The Student Room Group

Can I use an expired passport as ID in pubs and clubs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I use mine in pubs all the time.
Reply 21
I don't know what the electronic things do if they photocopy the passport, or verify it's all legit, but that could be an issue.
Original post by DarkWhite
Obviously, but if you have a passport photo taken at the age of 14, you can't expect to use it as ID when you're in your twenties.

OP, BII regulations state a current British passport, which an expired passport is not, unfortunately. Chances are, many places will accept it, but don't be surprised if a bouncer or bartender tells you to bugger off.

Why not get a provisional driver's licence, or renew your passport?

It's from a comedian. Dara obrein. Hoping their was some fans out there lol!
Original post by Left Hand Drive
It's from a comedian. Dara obrein. Hoping their was some fans out there lol!

Mm I remember that, but couldn't tell whether it was a reference to his tour or a serious comment lol :p:
Original post by DarkWhite
Mm I remember that, but couldn't tell whether it was a reference to his tour or a serious comment lol :p:

Shoulda posted a pic or something underneath!
I work at Wetherspoons and we are told, under no circumstances, to accept an expired passport as ID as it is no longer a legal document, whether or not you have accompanying student cards etc.
Reply 26
I've used an expired passport for domestic air travel before and you can't get into a club with one?! I think it is worth a try so long as the passport expired less than 6 months ago.
I've had the same sitation and I used my old passport as ID in pubs,clubs and other things. It worked fine for me. I guess it depends on the place to be honest.
I don't see what's wrong with it as a form of ID - it is no longer valid for use as a passport, ie letting you in and out of countries. It's still got you on the front.
Reply 29
Original post by JessicaKate20
I work at Wetherspoons and we are told, under no circumstances, to accept an expired passport as ID as it is no longer a legal document, whether or not you have accompanying student cards etc.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to do.
Reply 30
To be fair, it depends on what you look like as well. Most bouncers have a fair idea of who looks likely to cause a bit of crap after a few drinks and will be trying to spot them in the queue. If you look decent and just there for a laugh, unless they're overly strict, i cant see them delibitating too long over your passport. Besides, it will still display your age, as long as your pic holds relatively similar to your look you'll be fine. It has to be renewed for other situations including airports, not so much to get into clubs and eh, do other stuff.
Reply 31
It depends on the place. Some won't care (cause realistically your DOB isn't gonna change) but some won't accept it, since they can technically deny entry/service to anyone. The best idea is to try and avoid places where you need ID for a little while; passport renewals tend to actually be pretty speedy so it shouldn't be too long.

xxx
Reply 32
Original post by L i b
What an absolutely ridiculous thing to do.

Wetherspoons ID policy is ridiculous. They display on all their entrances posters claiming that they accept cards bearing the pass logo, they even have leaflets in a lot of their pubs SELLING cards with a pass logo, yet in some branches the staff are told to never accept cards with a pass logo!

xxx
You can't and a lot of places do check or even scan in passports, like some student clubs/bars do.
My friend only has an expired passport and he only got into clubs 2 times then bouncers told him he won't get in again until he renews.
I'm pretty sure you can. I used an expired passport as ID in a shop a bit ago. They said it was fine.
Reply 35
You can probably get away with an expired passport for around a year after its expiary date - my friend did, but then after a year she wasn't able to use it anymore.
Some places may let you use it but if your just a kid in the picture I think it's unlikely. A lot of places only accept valid passport and driving liscences these days.
It's worth a try though.

EDIT: Just realised how old this thread is. Guess it doesn't matter anymore :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
I and many of my friends have used expired passports for getting into clubs before, one friend even used an expired passport of his brothers..Depends on the bouncer really.
Can you use expired ID to get on a flight?

Original post by JessicaKate20

(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, a few friends of mine always take an expired passport with them on nights out for ID incase they loose their valid passport.
They have never had any problems.
Reply 39
I've been meaning to renew mine but never had the time to get some passport photos done. My passports expired by about 2 years and I look like I'm about 8 in the passport. All clubs I've been to accepted it. A few commented I looked really young but I just mention I have my student card as well.

Quick Reply

Latest