The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Haha I know they're so nice,
just very expensive though.
Sorry to ask you these questions, sometimes the website isn't enough :')

Do you know anything else about stephenson such as the rooms and the gender seperation?
Or do you recommend self catering :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Elz23

Do you know anything else about stephenson such as the rooms and the gender seperation?

I don't know much about Stephenson sorry. My friend lived there, who did medicine actually, but she didn't really spend much time there I think! Self catering is pretty good, I know when I lived in Endcliffe that catering was awful as you effectively lost money every week because your total didn't roll over to the next week but I have a feeling that may have changed now, I'm not entirely sure though. I believe that Endcliffe may also be getting a shop on site in September which will be helpful.
Original post by lizolove
No worries. It might be worth checking to see if they still do it. I am with Barclays and sadly don't get anything. I may still have an adult account though. S:

I will do but thanks for the heads up :smile:
I dont currently have a bank account as such - only a nationwide savers account and a yorkshire building society account - so in that respect i'm fairly open as to where to get one...its just finding the best deal!
Reply 423
Ah thankyouu! (:
Oh you lived in Endcliffe, would you say the extra money is worth it for the ensuite? :smile:
Original post by Elz23
Ah thankyouu! (:
Oh you lived in Endcliffe, would you say the extra money is worth it for the ensuite? :smile:

Yeah, it was great, and rent is so cheap in Sheffield that you make up for the extra you're paying in later years, I was paying £104 in Endcliffe and then £60 in second and third year. :smile:
Reply 425
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
I don't know much about Stephenson sorry. My friend lived there, who did medicine actually, but she didn't really spend much time there I think! Self catering is pretty good, I know when I lived in Endcliffe that catering was awful as you effectively lost money every week because your total didn't roll over to the next week but I have a feeling that may have changed now, I'm not entirely sure though. I believe that Endcliffe may also be getting a shop on site in September which will be helpful.

Oooh how definite is it that endcliffe is getting a shop and also do you know about the student union being closed or something? Thanks in advance :smile: x
Original post by RMW1994
Oooh how definite is it that endcliffe is getting a shop and also do you know about the student union being closed or something? Thanks in advance :smile: x

One of my friends is a residential mentor currently and I would say it is about 80/90% certain? I think they have the planning permission, I believe it will be a Co-op. Student Union isn't getting closed, they are renovating a section of it to install aircon and just generally redo it. Unfortunately it's the place where they have the club nights so although some will be moving temporarily to the Octagon, Population is probably likely to go. Rest of the union shouldn't be affected :smile:
Reply 427
Original post by Elz23

Stephenson and the other catered places are a bit further away from the main campus, so whilst still being part of it, they are a bit out of the way, probably since catered people need to go to the main middle campus bit to eat, so all students are in the area (e.g. if self-catered ones were there, they may just stay there a lot of the time, so it makes sense).
Our university is getting its facilities completely redone inclusive of cafes and eating facilities in Endcliffe, so really it's up to you. If you go catered however, I hear you don't get that big a living room/kitchen though, and you do sadly only get a fridge between the flat or something, so that could get annoying. Apart from that, it's a good option. I'd definitely recommend it to people who prefer not to cook, but would NOT recommend it to students who plan on going home a lot/go on placements with their degrees e.g. Medicine students/orthoptics etc, as you will pay weekly and just lose £40/week for when you are not there.
Reply 428
Original post by Elz23
Ah thankyouu! (:

Not sure if this question is aimed at me, but here's an answer anyway!
I am in Endcliffe currently, and I have a deluxe room, and it is DEFINITELY worth it. Although, saying that, I know people in shared bathroom places, and their bedrooms are a bit bigger and they share a few toilets and baths and showers between 8 of them or so, so it's not too bad. If you choose it, you do save about £1000, so really, it depends where your priorities lie. Although, personally, I'd rather be able to shower for however long I want, whenever really, hence why I got the bathroom. :smile:
Reply 429
Original post by BeccaCath94
I will do but thanks for the heads up :smile:
I dont currently have a bank account as such - only a nationwide savers account and a yorkshire building society account - so in that respect i'm fairly open as to where to get one...its just finding the best deal!

Fair play! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 430
I've firmed Sheffield and I can't wat to come in September (permitted I get the grades haha)

I was wondering if you could tell me a little about the study abroad opportunities. I've looked online, and there are some really cool places that you can go, and I was just wondering if you knew how many people apply, because for some there is only one place!

Thanks!
Original post by SCheng
I've firmed Sheffield and I can't wat to come in September (permitted I get the grades haha)

I was wondering if you could tell me a little about the study abroad opportunities. I've looked online, and there are some really cool places that you can go, and I was just wondering if you knew how many people apply, because for some there is only one place!

Thanks!

I knew a few people who did this, I think that pretty much everyone who applies does get to go but generally with the universities that have only one or two places, I think it was McGill in Canada that my friend decided against applying for, I understood it as those universities were generally given priority to those who had study abroad in their degree eg. Law with Study Abroad etc. So if you just fancied doing it it was pretty pointless applying as these places were always given to those who had to do it. It's definitely a good thing to do, plus the two people I know who did have done a lot better with applying for graduate jobs than most. :smile:
Reply 432
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
I knew a few people who did this, I think that pretty much everyone who applies does get to go but generally with the universities that have only one or two places, I think it was McGill in Canada that my friend decided against applying for, I understood it as those universities were generally given priority to those who had study abroad in their degree eg. Law with Study Abroad etc. So if you just fancied doing it it was pretty pointless applying as these places were always given to those who had to do it. It's definitely a good thing to do, plus the two people I know who did have done a lot better with applying for graduate jobs than most. :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile:
I'm really interested in doing the study abroad year, but my degree doesn't really have study abroad as a requirement; i'm doing English and Philosophy.

We'll see what happens when i get to Sheffield, but i hope i can at least go somewhere haha
Original post by SCheng
I'm really interested in doing the study abroad year, but my degree doesn't really have study abroad as a requirement; i'm doing English and Philosophy.

We'll see what happens when i get to Sheffield, but i hope i can at least go somewhere haha

I imagine you more than likely will!
Reply 434
Original post by SCheng

Thanks!

I hear they are popular schemes, but I also hear you do get a top three choice most of the time. Depending on your year's choices of course. But really, there's no bad places to go! And according to the popularity of the location means there'll be more or less places, so it works accordingly. E.g. Slovakia, only one place may exist, but in Australia, there'll be considerably more.
Reply 435
Original post by SCheng

Pretty much anybody can do it, except Med students, orthoptists and vets too apparently. And perhaps dentistry students (apparently it's unavailable due to placements overlapping).
Hi! I was wondering how this works.

Is it possible if I do BEng in Electrical Engineering in Sheffield, then apply for MSc (in the same subject field) in Imperial? Assuming I meet the entry requirements, how hard is it to gain admissions for the taught MSc Degree? There are few statistics on the Internet.

As a safety net, could I continue on with MEng in my first university, if I fail to gain admission in Imperial?

Also, what's the difference between a MEng and a MSc Degree? I need 4 years of education to apply for chartered engineering license in the country I come from.

What else do I have to think about?

The reason I'm considering this is, that I'm an international student and idea of surviving in pricey London for four years is not sustainable.

Really appreciate the help! THANKS SO MUCH.
Hey :smile: I've firmed Sheffield for english language and linguistics... I've applied for ensuite self catered in endcliffe. really looking forward to coming :smile: the only thing that concerns me a little is potential flatmates... I don't want to never go out, but at the same time I do want to study and not go out like 4 or 5 times a week... I'd hate for that to conflict with what my flatmates want to do, did you or anyone you know have this problem?? basically what i mean is I hope people aren't recluses OR super super keen on going out all the time :P sorry bit of a weird thing to ask I know :P
Reply 438
Original post by marianne93
Hey :smile: I've firmed Sheffield for english language and linguistics... I've applied for ensuite self catered in endcliffe. really looking forward to coming :smile: the only thing that concerns me a little is potential flatmates... I don't want to never go out, but at the same time I do want to study and not go out like 4 or 5 times a week... I'd hate for that to conflict with what my flatmates want to do, did you or anyone you know have this problem?? basically what i mean is I hope people aren't recluses OR super super keen on going out all the time :P sorry bit of a weird thing to ask I know :P

Congrats on your place here, you'll love it!
You won't have a conflict, honestly! People here are really lovely, and if you tell them you can't make it out, they will understand! Also, issues of noise you can just discuss with your residential mentor, so if anybody is really loud, you can sort it that way if they don't be quiet. Also, if it's the worst case scenario, there are ways you can move flats.

Hope this helps, it's normal to ask these questions. :smile:
Good luck! x
Original post by lizolove
Congrats on your place here, you'll love it!
You won't have a conflict, honestly! People here are really lovely, and if you tell them you can't make it out, they will understand! Also, issues of noise you can just discuss with your residential mentor, so if anybody is really loud, you can sort it that way if they don't be quiet. Also, if it's the worst case scenario, there are ways you can move flats.

Hope this helps, it's normal to ask these questions. :smile:
Good luck! x

Thanks so much :smile: I feel reassured now, it's not that I'm unsociable at all but I like my sleep and want to work hard too :smile:
Having said that, I guess everyone at uni has that same mindset so it shouldn't be an issue :smile:)))

Latest

Trending

Trending