The Student Room Group

Do false nails ruin your natural ones?

As the title says really,

I'm anaemic and I have really brittle, soft nails that split all the time and it would be nice to have nails again!
Ive seen those natural looking fake ones that sit on the nail bed, does anyone have these? Do they ruin your nails? Not that mine could get much worse tbh!

:smile:

EDIT: why the neg?
(edited 12 years ago)
The ones that use a glue to stick them on tends to make them worse if you use them all the time... But I think you can now get gel nails that look even more natural which let the nail underneath breath... You usually have to find a manicurist that does it but they're really great :smile:.
Reply 2
I have naturally weak nails that peel and have never been able to grow them. My mum found me this gel coat on qvc, its brilliant! I put it on every couple of the days and the bottle lasts ages, much better for your nails and cheaper!
Reply 4
Ive worn false nails that you buy in shops and put on yourself and they didnt ruin mt nails to much. Also worn tips that you get at the salon and i stupidly couldnt be bothered going back to get them taken off so did it myself and theyv left my nails really sore and weak :frown: go speak to a nail salon and see what they say :smile:
Reply 5
In my experience, they have weakened my natural nails so I don't wear them :smile:
Reply 6
Depends whether you go for temporary ones, gel tips and overlays or acrylic. I personally love gel nails but you do need to give your nails a week or two off from them every so often to stop them becoming weak under the tip. Nails do grow under the gels and tip but I don't think it grows in as strong - but that might just be me.

I personally would try growing them out as much as possible naturally, but file them if they break so they're not left cracked etc. If you grow them out that way, you'll reduce the amount of splits etc, especially if you use a fortifier (Sally Hansen do them) once a week or so. It'll be hard to have false nails sit on nails with splits, ridges, cracks etc regardless of what you choose so its best to try and strengthen your natural nail first.
it really depends on the type of nail and the type of glue used
they can weaken, and make the nails go soft :frown:
one of my friends nails when she had hers off were really bendy it was rank :|
(i have a thing about nails breaking... bending... coming off.... *shudders* )
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Only if you dont take the proper care needed when you take off the acrylics. You can either refill or remove them when they grow out. If you wanna take them off, it is best to go back to the salon or you could use nail polish remover with ACETONE. Sally Hansen products are generally good for aftercare.

Check out my post on removing acrylics and a review of a remover from yesterday
www.beautydose-ox.blogspot.com
x
I think it depends which type you go for...

I always find that acrylic nails leave my nails pretty rough and soft...

I would recommend calgel nails, it looks really good and it just peels of after around two weeks and my nails were totally fine after :smile:
thanks so much for the advice :smile:

I went for gels in the end, got them done today and they look really good! Cant tell they arent my real nails:smile:
Original post by crazyunicorn133

I went for gels in the end, got them done today and they look really good! Cant tell they arent my real nails:smile:

I think gel nails dont last as long as they aren't that strong. I get acrylics but then they're deffs not healthy for your own nails!

If your not super clumsy with your hands then gels should be gorg :smile:
the simple answer yes they do. i always have them done and when it comes time to dissolve them my natural nails are a mess.

It takes at lest 4 months to get your nails back to a good strengh. :smile:
Reply 13
I use glue on falsies a lot of the time and my natural nails are as good as ever.
Reply 14
Original post by crazyunicorn133

Never tried gels... how long do your own nails have to be... how long do they last and is it expensive? Might give it a go....

Reply 15
Original post by brains+beauty
I think gel nails dont last as long as they aren't that strong. I get acrylics but then they're deffs not healthy for your own nails!

If your not super clumsy with your hands then gels should be gorg :smile:

Are acrylics more expensive and how long do they last?

Reply 16
the ones you do for yourself (the ones you can buy from boots) don't harm your nails I use these all the time as i love the flexibiliy of wearing them when you want. However the salons are disastrous my nails peeled and all sorts :frown: really horrible experience

Quick Reply

Latest