The Student Room Group

Chemistry HL, P3 (OPTIONS) TZ2 2012

24 hours have passed. What were your options and how did you do? Mine were Biochemistry and Medicines and Drugs and to be honest, it was the easiest exam yet! :smile: Let's hope that'll bring my crap P1 and P2 grades up.

Scroll to see replies

My option were Modern Analytical Chemistry and Medicines and Drugs.
Modern Analytical was easier than I expected, mainly because it wasn't too NMR heavy, and they didn't ask you to find a compound from a spectrum.
Medicines was a dream, they really picked all the easy questions and put nothing on drug design or drug action. Loved it.
Analytical was alright, but no big NMR, no mass spec, no GLC...just vague questions about chromatography......

Further organic was alright if you knew it, bad if you didn't.
Original post by kingcoltzan

Further organic was alright if you knew it, bad if you didn't.

But of course one assumes one has learnt and revised the topic before going in to do that option in the exam...

;-)
Original post by ElationAndPathways
But of course one assumes one has learnt and revised the topic before going in to do that option in the exam...

;-)

Yeah but I made r mistake of going in unprepared having spent too much time on paper one and twos. Which is probably going to hav cost me my 7.
Reply 5
Paper 3 was awesome. Food and Environmental options were pretty easy! Hopefully that balances out some of the silly mistakes I made in paper 2... :/
Reply 6
Best paper 3 EVER. Thank you IB for this paper. Chemistry in Industry and Environmental chemistry were so easy I was smiling through out the paper.
those who took medicine option what did you get for the structural difference between steroid and testosterone i think. was it the methyl group and also why is the drug taken in salt form rather than its pure form.
Reply 8
anyone here did further organic chem?? People are often intimidated by it in my school, but to me its the best option.
Reply 9
and in environmental chem what did u guys write for the last qn conditions necessary for formation of primary pollutants in smog?
Reply 10
Original post by arthurhoe123
those who took medicine option what did you get for the structural difference between steroid and testosterone i think. was it the methyl group and also why is the drug taken in salt form rather than its pure form.

I think it was a comparison between estradiol, progesterone and testosterone (all three mentioned in the data booklet), but wanted us to focus on progesterone and testosterone? I put the main difference was that testosterone had a hydroxyl group attached to its 5C-ring and progesterone had a ketone group attached to its 5C-ring.

As for the drug question: it's pure form is non polar, and salt form is polar. For the drug to take effect, it must dissolve in our body. However, our blood is polar and will only dissolve polar substances. That's why we take its salt form (i.e. polar form).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by MAMDS1993
and in environmental chem what did u guys write for the last qn conditions necessary for formation of primary pollutants in smog?

- Sunny and dry weather
- Thermal inversion
- No vertical wind
I did analytical and human biochem.
Analytical was awesome, bit disappointed that there wasn't more on HNMR but it was cool anyway.

Human biochem wasn't an option that we learned in class but I didn't like the look of the environmental one so I did it anyway. Thought it was alright, especially for never having learned it.
Reply 13
Original post by momentalus
- Sunny and dry weather
- Thermal inversion
- No vertical wind

Great I wrote the no wind, and temp inversion :smile:! Coz then if there was wind it would prevent the layer of warm air from trapping the air near the ground!
Original post by MAMDS1993
anyone here did further organic chem?? People are often intimidated by it in my school, but to me its the best option.

We did it , and I hated it, didn't do enough practice and didn't study it enough in comparison to P1/2, really think thats going to drop me to a 6 :frown:

And it's ridiculous, in Maths each option has it's own grade boundary, I understand its a bit of a farse to have boundaries for 7 options or whatever there are, but I don't think its fair to grade them all the same.....I wish we hadn't done Further organic, but school forced us.
Original post by mintaltoids
I think it was a comparison between estradiol, progesterone and testosterone (all three mentioned in the data booklet), but wanted us to focus on progesterone and testosterone? I put the main difference was that testosterone had a hydroxyl group attached to its 5C-ring and progesterone had a ketone group attached to its 5C-ring.

As for the drug question: it's pure form is non polar, and salt form is polar. For the drug to take effect, it must dissolve in our body. However, our blood is polar and will only dissolve polar substances. That's why we take its salt form (i.e. polar form).

Yea got that same answer for the hydroxyl group but I remembered that was a question about a steroid comparison as well. The steroid was drawn on the paper . I kinda got the salt question right, I wrote its polar and that it's effect will be greater because it can get absorbed quicker. For the ion diagram I just removed the H not sure about that
Reply 16
We did it , and I hated it, didn't do enough practice and didn't study it enough in comparison to P1/2, really think thats going to drop me to a 6 :frown:

And it's ridiculous, in Maths each option has it's own grade boundary, I understand its a bit of a farse to have boundaries for 7 options or whatever there are, but I don't think its fair to grade them all the same.....I wish we hadn't done Further organic, but school forced us.

I am not a person who loves reading, so further organic was good for me! I feel like I remember all the qns, there was elimination mechanism, addition-elimination with 2-4-dinitrophenyhydrazine, chlorination of benzene, nucleophilic addition with CN- ions,effects of deactivators and activators and comparing acidities!
Reply 17

I am not a person who loves reading, so further organic was good for me! I feel like I remember all the qns, there was elimination mechanism, addition-elimination with 2-4-dinitrophenyhydrazine, chlorination of benzene, nucleophilic addition with CN- ions,effects of deactivators and activators and comparing acidities!
Reply 18
Hey those who did analytical: how many peaks did you give to 1-bromobutane and 2-bromobutane?
Original post by momentalus
Best paper 3 EVER. Thank you IB for this paper. Chemistry in Industry and Environmental chemistry were so easy I was smiling through out the paper.

Tell me about it bro! So short too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending