The Student Room Group

WJEC - CH2 (Wednesday, 23rd May) Properties, Structure and Bonding

Scroll to see replies

I didn't see that you had to put 3 isomers for butene lols! so lost 2 marks there! and my gas syringe picture was weird! what does a gas syringe even look like ahahah! :P , so 2 marks there and 1 mark on that barium question! :angry:!!!
But there were a lot of the big questions I didn't mind with the mechanisms etc!
Reply 21
Original post by welshfrankie
I thought it was quite a nice paper! The three straight-chain isomers on butene was confusing. I could only work out two. Surely cyclo-butane doesn't count as a straight-chain isomer?

You had the E and Z isomers of but-2-ene - it took me some time but it was worth it for an easy mark!

I realised I'd made some stupid mistakes as soon as I left - probably need to have a good rest before physics on Friday!
Reply 22
Why are group 7 elements good oxidisers?
Original post by Lost4468

i put down somethin stupid about oxidising stuff gaining electrons... and stuff....

i did really bad i got propogation thing wron, gas syringe awful, that 5 mark question down the drain, handful of 1/2 mark question not answered... plus i writ tetrahedra instead of trigonal planor for the bf3!!! (very stupiddd mistake)
few questions had no idea what it even meant and i writ that the colour for ba was red instead of green!!! (or was that beryliuym)... seee i failed :frown:
and i didnt do the empirical formula for 1 question (ran out of time...)
dont have anyyyy idea how i did for the structure questions...
plus also failed the bonding questions.... (the one which asked for description/ explanation based on was it bf3 and nh3 joined??? & the one asked to label the alcohol with bonds and stuff???)
by the way is diamond strong covalent???

PLus when would we have the 'unoficial' markschme
by the way how many marks was the gas syringe??? and did we have to lael it or just draw it???
cozzz i beiieve i drew it okay with the syringe (Not lookin like a syringe) downwards instead of horizontal...
Reply 25
Original post by imconfused

Yeah diamond is a giant covalent structure (uber strong bonds).

That really was a long paper... Messed up on the Barium question and the third isomer and put trigonal (not the full trigonal planar)... Crap. I really needed a good mark in this one, but chemistry mark schemes puzzle me so much, especially WJEC ones, they never make any sense!
Good luck with results everyone!
Original post by mezlande
Yeah diamond is a giant covalent structure (uber strong bonds).
Good luck with results everyone!

I read that as "Good luck with the resits everyone" - it made me laugh! :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by Lost4468

I said something on the lines of because they only need to gain one electron to. Have a full outer shell
Reply 28
Original post by lisa_jeffers
I didn't see that you had to put 3 isomers for butene lols! so lost 2 marks there! and my gas syringe picture was weird! what does a gas syringe even look like ahahah! :P , so 2 marks there and 1 mark on that barium question! :angry:!!!
But there were a lot of the big questions I didn't mind with the mechanisms etc!

Did u draw the actual mechanism or just awnser the bullet point?
Reply 29
Original post by imconfused
i put down somethin stupid about oxidising stuff gaining electrons... and stuff....

i did really bad i got propogation thing wron, gas syringe awful, that 5 mark question down the drain, handful of 1/2 mark question not answered... plus i writ tetrahedra instead of trigonal planor for the bf3!!! (very stupiddd mistake)
few questions had no idea what it even meant and i writ that the colour for ba was red instead of green!!! (or was that beryliuym)... seee i failed :frown:
and i didnt do the empirical formula for 1 question (ran out of time...)
dont have anyyyy idea how i did for the structure questions...
plus also failed the bonding questions.... (the one which asked for description/ explanation based on was it bf3 and nh3 joined??? & the one asked to label the alcohol with bonds and stuff???)

PLus when would we have the 'unoficial' markschme

What do u mean where do u get the unofficial mark scheme , never heared of it before

Sorry don't know how to quote more than once in one post
I thought it was okay but I suspect that the grade boundaries will be higher this year- the average mark in past years has been 40 so I reckon that's why (to me) the format seemed different/perhaps a little easier.

Kind of annoyed that I spent so long learning reaction mechanisms and didn't have to draw any!
Original post by rsp
Did u draw the actual mechanism or just awnser the bullet point?

No I didn't draw them :biggrin: you only had to answer the bullet points! bit gutted you didn't have to draw them but still they were nice :biggrin:
Also ****ed up on the WHOLE page with barium and calcium! grim :/
Does anyone here have access to an exam paper? If so, would you be able to upload it, or send a scanned copy to me?

I'm a mature, private candidate, so don't have access to the paper through teachers, but I'd like to just check whether my memory of the paper is worse than the paper itself!
Original post by rsp
What do u mean where do u get the unofficial mark scheme , never heared of it before

Sorry don't know how to quote more than once in one post

i mean when like for bio some remember all the questions and come up with mark scheme...
Reply 34
Original post by Snuffleupagus
Does anyone here have access to an exam paper? If so, would you be able to upload it, or send a scanned copy to me?

I'm a mature, private candidate, so don't have access to the paper through teachers, but I'd like to just check whether my memory of the paper is worse than the paper itself!

sorry I have a copy of the english paper so i can awnser any questons but i dont have a scanner.

why are group 7 described as p block elements?
can not believe it just realise i skipped a question accidently (dont ask me how) the one asking which halogen is the strongest oxidising agent and i know the awnser grrrr
Original post by rsp
sorry I have a copy of the english paper so i can awnser any questons but i dont have a scanner.

why are group 7 described as p block elements?

Weirdly, I can't seem to remember much about the paper, so I can't really think of any specific questions to ask! Thank you, though :smile:

I wrote that group 7 elements are p block elements because their outer electrons are in p-orbitals.
Reply 36
Original post by Snuffleupagus
Weirdly, I can't seem to remember much about the paper, so I can't really think of any specific questions to ask! Thank you, though :smile:

I wrote that group 7 elements are p block elements because their outer electrons are in p-orbitals.

Yes! i wrote that too :biggrin: It was a good paper tbh, I messed up ch1 so hopefully if I do well in ch2, my grade would be higher!!
Reply 37
Original post by welshfrankie
I thought it was quite a nice paper! The three straight-chain isomers on butene was confusing. I could only work out two. Surely cyclo-butane doesn't count as a straight-chain isomer?

you thought it was nice!!!?? wow lucky you. I was hopeless on the questions, left about half blank.
:stupido:
One thing i find a bit irritating about the empirical formula questions, they almost never leave enough space there. :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by mezlande
chemistry mark schemes puzzle me so much, especially WJEC ones, they never make any sense!

I agree. I got my paper back after and went through my marks with miss. They actually missed two marks on mine :frown: probably wouldn't have made much difference though.
Original post by shadow223
I agree. I got my paper back after and went through my marks with miss. They actually missed two marks on mine :frown: probably wouldn't have made much difference though.

Still every mark counts.. I have had loads off these situation where I was one UMS of an A or marks even... like Biology, and Physics...

So they better not be lazy this time.

Quick Reply

Latest