The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6860
My tuition fees are 9k but the maximum loan theyre giving me for it is £3,465? I thought we get 9k a year?
Reply 6861
Original post by Gooly
My tuition fees are 9k but the maximum loan theyre giving me for it is £3,465? I thought we get 9k a year?

Something's happened with your application. Have you got previous study, or have you applied as a continuing student?

You could call SF to sort it out, but your application will be assessed by a real human being.
Reply 6862
Hi there, just a couple of questions about my online application if that's alright?

Firstly in the "Your Course" section I have to put down the month and year in which I'll finish my course. Is that the last month of my last term (June 2015) or when the university's academic year ends (September 2015)?

Secondly, in the "Your Course ~ Term Time" section I have to give my term time address. Should I give the address of the whole college I'll be staying in or do I need to be more specific, i.e. try to find which accommodation I'll be staying in within the college?

Thirdly in the "Your Loan ~ Loan Details" section I need to give my sort code. On my bank card this has hyphens in it, is it necessary I type these in? Or does it not really matter either way?

Lastly, after I've submitted my online application is there anything I need to send through the post to student finance?

Any help would really be appreciated thanks.
Sam
Reply 6863
My family income is £45,500 but on my application loan details it says my maintenance loan is £4081, but I should be getting more then that right.
Hello,
If both parents income totals is £4650 per year ( it is VERY LOW) will I get the full £9000 tuition fees loan & maybe will I be able to get maintenance loan/grant? I'm EU student

Pls help,?
Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
I submitted my application and got sent a letter saying they need my bank details- I didn't enter any when I made my application as I'm going to set up a student bank account when my dad is home (he is in Australia atm so can't help)- is there a deadline for this, or do I just have to enter my details ASAP before starting the course?
Original post by thompsonic7
I submitted my application and got sent a letter saying they need my bank details- I didn't enter any when I made my application as I'm going to set up a student bank account when my dad is home (he is in Australia atm so can't help)- is there a deadline for this, or do I just have to enter my details ASAP before starting the course?

Any time before your course starts! I haven't entered my bank details yet either!
Original post by saulyte1120
Hello,
If both parents income totals is £4650 per year ( it is VERY LOW) will I get the full £9000 tuition fees loan & maybe will I be able to get maintenance loan/grant? I'm EU student

Pls help,?
Thanks

maintenance grants/loans are not available for eu students as far as i know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thompsonic7

Might be worth pointing out that you can also enter your current bank details and change them at a later date. If you're staying with the same bank and just upgrading to a student account then your details will stay the same.
Reply 6869
Original post by saulyte1120
Hello,

Pls help,?
Thanks

EU students get a tuition fee loan only, and aren't entitled to help with living costs. The tuition fee loan is not income assessed, so your parents' income is irrelevant.
Original post by ohdrama
maintenance grants/loans are not available for eu students as far as i know.

all this finance stuff is complex...I was trying to find out what I am entitled to..I had to google for many hours before getting a clear idea of their rules
Hi, I used the student finance calculator, and I've checked many websites to find that I should be eligible for the maintenance grant and the max loan to go with it (£3250 and around £2750 IIRC).

I think something went wrong because I have this currently:

The table below shows the amount(s) of student finance you are requesting, and the maximum amounts you may be entitled to. You have chosen to provide your household income infomation.

Type Amount requested Amount you're entitled to
Maintenance Loan Maximum £2,843.00
Tuition Fee Loan Maximum £9,000.00

Any ideas?
^ Similar problem here. It's done the prediction after I've filled in my household's income, and it's telling me I'll only get an £8000 tuition fee loan, when my course costs £9000. Should I be worried?
Hi, how long does it normally take for Student Finance Wales to tell you how much you'll receive after applying?
Reply 6874
I am applying for finance for my third year starting 2012/13. In previous years my mum has been able to get a support application sent to us on paper, as she's not particularly computer literate. However this year it hasn't given us the option for a paper application, only online.

Anyone know where or how we could still get a paper application for my mum to fill in for our household income?

Thank you :smile:
I've sent my Student Finance application, which has been received, and the screen I get when I log in tells me I need to provide my National Insurance number, but when I go to make changes to my account, it won't let me provide it - the space on the form where the National Insurance number should be tells me I need to provide it, but there's nowhere you can type it in. Any ideas?
Original post by alibee
Only the income of the parent you live with is used for your assessment.

Some "proof" that your parents have seperated will be needed. Clearly as your parents aren't divorced, that kind of paperwork isn't available. Your mum will probably need to visit a solicitor and have them write a letter confirming the separation. However, I have heard of cases where student finance have accepted a council tax statement showing single person's discount as proof of separation.

Hi,

What if the parent who has moved out still pays the bills?

Thanks
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
Yep you have to only put in the details of the parent you live with. I am in the same situation as you. :smile:

Are your parents legally separated?

Or is the parent you're living with still reliant on the other parent's maintenance?

If so, does that affect the amount you receive?
Reply 6878
Original post by tehforum
Hi,

What if the parent who has moved out still pays the bills?

Thanks

It's not important. Many (most?) couples with children who've separated make some kind of contribution to the household in which their children live either informally or formally through CSA.

If your parents are separated and you only live with one of them. Only the income of the parent you live with is counted. Any child support payments are not important.
Reply 6879
When is the deadline for those reapplying? I'm going into my third year and haven't reapplied yet : /

Quick Reply

Latest