The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toybox
I really want to study Architecture or Urban Planning at UCL.
Anyone going to the free taster course there about the construction industry in July?

I am! Haha :smile: I'm guessing you are?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
I am! Haha :smile: I'm guessing you are?

Yes! I'm so excited :biggrin:
I'm hoping the course will contribute in helping me decide exactly what I want to do at uni. Plus I've never been to UCL before! :biggrin:
Original post by toybox
Yes! I'm so excited :biggrin:
I'm hoping the course will contribute in helping me decide exactly what I want to do at uni. Plus I've never been to UCL before! :biggrin:

Neither have I! (I have seen it on Google maps though xP) I'm also going to one for Engineering, because I'm not sure if I want to study Architecture or Engineering... although I think Engineering now xD
Reply 23
Neither have I! (I have seen it on Google maps though xP) I'm also going to one for Engineering, because I'm not sure if I want to study Architecture or Engineering... although I think Engineering now xD

Really? Wow, I think pure Engineering would just be waaay too mathematical for me haha I'm considering Urban Planning, as I'm really not sure about Architecture anymore. Most of the feedback I get about it is negative :/
Original post by toybox
Really? Wow, I think pure Engineering would just be waaay too mathematical for me haha I'm considering Urban Planning, as I'm really not sure about Architecture anymore. Most of the feedback I get about it is negative :/

Yeh I know me too! That's why I'm thinking Engineering, Civil Engineering actually :smile: you actually don't even need a degree to design a building, that's what really started me thinking that Architecture probably isn't worth it :/ What is Urban Planning actually?

(p.s. I love math! haha)
Reply 25
Yeh I know me too! That's why I'm thinking Engineering, Civil Engineering actually :smile: you actually don't even need a degree to design a building, that's what really started me thinking that Architecture probably isn't worth it :/ What is Urban Planning actually?

(p.s. I love math! haha)

You don't need a degree to design buildings?! :O And Urban Planning is the designing of towns and roads in order to improve communites. It also about the environment and economics, saying that I study Economics now and absolutely hate it, so maybe Urban Planning isn't actually for me :/ hahaa I sound like a confused person :')
Original post by toybox
You don't need a degree to design buildings?! :O And Urban Planning is the designing of towns and roads in order to improve communites. It also about the environment and economics, saying that I study Economics now and absolutely hate it, so maybe Urban Planning isn't actually for me :/ hahaa I sound like a confused person :')

Haha I think that everyone our age is confused really! - I feel far too young to be making such big decisions :/. And no, you don't, you need an engineer, but you don't actually need an architect...they're just useful for drawing up plans :tongue: (and I don't really want to do that for the rest of my life!) I mean, of course they do design buildings, but it's very few and far between, you really have to be one of the top. I think I want to go into research though, so engineering would suit me much better than architecture!

Oh wow that sounds interesting too! :biggrin: with the environment is it things like reducing carbon footprint etc? That would be interesting :smile: haha maybe not so good if you hate economics already though! xD (maybe it'll be different at uni...)

Sorry, I kinda wrote an essay there :s haha
Reply 27
Haha I think that everyone our age is confused really! - I feel far too young to be making such big decisions :/. And no, you don't, you need an engineer, but you don't actually need an architect...they're just useful for drawing up plans :tongue: (and I don't really want to do that for the rest of my life!) I mean, of course they do design buildings, but it's very few and far between, you really have to be one of the top. I think I want to go into research though, so engineering would suit me much better than architecture!

Oh wow that sounds interesting too! :biggrin: with the environment is it things like reducing carbon footprint etc? That would be interesting :smile: haha maybe not so good if you hate economics already though! xD (maybe it'll be different at uni...)

Sorry, I kinda wrote an essay there :s haha

Yeahh, I probably won't know exactly what I want to do until I finish university :/ And wow, I didn't know that at all, now I feel even more confused about studying Architecture haha

Yeah, environmental issues really interest me, so I guess it could be fun... Though, I thought I'd like Economics before I started it and I was wrong about that hahaa :/
Reply 28
Which engineering are you going to apply for? :smile:

Mechanical engineering
Original post by toybox
Yeahh, I probably won't know exactly what I want to do until I finish university :/ And wow, I didn't know that at all, now I feel even more confused about studying Architecture haha

Yeah, environmental issues really interest me, so I guess it could be fun... Though, I thought I'd like Economics before I started it and I was wrong about that hahaa :/

Haha sorry about that! Dw, if you don't like what you do in the first year, you can almost always transfer to a different course for your second year (providing you meet the requirements for the other course) :smile:
Good luck to everyone applying for 2012 entry! I hold a conditional offer for this year, just working on the grades now! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Haha sorry about that! Dw, if you don't like what you do in the first year, you can almost always transfer to a different course for your second year (providing you meet the requirements for the other course) :smile:

Yeahh, maybe it's just all about getting into the UCL in the first place haha :biggrin:
Oh yeh they're requirements are higher :/ I would have to get an A in my mechanics module for math. So it really depends if I get that, which really depends on the paper, because sometimes I get over 90 and sometimes I get just over 80 :s (over 80 is an A). So if it's a really hard paper and I get a B then there isn't really much point in me applying to Imperial!

Are you sure they need an A in mechanics module? Have they specified that? I need an A* for theoretical physics and they gave me an offer even though I only got a B in m1!!!! (Granted it was 79 but luckily my core scores are very high)
Original post by thestudent55555
Are you sure they need an A in mechanics module? Have they specified that? I need an A* for theoretical physics and they gave me an offer even though I only got a B in m1!!!! (Granted it was 79 but luckily my core scores are very high)

The minimum offer will normally be an A* in Mathematics plus two further A grades, one of which must be in Physics, at A-level. In addition, candidates will normally be required to obtain grade A in all their mathematics modules at the first attempt.

From their website:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/civilengineering/entryrequirements

I'm guessing you got an offer for 2011 entry? Well done! :biggrin: Is theoretical physics what you will be taking? I'm looking at civil engineering, maybe that's the difference :smile:
Hoping to apply for English Lit.
I'm an irish applicant but I'm hoping to be predicted 5A1s and 1B2 as well as one A1 in pass maths but hopefully they'll overlook that!
Reply 35
Hey :smile: don't really know if this is the right topic for this kind of question - but I believe that some of you might have the same problem

So ... Anyone here applying for MSc in Software Systems Engineering at UCL? :smile:

I am holding an conditional offer on this programme and another one for MSc in Computer Science in Edinburgh ... and I can't decide which one to choose.

I've heard Edinburgh is famous for AI and UCL for Software Engineering =) Edinburgh was ranked top Uni in CS, but UCL is supposed to be more internationally known and its overall rankings are better :smile: but I know rankings are not all it is :P

I have to hear it from students or staff to be sure :smile:
Reply 36
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had applied for the technology entrepreneurship master and had been shortlisted to take an ovia video interview.
It would be great to know what kind of questions they asked and what kind of offers you got in the end.

Thanks for the help!
The minimum offer will normally be an A* in Mathematics plus two further A grades, one of which must be in Physics, at A-level. In addition, candidates will normally be required to obtain grade A in all their mathematics modules at the first attempt.

From their website:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/civilengineering/entryrequirements

I'm guessing you got an offer for 2011 entry? Well done! :biggrin: Is theoretical physics what you will be taking? I'm looking at civil engineering, maybe that's the difference :smile:

Yeah can't wait! Just need the grades now :frown:
Heh, another IB student here, hoping to get into Psychology at UCL. Is anyone here studying Psychology there?
Reply 39
Original post by Kyle Butler
Heh, another IB student here, hoping to get into Psychology at UCL. Is anyone here studying Psychology there?

Grades permitting I will be this September. It's awesome! Any questions about applying?

Latest

Trending

Trending