530
where your speakers on?
it could have been something on that...
or, did you have a mobile phone near by, that could have interfered:smile:
Your computer has only three parts that make screeching noises when bust, the fan, the disk drive and the hard drive. You say it doesn't sound like the HD, and I assume you've not got a disk in the CD drive so if it had a grinding quality to it it's probably your fan unit.
alexsheppard11
where your speakers on?
it could have been something on that...
or, did you have a mobile phone near by, that could have interfered:smile:

I had the speakers on, but it didn't sound like that. It was definitely a computer part.

I don't think it was the fan unit, because it sounded as if it came from the centre of the laptop and the fan is right on the side. I didn't have a disc in the drive. I recon it was probably the hard drive, but it wasn't the click of death. So it is probably beginning to die but not quite there yet. I'l make some backups anyway...
Reply 12
transformers mate

Latest

Trending

Trending