The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology unit 3b =)

I studied the experiments and solved past papers, any revision notes or tips, anything else that might be useful?

Scroll to see replies

By past papers, from which year you started doing? 2001? Can't find unit 3B paper for 2001. :colondollar: From which year did the whole unit 3B starts? :colonhash:

edit: Okay, so it's from Jan 2009, right? But can't seem to find the paper. Could only find June 2009 onwards. :/

ps: We only have to study the 9 core practicals, right? Which are:

1. The effect of caffeine on heart rate
2. the vitamin C content of fruit juice
3. The effect of temperature on membranes
4. enzymes concentration and rate of reaction
5. observing mitosis
6. totipotency and plant tissue culture
7. the strength of plant fibres
8. investigating plant mineral deficiencies
9. The antimicrobial properties of plants

Right? :s
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Does anyone have any good revision notes for Unit 3 Bio? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ACatCalledMeow
By past papers, from which year you started doing? 2001? Can't find unit 3B paper for 2001. :colondollar: From which year did the whole unit 3B starts? :colonhash:

edit: Okay, so it's from Jan 2009, right? But can't seem to find the paper. Could only find June 2009 onwards. :/

ps: We only have to study the 9 core practicals, right? Which are:

1. The effect of caffeine on heart rate
2. the vitamin C content of fruit juice
3. The effect of temperature on membranes
4. enzymes concentration and rate of reaction
5. observing mitosis
6. totipotency and plant tissue culture
7. the strength of plant fibres
8. investigating plant mineral deficiencies
9. The antimicrobial properties of plants

Right? :s

Sadly there are no past papers! I have no idea what to study ,am done with the core practicals already and the 3 past papers, did u solve the sample assessment test? its good practise
yea they're only 9 =)
Original post by jemadore
Sadly there are no past papers! I have no idea what to study ,am done with the core practicals already and the 3 past papers, did u solve the sample assessment test? its good practise
yea they're only 9 =)

The sample assessment test, is it the one on edexcel site? :redface:

I really hope everything will be fine tomorrow though. Think i screwed up my chemistry unit 3B paper yesterday. :frown::frown: :sad: Was way different than all the past years i've done. :sigh:
Reply 5
The sample assessment test, is it the one on edexcel site? :redface:

I really hope everything will be fine tomorrow though. Think i screwed up my chemistry unit 3B paper yesterday. :frown::frown: :sad: Was way different than all the past years i've done. :sigh:

Yupp!

=( good luck! I took the june 2010 paper was pretty easy =P
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30733651/List-of-Core-Practicals-for-Edexcel-Biology-as-Exam-2010
this might be pretty useful
Original post by jemadore
Yupp!

=( good luck! I took the june 2010 paper was pretty easy =P
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30733651/List-of-Core-Practicals-for-Edexcel-Biology-as-Exam-2010
this might be pretty useful

Omg thanks! :biggrin: this is awesome! rep for you! :biggrin:

Oh, do you happen to have the answers? :colondollar:
Reply 7
June 2010 mark scheme-
http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124385/Biology-Jun-2010-Mark-Scheme-Unit-3?in_collection=2378261

btw, does anyone have answers to the sample assessment paper?
Reply 8
Original post by Sm_
June 2010 mark scheme-
http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124385/Biology-Jun-2010-Mark-Scheme-Unit-3?in_collection=2378261

btw, does anyone have answers to the sample assessment paper?

its on the edexcel site, the q and answers as well
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/Biology-Practical-Alternative-SAMs.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Omg thanks! :biggrin: this is awesome! rep for you! :biggrin:

Oh, do you happen to have the answers? :colondollar:

Thanksss :smile:
no i dont have the answers =(
some are discussed here
http://www.studentforums.biz/sciences-149/edexcel-biology-doubts!!!!/270/
GOOD LUCK!
Hey guys if any of you have good notes or anything i can follow cause my bio teacher practically said that unit 3b aint important n she hasnt taught us snything. She dsnt even explain practicals :frown: please if u have anything. Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Guys i found these notes and they're really good.
Which practical do you lot reckon will be on this exam?
Reply 12
Original post by kevsamuel
Guys i found these notes and they're really good.
Which practical do you lot reckon will be on this exam?

Observing mitosis. Study it well.
Reply 13
Original post by Abod
Observing mitosis. Study it well.

How do you know that that will be on it?
Reply 14
Original post by kevsamuel
How do you know that that will be on it?

There have been 8 unit 3b papers, each had a different core practical.
If Edexcel follow the same pattern then I'm sure june 2013 will be about observing mitosis.
I gave this unit in June 2012 and the core practical was Caffeine and Heart rate.

I retook it in Jan 2013 (This was an easy paper) and this time the core practical was totipotency. Now you're left with mitosis.
Reply 15
Original post by Abod
There have been 8 unit 3b papers, each had a different core practical.
If Edexcel follow the same pattern then I'm sure june 2013 will be about observing mitosis.
I gave this unit in June 2012 and the core practical was Caffeine and Heart rate.

I retook it in Jan 2013 (This was an easy paper) and this time the core practical was totipotency. Now you're left with mitosis.

So what are students of Jun 2014 left with? I wouldn't say it is definitely going to be Mitosis- its likely, yes- but revise all just in case.
hey im sure u know this now but there will be no exams in jan 2014 so im guessing mitosis is left for jun2013. thanx for all the help guys. appreciate it :smile:
what does ethical implications of using daphnia mean? is it for or against the use of daphnia??
Original post by parishah
what does ethical implications of using daphnia mean? is it for or against the use of daphnia??

If the question just asks for the ethical implications without specifying whether its for or against the use of daphnia (like in the May 2012 paper) you can write either for or against.

If the question says "What are the ethical implications for (or against) the use of daphnia" you should answer what they ask.
Original post by Relaxedexams
If the question just asks for the ethical implications without specifying whether its for or against the use of daphnia (like in the May 2012 paper) you can write either for or against.

If the question says "What are the ethical implications for (or against) the use of daphnia" you should answer what they ask.

thanks, had not seen the against argument in the markscheme for may 2012. Thanks anyways :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest