The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Specification B AS Level

Okay so this is the one with categorizing texts, then the choice to do an essay of gender, technology or power.

I got 46/48 on categorizing texts essay then i got 39/48 the one after, and I haven't done the other one for a while but i am definitely doing gender!
I was just wondering, how do you get the top marks?
Specifically for the gender one, as the mark scheme is different and i haven't done an essay on gender for AGES.
Apart from using gender theories and lots of terminology, how do you get into the top band?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't necessarily need to mention the specific theories in order to get an A grade for the second section. It's pretty much all about context. Take quotes from the text, say what they have done, why they have done it, and how it relates to gender. Make several good paragraphs and it should all go well. If you talk about some theories then make sure they are actually relevant - there's no point trying to make a text fit a point of it really doesn't relate - you won't lose marks; you'll only be wasting your time.
Reply 2
Original post by D-Box
You don't necessarily need to mention the specific theories in order to get an A grade for the second section. It's pretty much all about context. Take quotes from the text, say what they have done, why they have done it, and how it relates to gender. Make several good paragraphs and it should all go well. If you talk about some theories then make sure they are actually relevant - there's no point trying to make a text fit a point of it really doesn't relate - you won't lose marks; you'll only be wasting your time.

ah okay thanks! yeah context is a bit factor i guess, i hope that it's a good extract for gender!
Text categorising is always one I struggle on but I've recently just got my mock back and was happy with ,y mark! How do you go about grouping them....eg. How many groupings do you do? And what groups do you choose? I usually go for purpose, audience, and mode but I've been told they need to be more "sophisticated"

Well Done!
Reply 4
i have a question...
what is 'yeah' as a lingustic framework.
i'm confused between a filler, back channel
Reply 5
Original post by mbz
i have a question...
what is 'yeah' as a lingustic framework.
i'm confused between a filler, back channel

It's more of a back channel if it's said by the listener. However if somebody says it mid-sentence when only they are talking you could easily say it's a voiced pause.
Reply 6
cool thanks
Reply 7
how are you guys finding ways to revise for this? really struggling! would appreciate some tips :smile::smile:
Reply 8
Original post by etaylor95
how are you guys finding ways to revise for this? really struggling! would appreciate some tips :smile::smile:

well because ive only started now, im just going to revise the terms and theories ill need for gender and just hope or the best with categorising...lol
Reply 9
Same, but with power.

Are the dates of theories important?
Reply 10
Original post by TwinAz
Same, but with power.

Are the dates of theories important?

Not at all - you won't really gain extra marks from them. If you know the date, by all means put it down because it can make it clear you know what you're talking about. Don't go out of your way to learn the dates though.
Original post by emmily95

Apart from using gender theories and lots of terminology, how do you get into the top band?

I don't know if this is just me, but my Gender essays got gradually worse the more theories I learned, because I now just seem to put as many theories as I can in without paying attention to how relevant they are or the context of the text :rolleyes:

So I'm hoping for a good Technology or Power question :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by okonomiyaki
I don't know if this is just me, but my Gender essays got gradually worse the more theories I learned, because I now just seem to put as many theories as I can in without paying attention to how relevant they are or the context of the text :rolleyes:

So I'm hoping for a good Technology or Power question :smile:

Okonomiyaki,

What power theories do you have?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by D-Box
Not at all - you won't really gain extra marks from them. If you know the date, by all means put it down because it can make it clear you know what you're talking about. Don't go out of your way to learn the dates though.

Ok - thankyou.

I've left my revision till the last minute, and don't feel I have time to learn petty things. Not to mention, I have two other exams tomorrow.

Also; would you consider the following, judicious and insightful groupings:

Subtextual issues (Multi modality/Multi purpose)
Context Dependance/awareness
Discourse
Variation of register

Although, I am short on on the quantity I can write for a register grouping.

Finally :P, in the mark scheme it makes note of 'systematic' interpretations, by this, is the examiner looking for a clear plan, which assigns a framework to individual paragraphs (For task 2).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I am so worried about this exam. Looking at past questions I would have no idea how to group them!!
AHHH!!
Reply 15
i need help with "kuiper's theory' for gender. i cant find anything
Reply 16
Original post by mbz
i need help with "kuiper's theory' for gender. i cant find anything

Kuiper (1991) Said that men will use more insults and are less face saving. The reasoning for this is apparently to express solidarity.

That's pretty much all that there is for that theory, but it still might be good to reference it if you see men using insults. Or, if you see a female being face threatening you can say that it goes against Kuiper's theory.
Reply 17
thanks
you know if ive learnt brown and levinson for power
can i still use them for gender
Original post by TwinAz
Okonomiyaki,

What power theories do you have?

Wareing- Language represents either Political, Personal, or Social Group power

Faircough- Power in Discourse= how power is manifested in language
Power Behind Discourse= pragmatic/ideological reasons behind power
Advertising constructs a product image to make the receiver seem like an ideal customer using synthetic personalisation and members' resources (background knowledge of pop culture etc.)
Power relationships give rise to a dominant participant in conversation who places constraints on the less powerful participant.

Coulthard and Sinclair- Teachers in classrooms maintain set structures for discourse which mark them out as the powerful participant, typically initiation-response-feedback.

Brown and Levinson- Power can be threatened in a conversation through FTAs or "Face Threatening acts". "Face" is an individual's need to feel valued and unimposed upon- in conversation FTAs can be avoided through positive politeness strategies eg. "I really appreciate..." or negative politeness strategies "I'm sorry, but..."

that's it. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by D-Box
It's more of a back channel if it's said by the listener. However if somebody says it mid-sentence when only they are talking you could easily say it's a voiced pause.

Back channelling is speaker support, such as "yeah yeah" or "umm umm". Fillers is a sign of uncertainty or used to fill (hence name) gaps in spoken discourse.

Quick Reply

Latest