The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mel0n
When is the deadline for those reapplying? I'm going into my third year and haven't reapplied yet : /

End of June :smile:
Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI
Hi, I used the student finance calculator, and I've checked many websites to find that I should be eligible for the maintenance grant and the max loan to go with it (£3250 and around £2750 IIRC).

I think something went wrong because I have this currently:

The table below shows the amount(s) of student finance you are requesting, and the maximum amounts you may be entitled to. You have chosen to provide your household income infomation.

Type Amount requested Amount you're entitled to
Maintenance Loan Maximum £2,843.00
Tuition Fee Loan Maximum £9,000.00

Any ideas?

same thing happened to me, well they gave me a bit more but anyway, I called up and the woman who didn't seem to know much told me no mistakes were made, so I got my mum to and they told her they'd taken her income down twice, meaning they doubled what she got, so she's sent off a document and hopefully they change my maintenance loan! so I'd advise you to call them or get a parent to.
Reply 6882
[INDENT]
Original post by thisisaweirdbus
I've sent my Student Finance application, which has been received, and the screen I get when I log in tells me I need to provide my National Insurance number, but when I go to make changes to my account, it won't let me provide it - the space on the form where the National Insurance number should be tells me I need to provide it, but there's nowhere you can type it in. Any ideas?

Hi, when you log on, click on 'Update My Profile' in the menu at the top left hand corner of the screen, it should take you to a screen where the 7th or 8th line down you can fill in your National Insurance Number.
Reply 6883
Hi, Can you update your bank details and where you live details after the deadline for applications closes?

Ta xx
Reply 6884
Original post by Quexx
Hi, Can you update your bank details and where you live details after the deadline for applications closes?

Ta xx

Yes:smile:
Reply 6885
Hi I have completed my application but I am not sure how to link my parent to my account so I could get a grant? I've made her an account, it's on the same email address, could someone help me out?
Reply 6886
Oh, dear! I've already submitted application for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Does anyone know? Can I refuse just a Maintenance Loan right now or is it too late?
Reply 6887
I need help. My bank accounts in a bit of a mess overdraft. Can i still apply? or will i have to clear my debt before applying? I am confused. Thanks.
Original post by moh.alt
I need help. My bank accounts in a bit of a mess overdraft. Can i still apply? or will i have to clear my debt before applying? I am confused. Thanks.

You can still apply.
Reply 6889
Original post by catestevenson
You can still apply.

Thank you!!
I'm a prospective student applying for finance for 2012/13.

I'd like to apply non-income assessed as my parents' income means I'm not eligible for more than the standard 65% of the Maintenance Loan (£3575). However, my online application is now requesting financial details which I don't want to have to submit as I won't get any more money for doing so. The site won't let me go back to the page where you can select the non-income assessed route so I'm stuck.

Should I just phone them?
Reply 6891
Original post by PatrickD
I'm a prospective student applying for finance for 2012/13.

I'd like to apply non-income assessed as my parents' income means I'm not eligible for more than the standard 65% of the Maintenance Loan (£3575). However, my online application is now requesting financial details which I don't want to have to submit as I won't get any more money for doing so. The site won't let me go back to the page where you can select the non-income assessed route so I'm stuck.

Should I just phone them?

Yes, you need to phone them and say that you chose the household income option whereas you wanted the non-household income option, to give you the minimum Maintenance Loan, and tell them you want the application either: reset, or put back to the page where you could choose those two options again. I did this and it can take up to a week or so to update but if you are quick it may only take a few days. =)
0845 300 5090
Reply 6892
Original post by MALvine
Oh, dear! I've already submitted application for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Does anyone know? Can I refuse just a Maintenance Loan right now or is it too late?

If you don't want the Maintenance Loan, you can just give them a call and tell them you don't want a Maintenance Loan. Why don't you want a Maintenance Loan though..? 0845 300 5090
Original post by Quexx
Yes, you need to phone them and say that you chose the household income option whereas you wanted the non-household income option, to give you the minimum Maintenance Loan, and tell them you want the application either: reset, or put back to the page where you could choose those two options again. I did this and it can take up to a week or so to update but if you are quick it may only take a few days. =)
0845 300 5090

Okay thanks, I'll phone them now. Hopefully they reset it soon as the deadline is in a week! At least now I know this is possible as I wasn't sure if my application could be reset. :smile:

EDIT: The customer advisor I spoke with said that, because I have come so far with my application (entering all details except my parents' income), I should just enter '0' in every income box on my online application and then send a covering letter to the SFE office. She was really helpful and I'm glad I can sort the issue out now.

EDIT 2: After I'd entered '0' into every box and gone to the final page before submitting my application, the option, 'You can also apply non-income assessed' appeared! Needless to say I clicked it and submitted my application two minutes later. Thank goodness for that!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm applying for student finance 2012/2013 and I'm going to be studying physiotherapy. I'm a little confused about the NHS Bursary bit. Is it income assessed? I clicked no previously and it then came up that I wasn't entitled to any student loan. Confused :frown:
Reply 6895
Original post by Frankie3010
I'm applying for student finance 2012/2013 and I'm going to be studying physiotherapy. I'm a little confused about the NHS Bursary bit. Is it income assessed? I clicked no previously and it then came up that I wasn't entitled to any student loan. Confused :frown:

For NHS funded courses you can apply for:

Non-income assessed NHS grant
Income assessed NHS bursary
Reduced rate maintenance loan from SF
I'm worrying so i've done student finance and just sent off my evidence but saw it says the deadline it the end of the month...
However is the deadline for when you should apply for or the time when everything is done including them processing your application....?
As i know it can take several weeks for your application to be processed
Don't want to end up going to uni and then having to wait for my loan to actually come through :/
Reply 6897
Original post by PatrickD
Okay thanks, I'll phone them now. Hopefully they reset it soon as the deadline is in a week! At least now I know this is possible as I wasn't sure if my application could be reset. :smile:

EDIT: The customer advisor I spoke with said that, because I have come so far with my application (entering all details except my parents' income), I should just enter '0' in every income box on my online application and then send a covering letter to the SFE office. She was really helpful and I'm glad I can sort the issue out now.

EDIT 2: After I'd entered '0' into every box and gone to the final page before submitting my application, the option, 'You can also apply non-income assessed' appeared! Needless to say I clicked it and submitted my application two minutes later. Thank goodness for that!

Oh that was good! If only I did that when I had the same problem... never got told about it. In the end I phoned them up about 5 times, cos they changed it wrong and then made a mess of it! =P
Original post by Quexx
Oh that was good! If only I did that when I had the same problem... never got told about it. In the end I phoned them up about 5 times, cos they changed it wrong and then made a mess of it! =P

It was a stroke of luck really. I was planning on sending the letter (already had it written :tongue:) but when I entered 0 in each box and clicked next the option just appeared on the next page. I'm just glad it's all sorted now. :smile:
Im going to be studying an NHS funded course, so my loan isnt means-tested, will this affect whether I can get income related bursaries from my uni, I remember reading something about them getting information when you sent it to student finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending