The Student Room Group

My tips for avoiding procrastination

I used to really struggle with procrastination & motivation but the following things have helped me to avoid procrastination:

1) Knowing that no one really enjoys studying - Most of those geniuses in your class probably don't enjoy studying that much, very few may but the majority of people don't and that includes the people who get the top grades. You don't really hear anyone say 'I love studying so much! Can't wait to study today!' I mean when you think about it practically anyone would choose watching tv/going out with friends/surfing the Internet/playing video games/playing sports etc. over studying. People study because they want good grades.

2) You CAN choose not to study, but then if you don't you get bad grades and live a terrible life - This is what I usually tell myself. I am aware that there are the occasions when people who did badly in their academics at school went on to became millionaires in the entertainment or business industry etc. but it is quite rare when you think about it. I like telling myself that you don't have to study if you don't want to, but just know that if you don't you'll get bad grades and probably won't get a good job so struggle a lot in life (or get into medicine for me, judging by my username).

3) Hard work pays off - KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS. It may seem like such a chore to put in loads of effort but at the end of the day it is all worth it. Think about 10 years from now when you're lounging on a sunbed in a luxury villa/hotel under the warm sun and thinking 'this is the life'. Was all of that studying for maybe a few months all worth it? Yes.

4) DON'T anticipate studying by hours (e.g 'I'll study for 7 hours today then 6 hours tomorrow') - I've found that when you say you're going to do a certain number of many hours for studying it really puts you off from studying because you think it will take such a long time. Instead, focus on getting some topics done within certain subjects. If it takes a short time fine, that's great. If it takes longer that's okay too. When you measure studying by hours you spend most of the time watching the clock so just concentrate on certain topics you aim to complete.

5) Think about all of the stress procrastination gets you into - Everyone has procrastinated at some point in their life. For students it is more than once. Look back to the moments you have procrastinated and all of the stress it got you in. How anxious you felt, how stressed you were and how you were desperately wishing you could turn back time and done it earlier. Think about how stressful it was and how you don't want to go through that stress hell ever again. Think about how relieved you will feel once you get it out of the way as soon as possible and those moments of relief you felt in the past when you have completed all of your homework or revision early.

6) Think of that huge feeling of happiness you felt when you got a good grade in a test/exam - Look back to a moment when you got a really good grade on a test or exam. Think about how happy you felt and how proud you were. Beating the know-it-all arrogant kid who thinks they're smarter than everybody else or proving the people who viewed you as dumb wrong etc. Just remember how great and successful you felt aswell as how proud your parents were. Tell yourself that you want to continuously experience this feeling and so need to study and stop procrastinating in order to.

7) Other methods - Constructing timetables, rewarding oneself once you have finished studying for a certain period of time, telling yourself 'Is what I'm doing right now really that important?' or getting rid of distractions have been known to stop people from procrastinating. If you haven't done one of these methods try it.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!
Sorry if the advice isn't that great but any little helps :smile:
Just remember that we all do fall at times. We're not perfect so don't beat yourself up if you find yourself procrastinating again but make sure you learn from it and try to reduce it.

Good luck in your exams all!
(edited 12 years ago)
Yup, all true, and yet I still think watching youtube videos is better than catching up on my Further Mathematics work, so no this isn't a cure :biggrin:
Or just do a subject you;

- Are very keen on and want a career in
- Can get your mind around
- Can remember longer than 1hr
- Isn't theory on a constant basis. Mine isn't theory at all.

So what does this leave?

Engineering, science/tech, sports degrees, construction-related courses. Actual real-world subjects that the UK needs but have been sidelined by soft subjects.
watching paint dry / kettle boil > doing an essay / reading > listening to radio 4 = if you want to do work, radio 4 is your friend.
Really really good advice OP, but most people that procrastinate including myself know this, sometimes I just can't be arsed and literally have to force myself to work, it takes a lot of discipline to overcome procrastination :frown:
Reply 5
Surely the point of procrastination is that you know all of that but you still put it off.

You will spend your whole life with things that you would rather not do. In general you do just have to suck it up and get on with it, every single working adult in the country does this, they just don't make a song and dance about it.

You are naive for thinking that working hard and getting good grades = a 'great' life.
Reply 6
Haha, that was indeed a very motivating advice! I reckon I better get on with my horrendously long and boring Geography GCSE revision :smile:
I bookmarked this thread and I'll probably get around to reading it later. Where's my tl;dr?
Reply 8
Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor
I used to really struggle with procrastination & motivation but the following things have helped me to avoid procrastination:

1) Knowing that no one really enjoys studying - Most of those geniuses in your class probably don't enjoy studying that much, very few may but the majority of people don't and that includes the people who get the top grades. You don't really hear anyone say 'I love studying so much! Can't wait to study today!' I mean when you think about it practically anyone would choose watching tv/going out with friends/surfing the Internet/playing video games/playing sports etc. over studying. People study because they want good grades.

2) You CAN choose not to study, but then if you don't you get bad grades and live a terrible life - This is what I usually tell myself. I am aware that there are the occasions when people who did badly in their academics at school went on to became millionaires in the entertainment or business industry etc. but it is quite rare when you think about it. I like telling myself that you don't have to study if you don't want to, but just know that if you don't you'll get bad grades and probably won't get a good job so struggle a lot in life (or get into medicine for me, judging by my username).

3) Hard work pays off - KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS. It may seem like such a chore to put in loads of effort but at the end of the day it is all worth it. Think about 10 years from now when you're lounging on a sunbed in a luxury villa/hotel under the warm sun and thinking 'this is the life'. Was all of that studying for maybe a few months all worth it? Yes.

4) DON'T anticipate studying by hours (e.g 'I'll study for 7 hours today then 6 hours tomorrow') - I've found that when you say you're going to do a certain number of many hours for studying it really puts you off from studying because you think it will take such a long time. Instead, focus on getting some topics done within certain subjects. If it takes a short time fine, that's great. If it takes longer that's okay too. When you measure studying by hours you spend most of the time watching the clock so just concentrate on certain topics you aim to complete.

5) Think about all of the stress procrastination gets you into - Everyone has procrastinated at some point in their life. For students it is more than once. Look back to the moments you have procrastinated and all of the stress it got you in. How anxious you felt, how stressed you were and how you were desperately wishing you could turn back time and done it earlier. Think about how stressful it was and how you don't want to go through that stress hell ever again. Think about how relieved you will feel once you get it out of the way as soon as possible and those moments of relief you felt in the past when you have completed all of your homework or revision early.

6) Think of that huge feeling of happiness you felt when you got a good grade in a test/exam - Look back to a moment when you got a really good grade on a test or exam. Think about how happy you felt and how proud you were. Beating the know-it-all arrogant kid who thinks they're smarter than everybody else or proving the people who viewed you as dumb wrong etc. Just remember how great and successful you felt aswell as how proud your parents were. Tell yourself that you want to continuously experience this feeling and so need to study and stop procrastinating in order to.

7) Other methods - Constructing timetables, rewarding oneself once you have finished studying for a certain period of time, telling yourself 'Is what I'm doing right now really that important?' or getting rid of distractions have been known to stop people from procrastinating. If you haven't done one of these methods try it.

Just remember that we all do fall at times. We're not perfect so don't beat yourself up if you find yourself procrastinating again but make sure you learn from it and try to reduce it.

I already think these things, which then leads to daydreaming, which in turn leads to me wondering something about the world and going on the internet, which will inevitably lead to me spending hours on Facebook.

Oh, and I've spent hours making revision timetables that I COULD have spent studying, before.
Reply 9
Its too long I'll read it tomorrow
Original post by pbsjohnz
Its too long I'll read it tomorrow

I was actually thinking that :') I just read the main points :lol:
I have a very short attention span
Something's telling me you wrote this thread about procrastination to put off doing something.. oh the irony.
Yep, excellent points OP!
I'd also say that if you don't really need a computer to do your work, then avoid being around one. Or go somewhere where there is no internet.
Making little tests on word works for me. It's fun and i know what i've learnt.
Reply 14
Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor

Okay so I came back today and it was still too long but I saw 21 like so I had to read it! Guess what? You actually made some really good points that relate to me, so thank you for that! :biggrin:
Lol, I ALWAYS say "I'm gonna study 6 hours on this topic" and end up doing like 4. Each to their own I suppose, everyone works best in different waysssss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending