The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Crocky
Hi!

I've applied at Falmouth, Plymouth and Brighton for 3D design courses and Bristol for drawing and applied arts. So far I've got interviews for all except Brighton, who I'm still waiting to hear from.(they asked for an online portfolio. Don't know if that's good or not! ^^:wink:

The only thing is, I don't have a foundation course. I'm 19 in April (college screwed me over with my art course so I had to re-take the year.) so I'd have to pay for my foundation course. My learning coach advised me to just apply straight to uni, and that's what I'm doing.

I'm just a little worried. What's the chances of me getting in without a foundation course? Or am I just panicking for no reason? I've got good grades, I've already completed my History and English Lit A levels and got Bs and I'm predicted an A in my Art A Level, so I don't know if that helps.

(Also partly, I really really want to get away from home as soon as possible, so uni looked pretty darn nice.)

I think I just need some advice. :frown:

I've also got my interview at Plymouth on Wednesday! Eeek! Any tips? :/

Thank you! <33

I also had to pay for my foundation course, and so far it has totally been worth while. I have learnt so much, feel much more confident and feel I am in better stead this year round. I believe that foundation courses are there to help to transist your practise into a Higher Education level. But mainly they are just a brilliant way to develop your own work... Not to mention the great portfolio advice on offer.

But if you feel confident, have worked hard, challenged yourself, and expanded you work then it shouldn't matter, so don't worry! You should be fine :]

The only thing is I think Brighton are pretty adamant on foundation courses.. but there are always exceptions;]

As for your interview, just be confident in relaying how you develop ideas,what your work is about, recognise your inspirations, your historical and contextual influences, why you want to go to Plymouth and have a good body work.

Hope this helps!
Original post by OliviaBambrough
I REALLLYYY need to ring up Chelsea, i've only recieved an email telling me they were reviewing my application and that was yonks ago, hope they havent forgotton about me ! booo :frown:

Yeah, seriously do so first thing tomorrow! You never know; they're honestly terrible, I can tell you from personal experience. And I know that everyone I know has sent off their mini-portfolio yonks ago, so... yeah. Personally, I get an automatic interview because I'm technically an "international student". Shows how desperate they are. :tongue:

Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Yeah I think it's weird too (and I did wonder if they were trying to cheer up the people who got Slade rejections) but they told us over and over again throughout the year :confused:

That is so weird; maybe they were just trying to discourage you guys from applying only for London universities, as they are ultra competitive?

Original post by randombelle
Firstly- Well Done everyone on offers!!
Has anyone heard of anybody with a rejection from Slade? I'm worried now that they've sent out all the interview letters... :frown: Ahhhh!!! My emails are going to be updated every minute tomorrow!!!

Yeah, that's what worries me too. I haven't heard of anyone with a rejection yet, but I've heard at least two people say that rejections come in the first week and interview offers in the second... and very few people want to actively post about rejections, so. It's hard to know! BUT I do know that last year someone was saying they got an interview from Slade on the 20th, which is tomorrow, so. Fingers crossed, everybody!
Original post by Princeling
So much congratulations! I'm sorry to hear about Goldsmiths; always strange to me that someone qualified for one course does not seem to quality for even interview for another course. :/ It's really a confounding lottery.

Do you have any online portfolio to have a look at? :tongue:

I was starting to think I was rejected from everywhere as they were taking so long. My interview for the Slade is on the 5th of March.

http://lucycrump.tumblr.com/
It was only very quickly put together as I seem to have forgotten my flickr page.

Where have you applied to?

Also, Has anyone heard back from Falmouth yet?
Reply 663
Original post by Farout
I also had to pay for my foundation course, and so far it has totally been worth while. I have learnt so much, feel much more confident and feel I am in better stead this year round. I believe that foundation courses are there to help to transist your practise into a Higher Education level. But mainly they are just a brilliant way to develop your own work... Not to mention the great portfolio advice on offer.

But if you feel confident, have worked hard, challenged yourself, and expanded you work then it shouldn't matter, so don't worry! You should be fine :]

The only thing is I think Brighton are pretty adamant on foundation courses.. but there are always exceptions;]

As for your interview, just be confident in relaying how you develop ideas,what your work is about, recognise your inspirations, your historical and contextual influences, why you want to go to Plymouth and have a good body work.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, that really helps!

I think I'm just thinking too much and stewing. It's not the end of the world if I don't get in, I'll just take a gap year and save up for a foundation course. I would have loved to have done one this year but the idea of paying for it and the family's reaction was just...yeah.

I just hope the interviews go well! Ideally I'd love to get into Brighton, but we'll just have to see!

Thanks again! <3
Original post by hardlifeartstudent
I was starting to think I was rejected from everywhere as they were taking so long. My interview for the Slade is on the 5th of March.

It was only very quickly put together as I seem to have forgotten my flickr page.

Wow, fifth of march is early! I know some people have theirs on the 9th.

Your work is impressive! Especially the installations - Imaginary Portrait: Memory is intriguing. I can see why you got an interview, well-deserved. Have you done a foundation? (I followed you on tumblr, by the way.).

I've applied to Slade, Chelsea, Goldsmiths and Kingston - interviews for the middle two and the last one I'm on the foundation of, so I got an early internal offer but I rejected it because it would have meant giving up on all my other applications immediately. So... want at least a Slade interview. ;u;
Yeah, that's what worries me too. I haven't heard of anyone with a rejection yet, but I've heard at least two people say that rejections come in the first week and interview offers in the second... and very few people want to actively post about rejections, so. It's hard to know! BUT I do know that last year someone was saying they got an interview from Slade on the 20th, which is tomorrow, so. Fingers crossed, everybody!

maybe the slade gives invitations in groups, based on a ranking system, (bc i think i remember the head of the department talking about a points system when reviewing portfolios) sending invitations to highest ranked first and then staggering it? according to the website ull know if u hav an interview by the 28 at the latest so the torture will be over soon.
Original post by Crocky
Thank you so much, that really helps!

I think I'm just thinking too much and stewing. It's not the end of the world if I don't get in, I'll just take a gap year and save up for a foundation course. I would have loved to have done one this year but the idea of paying for it and the family's reaction was just...yeah.

I just hope the interviews go well! Ideally I'd love to get into Brighton, but we'll just have to see!

Thanks again! <3

Indeed, you should go for the interviews and see how it turns out. But a foundation is VERY good no matter how experienced one thinks they might be. For more advice on foundation courses, you should look back a page or two - a few of us gave very detailed answers to some questions that someone else asked. :smile:

That is so weird; maybe they were just trying to discourage you guys from applying only for London universities, as they are ultra competitive?

Probably, they didn't exactly have a great reputation for getting students in to the top unis. I'm basically finding out a lot of what we were told was complete rubbish - it's so frustrating.
Original post by rayray12310
maybe the slade gives invitations in groups, based on a ranking system, (bc i think i remember the head of the department talking about a points system when reviewing portfolios) sending invitations to highest ranked first and then staggering it? according to the website ull know if u hav an interview by the 28 at the latest so the torture will be over soon.

That actually sounds reasonable... reasonably depressing LOL. There's someone in my foundation who's gotten an interview but who I always thought was rather mundane in both concept, skill and final outcome. And yet I have nothing, le sigh. Oh well. Fighting!

out of alllll the portfolios i've lately i think i like yours the most :smile:
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Probably, they didn't exactly have a great reputation for getting students in to the top unis. I'm basically finding out a lot of what we were told was complete rubbish - it's so frustrating.

Man, that sucks. :/ Only thing worse than not getting information is being fed false information. :s-smilie:
is anyone else finding themselves annoyingly attached to this forum, it's like i have things to be doing right now, but im just checking back here constantly trying to find new information and not being very productive at all

or am i just a pathetic loser on my own with this? lol
That actually sounds reasonable... reasonably depressing LOL. There's someone in my foundation who's gotten an interview but who I always thought was rather mundane in both concept, skill and final outcome. And yet I have nothing, le sigh. Oh well. Fighting!

Maybe its based on what time you sent your initial application? or even alphebetical? soooo many theories :smile:
Reply 673

Your work is impressive! Especially the installations - Imaginary Portrait: Memory is intriguing. I can see why you got an interview, well-deserved. Have you done a foundation? (I followed you on tumblr, by the way.).

I've applied to Slade, Chelsea, Goldsmiths and Kingston - interviews for the middle two and the last one I'm on the foundation of, so I got an early internal offer but I rejected it because it would have meant giving up on all my other applications immediately. So... want at least a Slade interview. ;u;

Firstly, well done for getting an interview with Goldsmiths! I'm almost in the opposite position to you.. had interview offer for Slade, but not for Goldsmiths.

I think you mean you have an interview offer for Goldsmiths and Kingston, but not Chelsea and Slade.. But am unsure.. so have to ask! Have had an interview offer for Chelsea?? I still haven't heard anything yet:s
Man, that sucks. :/ Only thing worse than not getting information is being fed false information. :s-smilie:

Exactly! I'm getting more and more glad I took a gap year, this thread's been more useful than anything last year :rolleyes:
Reply 675
is anyone else finding themselves annoyingly attached to this forum, it's like i have things to be doing right now, but im just checking back here constantly trying to find new information and not being very productive at all

Don't worry I am doing the same.. it's because we care lol
Original post by OliviaBambrough
Maybe its based on what time you sent your initial application? or even alphebetical? soooo many theories :smile:

I'm going to shoot down both of these theories now because I'm mean. :c I sent my application back in October because I applied (unsuccessfully) for Oxford, Ruskin. So definitely not that. And alphabetically - one of the two boys who got an interview also is last name P, and my last name starts with P. :redface:

I still stick to my theory about BA/BFA being segregated. I hope us BFA's have more of a chance because they probably have a lot less applications for the less popular three year course!

Dude, I've kept this thread up for the past week or so, checking back every five minutes/hour or so. It means I've pretty much been doing nothing, haha. So you're definitely not alone. :beard:

Oh, is the 5th early? hmm, I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. The pressure is certainly on.

Thank you very much. I have only done that over the weekend so it wasn't actually in my portfolio, not sure whether it will have a place yet. I might re create it as I'm going to be in an exhibition tomorrow so however I recreate it in the morning might be pictured and featured haha, I'm clueless.

No no, I haven't done a foundation course. Although I take BTEC art and design and specialize in fine art. We have been writing our own briefs for a year now and working very independently so it is very similar to a foundation I imagine.

Well done on your interviews. Where can I look at some of your work?
Fingers crossed that you will hear positive news from the Slade soon.
Original post by Farout
Firstly, well done for getting an interview with Goldsmiths! I'm almost in the opposite position to you.. had interview offer for Slade, but not for Goldsmiths.

I think you mean you have an interview offer for Goldsmiths and Kingston, but not Chelsea and Slade.. But am unsure.. so have to ask! Have had an interview offer for Chelsea?? I still haven't heard anything yet:s

Thank you! :tongue: Eh, well, it means that I have to re-do an actual interview with Kingston and go through the system like all you people do, haha. And then probably not get in because they know Kingston's not my first (it's my last!) choice. Then again, I'm an international student so they want my money. Which is also why I have an interview with Chelsea... an automatic one! :/ They haven't even seen my mini-portfolio. Ugh. But because they forgot about my application, they only arranged my interview for me in late April. :banghead:
Oh, is the 5th early? hmm, I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. The pressure is certainly on.

Thank you very much. I have only done that over the weekend so it wasn't actually in my portfolio, not sure whether it will have a place yet. I might re create it as I'm going to be in an exhibition tomorrow so however I recreate it in the morning might be pictured and featured haha, I'm clueless.

No no, I haven't done a foundation course. Although I take BTEC art and design and specialize in fine art. We have been writing our own briefs for a year now and working very independently so it is very similar to a foundation I imagine.

Well done on your interviews. Where can I look at some of your work?
Fingers crossed that you will hear positive news from the Slade soon.

Wow, sounds great, and yes, seems on a much higher level than A-level so you should be all good. :smile: Some of my recent work can be viewed at http://princeling.tumblr.com but you have to kind of scroll through some of my other stuff, haha. It's mostly all up there at the top, though. Good luck to you too! :beer:

Quick Reply