The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6660
Original post by davey99
I was at exactly the same auditions as you (14th and 23rd), so too was my partner, but we've heard nothing yet. I'm trying to stay positive but the disregard that casting has shown us definitely dampens the enthusiasm. They're obviously struggling with the scale of the task, which is a bit of a worry as we are the ones the one's that'll look like muppets (hopefully not literally) if it's not spectacular enough.

Don't believe that casting are struggling, they are probably working to an agenda. We can conjecture and suppose but will never truly know the system that casting are working to unless we get inside knowledge and given the confidentiality of the whole thing that is unlikely. I know it is highly frustrating and a pain to wait with little or no communication but that is the way it is unfortunately. We have all been through it and some have waited longer than February auditions, sometimes it has been good news eventually (maclondon yesterday) and some still waiting(see Galactica et al). Can only say keep waiting and fingers crossed for a good outcome for you. If successfully cast the wait and feeling when you hear really is worth it and wonderful!!

Oops, meant to say, I had my first rehearsal last week and our segment looks truly amazing and spectacular - so no muppets will be in sight on the night :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6661
Original post by lanza101
I am sure some of you looked at the LOCOG pro production job applications. They were asking for very detailed stadium and olympic level experience- who the hell has that?

Actually, there will be a reasonable pool of people with this level of experience. It'll be the same production teams that work events like stadium concerts (think Muse/Take That, etc), big sporting events (FA Cup final) and so on. They're just people that most of us are unaware of - and many work internationally on similar scale projects. There are plenty of big stadium spectaculars that go on all the time round the world, especially in Asia & the Middle East. And it's one area where Brits have quite a good reputation and punch above their weight in the global talent pool.
Reply 6662
Original post by phkrh
Hi

Have been lurking for a few weeks - was a student once, now working at a Uni.
Have, an offer for the OCC. One question that some of you who have started rehearsals may be able to answer:

Are the Oyster cards valid only on individual preset rehearsal days, or, for instance, are they valid on days adjacent to rehearsal days? If people need to arrive, for example, the day before, will they be able to use the cards, or will they have to purchase additional travel cards?

Cheers

Mine was set amount - I guess based on single journey max fare - but as Oyster data is trackable I'd agree with MsIs and just check with your casting co-ordinator. You have a direct email address for them on your offer letter. Am sure it will be ok as long as you're using it for 1 journey in and 1 out again. If you're using it to get to London, and then the next day another time to get from where you're staying to the venue that would count as 2 journey's and may not be what they're budgetted for.
(edited 11 years ago)
I got the dreaded reserve email on Sunday, too....

Original post by Aber_Stokie

I hope that we 22nd-ers can join your excitement soon!

Did I jinx us? Apologies if so!

Oddly enough, I was about to log on to ponder whether we 22nd-ers were being held back for reserve positions when I got my email. It was the mention of the NHS that got me thinking that. Perhaps they expected a few drop-outs from that segment due to shifts, etc. and auditioned that group in the knowledge that the vast majority would be reserves.

Obviously I am hugely disappointed not to have been cast and it certainly points towards a summer of waiting and wondering but I have decided that the best thing to do is to not think about it much more but also not book anything that I can't afford to miss just in case the slim possibilty of a slot presents itself.

The main thing is that I REALLY want to take part in the Olympics so would hate to take myself away on holiday / take another job only to get a last-minute call-up.
Hello,

Another lurker. I auditioned 16th Feb and then recall the 22nd (I think!). Recall was hiphop. I've done lots of dancing but mainly ballet and jazz and struggled with looking 'cool'! I just wanted to add my stats. I have yet to hear anything, but I auditioned with three friends who have all heard. One got an offer for Closing (two to three weeks ago), and two more got straight out nos (last week). When all my friends had heard and I hadn't, I presumed that meant Casting were just taking a long time to reject the unsuccessful and were concentrating on contacting all the Cast first, and that I could safely assume I wasn't in. But then reading on here about recent offers has given me hope again! Fingers crossed for finding out this week and I'll update you for your spreadsheet either way!
Still waiting here.

I know a lot of people thought that offers went out in segments, but the para lot seems a bit more mixed up. My thoughts randomly seem to then go to last names. I hope this could be true and that is why i am still waiting, with a last name beginning with W.

Always a hope aye?
Reply 6666
Original post by Aber_Stokie
I got the dreaded reserve email on Sunday, too....

Did I jinx us? Apologies if so!

Oddly enough, I was about to log on to ponder whether we 22nd-ers were being held back for reserve positions when I got my email. It was the mention of the NHS that got me thinking that. Perhaps they expected a few drop-outs from that segment due to shifts, etc. and auditioned that group in the knowledge that the vast majority would be reserves.

Obviously I am hugely disappointed not to have been cast and it certainly points towards a summer of waiting and wondering but I have decided that the best thing to do is to not think about it much more but also not book anything that I can't afford to miss just in case the slim possibilty of a slot presents itself.

The main thing is that I REALLY want to take part in the Olympics so would hate to take myself away on holiday / take another job only to get a last-minute call-up.

Hahaha! Now I know who to blame! :tongue: You've obviously jinxed us 22nd-ers! lol! As far as I know, we all got put on the reserve list! Except for my mum who hasn't heard yet!
So sorry to hear that Aber_Stokie but at least you have a reserve place unlike the friends of redonionmarmalade who were at the same audition so there is still hope? I am surprised at the couple of 'nos' but that does mean they saw some something positive in the auditions of you 'reserves' that they would still like to see you if positions arise. Hope redonionmarmalade that you will hear soon. Yes Lara5 that audition does seem to have been jinxed somewhat - perhaps they have decided they did not need as many hiphoppers as they thought - I am sure it is no reflection on your ability but you may have suffered through having one of the last recalls perhaps.

I wonder if there are any more props/staging-type jobs available for you reserves - perhaps timefortea would know. That certainly seems to be a role with plenty of involvement with rehearsals and the ceremonies themselves.
Original post by Mum of Students
I CANNOT believe that Casting/Creative Team are now getting the blame for it raining!

If that comment is directed at me (which I suspect it is) I just wanted to clarify that I think whilst Casting could legitimately get blamed for some things they do or could control, poor weather is most certainly not one of them, although if they are expecting you to queue or even rehearse outdoors for extended periods there should at least be SOME provision for some overhead shelter to be available to you and used if and when rain interferes with the process. To want to stay dry and/or fairly comfortable during rehearsals is surely not that unreasonable a request nor a sign that you are somehow weak and not up to doing the role you've been cast for and that you should therefore be denied the opportunity to take part (as seems to be the inference on here)!

It's interesting to note too Mumofstudents that you picked up on that comment but yet have nothing to say (as would appear does anyone on here so far) about my constructive suggestion that Casting should have told the reserves certain dates they should try to keep clear in order to attend compulsory rehearsals in the event that they do eventually get cast. They must have some idea which section each reserve would be best suited to by now.

However, this forum is supposed to be a friendly arena so let's not poke fun at each other or make our differing views on my ongoing plight as a reserve quite so personal eh? That would not help anyone's morale I'm sure.

No need to reply ! (best wishes)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6669
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
Still waiting here.

I know a lot of people thought that offers went out in segments, but the para lot seems a bit more mixed up. My thoughts randomly seem to then go to last names. I hope this could be true and that is why i am still waiting, with a last name beginning with W.

Always a hope aye?

Until you are told no there is always hope OneAndOnlyEmmaW - don't give up (maclondon who had been waiting since November, I think, got congrats you are in yesterday!!):console: Here's hoping for you and all waiting to here.
Original post by redonionmarmalade
Hello,

Another lurker. I auditioned 16th Feb and then recall the 22nd (I think!). Recall was hiphop. I've done lots of dancing but mainly ballet and jazz and struggled with looking 'cool'! I just wanted to add my stats. I have yet to hear anything, but I auditioned with three friends who have all heard. One got an offer for Closing (two to three weeks ago), and two more got straight out nos (last week). When all my friends had heard and I hadn't, I presumed that meant Casting were just taking a long time to reject the unsuccessful and were concentrating on contacting all the Cast first, and that I could safely assume I wasn't in. But then reading on here about recent offers has given me hope again! Fingers crossed for finding out this week and I'll update you for your spreadsheet either way!

Straight no eh? Now that's unusual (and commiserations to your two friends that happened to btw). Presumably this response was after a recall rather than simply the first audition only?
In the checking, editing and re-editing of my post I accidentally deleted the part that said:

HUGE congratulations, maclondon!!!! Absolutely thrilled for you.

Have a great time in rehearsals.
Original post by MsIs
Until you are told no there is always hope OneAndOnlyEmmaW - don't give up (maclondon who had been waiting since November, I think, got congrats you are in yesterday!!):console: Here's hoping for you and all waiting to here.

Here Here - which is why I am still prepared to keep my diary fairly fluid for the moment (although have more or less made up my mind that if any eventual offer is for anything or than opening ceremony then I will probably decline as I have other commitments and plans for beyond 27th July 2012 as was always the case for me really). Nothing to do with not rating participation in any of the other 3 ceremonies high enough, just being practical (I'm already "making do" working P/T in a job which may/may not become a full-time offer by then for example and I don't see why I should jeoparise that when sitting out as a reserve waiting for news re. Olympics like I have been doing has, at least in theory, cost me something like 2 days' wages each of the past 10 weeks so far and this is ongoing as the wait for Casting indefinitely is now also stopping me looking elsewhere for a F/T work opportunity now).

However, at least I am able to work P/T whilst I wait (and thus not torture myself too much by coming on here so much as a result and, believe me, am grateful for the distraction in the meantime).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cornishscot
If that comment is directed at me (which I suspect it is) I just wanted to clarify that I think whilst Casting could legitimately get blamed for some things they do or could control, poor weather is most certainly not one of them, although if they are expecting you to queue or even rehearse outdoors for extended periods there should at least be SOME provision for some overhead shelter to be available to you and used if and when rain interferes with the process. To want to stay dry and/or fairly comfortable during rehearsals is surely not that unreasonable a request nor a sign that you are somehow weak and not up to doing the role you've been cast for and that you should therefore be denied the opportunity to take part (as seems to be the inference on here)!

It's interesting to note too Mumofstudents that you picked up on that comment but yet have nothing to say (as would appear does anyone on here so far) about my constructive suggestion that Casting should have told the reserves certain dates they should try to keep clear in order to attend compulsory rehearsals in the event that they do eventually get cast. They must have some idea which section each reserve would be best suited to by now.

However, this forum is supposed to be a friendly arena so let's not poke fun at each other or make our differing views on my ongoing plight as a reserve quite so personal eh? That would not help anyone's morale I'm sure.

oh dear, i'm sure mumofstudents wasn't being malicious, and merely meant that in jest :frown:

I can see the argument for not sending out dates as then reserves will purposefully put their other plans on hold when it isn't necessary, and then they'd be upset re that? Or it may be a case that maybe reserves are general, say you auditioned for drumming but an actor dropped out and they decided you might be suited to that after all? Then the rehearsals are different?
Reply 6674
CALLING ALL FELLOW FOPPERS.............

Due to me starting a new job next week I am unable to attend the first rehearsal/orientation session on 1st May. Casting co-ordinators have been great and told me not to worry as it isn't compulsory.

HOWEVER

It will kill me to have to wait until 2nd June to find out what we are doing. Would one of you kindly PM me with a few details where possible?? I appreciate discretion is key however even if it is just what FOP stands for and the type of role to whet my appetite would be awesome

thanks muchly
:smile:

Great article Pinnerite - thanks for sharing !
If that comment is directed at me (which I suspect it is) I just wanted to clarify that I think whilst Casting could legitimately get blamed for some things they do or could control, poor weather is most certainly not one of them, although if they are expecting you to queue or even rehearse outdoors for extended periods there should at least be SOME provision for some overhead

The current rehearsals are indoors. The 1:1 apparently has some structures for at least dry storage and there has been a warning to dress appropriately. In terms of some people getting wet last week, it is surely not unreasonable to expect grown adults to check a weather forecast and plan accordingly since from past experience, there was always going to be some walking around outside even from Tube to venue.

The compulsory dates vary by segment and AFAIK most of the July times are TBA for everyone. All they could realistically say is keep most of July free which isn't that helpful and probably common sense in any case. They may have some idea of which reserves might slot in where but until there is a space, it is yet another over promise - and very subject to change.

I do wonder whether they will start releasing reserves to the "no" list as they get more of an idea of how many will be needed. Would be very interested in seeing the wording of a 'no' email
Reply 6677

I don't think casting can actually be blamed for much apart from being slow in communicating, apart from waiting to hear on an offer (along with others) I have managed to have quite good communicatoin with my casting co-ordinator. I am aware they are busy and they have a huge amount of people do deal with as well as the logistics of the ceremonies and all that entails. And things do go wrong but that happens in any company/organisation - nothing is perfect.

As for the weather - I don't remember reading about anyone complaining of the rain; I said it was a pain but I went prepared with a waterproof and umbrella - as did many others. This is England and the weather is not always dry and warm; we cannot expect provisions to made to keep us under shelter whilst queuing for or during rehearsals, mainly owing to the large number of people, and rehearsals have to happen in the open air regardless, as do the actual ceremonies. We were warned in our volunteer agreements that the weather may become inclement. What happens if it rains on the night - do we all run for cover or get covered up in plastic ponchos, or the like? It beggars belief that anyone would expect this for rehearsals or otherwise. If people don't want to get wet whilst rehearsing then they have a choice, do it or don't. Stark I know but there it is.

I am sure you will appreciate the confidentiality surrounding the games/ceremonies and information to volunteers who have been cast is also confidential, including rehearsal dates, venues, etc. To pass that information on to reserves, even if they are waiting in the wings, would be a breach of that confidentiality and therefore defeats the purpose. Reserves are not yet part of the ceremonies and rehearsal information is given on a need to know basis - reserves quite simply do not need to know until they are utilised.

I do feel for reserves who are left hanging in the balance but they can choose whether to wait it out and hopefully get cast, or give their place up and get on with life.

I agree that this is a friendly forum and morale on the whole is good/great and very supportive; however I don't agree with your opinions (and those of lanza101) regarding casting and gave up reading them, but your opinion is your right and you have a right to express it. Whether I choose to read it is my right.

MumofStudents, I am sure, can choose to reply to your question/assertation for herself.
Reply 6678
Original post by maclondon
good things come to those that wait! :smile:

Cast Offer, 44 FOP :smile:

very very very very very happy

Fantastic, congratulations MacLondon. How you have stayed sane all the way from your November audition with no news is almost beyond belief !

Am so pleased to hear you are in. Congratulations to the others who have had recent offers, and pleased to hear that there is some eveidence of reserves being called up after people have dropped out, even if it isn't anyone on here yet - must only be a matter of time.

Like Essex Girl I have also just had a mail to tell me I'm a reserve Gamesmaker, and they may well need people to step it at short notice. I had heard nothing since October 2010 except a holding e-mail, and like Essex Girl I had plenty of experience as a first aider, defibbrillator qualified, community first responder plus loads of other volunteering experience. I am thinking I will come off this list now though, as props will take up lots of time.

With regard to the comments about getting rained on in the ceremonies we may well be standing by with umbrellas for you !

Finally good luck to everyone still waiting. Time we had some Paralympic Closing Ceremony offers !
Original post by Mandy_Panda

I can see the argument for not sending out dates as then reserves will purposefully put their other plans on hold when it isn't necessary, and then they'd be upset re that? Or it may be a case that maybe reserves are general, say you auditioned for drumming but an actor dropped out and they decided you might be suited to that after all? Then the rehearsals are different?

Nope, sorry, don't buy that argument really - if they made it clear we were given dates just to help with out planning but on the basis that this did not guarantee we would be neede on that date, should not upset you any more than being told you are on the reserve list in the first place. They would only need to have given compulsory dates and the segment role category (i.e. dancing/acting/drumming) and not necessarily the segment number but it would have done no harm to include that as well for ease of reference on each party's part later maybe. No need for location details either just am/pm/eve and start/end times maybe.

If they were at all unsure which segment then they could say to those reserves. We accept that you auditioned specifically as a drummer/actor/dancer but our creative decisions have yet to be finalised and we may therefore eventually use you in a utility or more general role in the field of play rather than as something so specific after all. For this reason we are not yet able to give you any rehearsal dates but hope to be in a decision to do so no later than end of April 2012 and will contact you again by way of an update then so need to worry unduly about dates in the meantime as it is unlikely you would be called for rehearsals before then and we will try to give you reasonable notice if we do need you to fill a vacant slot somewhere anyway. Thank you for your patience meantime.

Anything like the above suggestions I've made would have helped me to plan better in comparison to how it has been handled anyway. It would also have given me concrete re-assurance that being placed on reserve was not an outright "no" at this tage and that there was indeed a chance that I could still be required somewhere. This has so far been denied me and I don't mind admitting publicly that I feel more frustrated than I might otherwise have felt at this stage in the process. (which you've probably detected by now). My previous goodwill is fading the longer they leave it to give me some provisional dates let along an offer and an indication as to what they might need me to do.

It's not too late for them though if the segment(s) I am being considered for, particularly the drumming as someone here on TSR has already reminded me, has/have not even started rehearsing yet. I still have availability, quite a lot in fact (I'm not one of these super busy people who needs to be booked 6 months' in advance if you want me to do something and will always try to fit you in if the desire's there to do it in the first place) - this year is a wee bit different in that I won't definitately agree to something else pre. 27th July that I can't subsequently get myself out of without feeling guilty about letting someone else down, whilst I am kept waiting indefinitely it seems for what I would really prefer to do at the moment which, of course, is take part in the Opening Ceremony in some way if I possibly can.

If it turns out I am not actually available when they want me then, even after all this time, I would have to say "that's just too bad" , decline the offer and move on to other projects and interests. It's not the be all and end all by any means, however disappointing not eventually being called up would actually be given my initial basic desire to take part, hence the reason I auditioned in the first place.

I thought I had what was needed (or could learn whatever else was required at numerous rehearsals) and therefore had something tangible to offer them, I also had the time availability (from Nov/Dec/Jan onwards) to actually be able to commit to doing it and, despite since being made redundant in January have been fortunate enough to find another job for now, one which being P/T is o.k. and flexible enough to allow me to change my working plans to accommodate rehearsals if needs be and, finally, I have the wherewithall to actually find the rehearsal venue (in all weathers) combined with the stamina to travel from SE/SW London or wherever to get there.

In other words the whole package they presumably need for certain roles and yet still I have no definite offer from them even though they "enjoyed my work" apparently.

As for knowing which dates to give reserves as an interim measure/response I say again that if they are experienced at planning events such as these (as they are supposed to be and I would have to agree they probably are which i why they are in the casting team and not volunteering to take part like we are) they will, by now, know exactly which segment(s) each reserve is being considered for and they need only give the compulsory dates for that/those segment(s) at this stage and an indication as to what sort of time we will be required on those dates and for approx. how long in a NE London venue somewhere (without actually saying where that venue is).

However, what do I know about it eh?

Latest