The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Gexko
Problem is they're gonna destroy a load of countryside and wreck a beautiful village to build it....

But think of the nice stadium I will be able to watch my team in...
Reply 41
^ Yep. Withdean is no football stadium though although nice surroundings(!) so I hope they get something sorted soon.

Gem
Reply 42
Kuz, Your local team is Orient but you support the Arse instead? For shame! I see it way too often around my area. Its a miracle we still go on year after year when we've got 4 Premiership clubs within a 6 mile radius of us. You're still welcome down Brissie though...

Andy Scott up front? I'm suprised that worked for you guys, we tried it last season a few times but it just didn't work. Stick him on the left and he won EVERY single blessed header that came his way and every so often, he would score a beauty. Julian Alsop as well... Oh boy. Is he still at Northampton, I heard about Bananagate :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: What was he on?! (im sure most fans outside League 1+2 don't though).

Ramon Diaz - Came from winning trophies at River Plate to... Oxford United. Dodgy appointment of the season - almost as bad as that French bloke at Cambridge. He must have been on silly money as well as his whole backroom staff. Oxford always seem to be tipped for promotion some way or another and your stadium would do a job in a higher league for sure...
Reply 43
i hope Woking win the Conference this year, at least get promoted
i wish the FA would give the Conference 2 automatic promotion places and the play offs like the other leagues instead of 1 auto, 1 play off and 4 relegation places - the least they could do now they have transfer windows
Reply 44
Seabiscuit
Andy Scott up front? I'm suprised that worked for you guys, we tried it last season a few times but it just didn't work. Stick him on the left and he won EVERY single blessed header that came his way and every so often, he would score a beauty. Julian Alsop as well... Oh boy. Is he still at Northampton, I heard about Bananagate :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: What was he on?! (im sure most fans outside League 1+2 don't though).

Ramon Diaz - Came from winning trophies at River Plate to... Oxford United. Dodgy appointment of the season - almost as bad as that French bloke at Cambridge. He must have been on silly money as well as his whole backroom staff. Oxford always seem to be tipped for promotion some way or another and your stadium would do a job in a higher league for sure...

Scotty up front indeed. I was surprised when you played him on the wing. He was our top scorer as a striker (though thats not saying a lot).

Alsop got kicked out of Northampton end of last season too tho. I still havent heard the details of bananagate yet, what happened?

Diaz, 6 Argentinian titles and a world club championship under his belt and he cant get us promoted! He and his staff were on normal wages but had been offered shares in the club if we got promoted. We couldnt afford to pay him what he wanted this year so he left with them all. Plus he had work permit problems at the end of last year and wasnt even there for the last 6 games or so.

We did however play the best looking football i have ever seen in the division, worked really well against the top teams but meant we couldnt cope with the long ball from the crappier sides. Very liverpool v wimbledon all those years ago.

And yeah, we're always tipped for promotion and on paper we always have a good squad. I really do believe we can get playoffs this year, though the squad is tiny compared to past years.
Reply 45
Top of the league, we're having a laugh!!! :biggrin:

Gem
Can Non League count as lower league?

Aylesbury beat Yate 3-0 Yesterday to move joint top of the Doc Martens league:cool:

scoreline totally flattered us and we just seem to keep winning despite not playing well :biggrin: only conceded 1 goal so far and that was from a very dodgy last min pen.
Reply 47
:bawling: Oxford United 1 - 1 Stockport County :bawling:

We woz robbed!

Still level with Lincoln City on points, goal difference and goals for and against though :smile:
Reply 48
Woo! Just got back from the Leeds Festival, and I'm pretty chuffed to see how well this thread's done. Good to see there's plenty of you out there.
Reply 49
El Pollo Diablo
Woo! Just got back from the Leeds Festival, and I'm pretty chuffed to see how well this thread's done. Good to see there's plenty of you out there.

You're still exactly level with us on points, goal difference and goals for.

Soon we shall vanquish you and achieve the heady heights of 12th in the league!

How was Leeds? Wish i could have got to Reading this year.
Reply 50
Gexko
You're still exactly level with us on points, goal difference and goals for.

Soon we shall vanquish you and achieve the heady heights of 12th in the league!

How was Leeds? Wish i could have got to Reading this year.

I'd discuss it here if it wasn't for the fact that I'd be spamming my own thread :biggrin:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t144776.html but basically it was damn good. Everyone should see the Arcade Fire.
Just got back from Stoke-Norwich. Cracking game and a great performance by the mighty potters! I love it when we play proper football, not like the rubbish we played last year under Pulis. Happy days!!!
Reply 52
El Pollo Diablo
I'd discuss it here if it wasn't for the fact that I'd be spamming my own thread :biggrin:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t144776.html but basically it was damn good. Everyone should see the Arcade Fire.

Yeah I had a look for tickets for them in Bristol, but they arent playing :bawling:
Reply 53
If and when we beat Bristol rovers, our game in hand will be taken back and we shall go soaring up the table :smile: fantastic.
Reply 54
Top of the league, we are having a laugh still.

Went to Crewe yesterday and saw a convincing win. Poor Crewe looked not very good though.

Gem
Best player outside the Premiership? That has to be our very own Lee Trundle :biggrin: Scored a 25 yard free kick yesterday, and now we're second in League One, with the best stadium in the league. Premiership by 2010 :cool:
Reply 56
^ Best championship player: Phil Jagielka. :biggrin:

Gem
Reply 57
:eek: What the hell happened to Barnet on the weekend!

Ah well - it was never going to last. I was just kidding myself.

At least were still above OXFORD & LINCOLN :biggrin:
Oh and not forgetting Leyton Orient all be it 2 goals difference.

Aylesbury a few posts up! I've not heard about them for ages! How the divisions have changed. I swore they were in the Ryman! Why not just keep them there. It probably means the supporters have to travel a lot further as well now.
Reply 58
nosoyespanol
Best player outside the Premiership? That has to be our very own Lee Trundle :biggrin: Scored a 25 yard free kick yesterday, and now we're second in League One, with the best stadium in the league. Premiership by 2010 :cool:

Tommy Mooney scored at least 10 goals from 25 yards last year. He always hits the target and league 2 keepers arent good enough for him.
Reply 59
walshie

At least were still above OXFORD & LINCOLN :biggrin:
Oh and not forgetting Leyton Orient all be it 2 goals difference.

You wont be laughing when oxford and lincoln go up and you go down at the end of the season. :wink:

Latest