The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael XYZ
That's terrible but worse is seeing a guy next to that girl with the very thin legs who has EVEN thinner legs.

I don't even know how such a thing happens.

PRSOM!
I definitely agree with aivi and think that there are far too many girls who want to look like Kim Kardashian even though they simply do not have the structure to look even close to that. Her hip width is like 1 in 1000; no amounts of training and dieting will get your average white girl a body anything like that, and to be honest I'm not interested in that look at all either.

It's also genuinely tragic when you see guys with skinnier legs than girls...
Original post by Smack
I definitely agree with aivi and think that there are far too many girls who want to look like Kim Kardashian even though they simply do not have the structure to look even close to that. Her hip width is like 1 in 1000; no amounts of training and dieting will get your average white girl a body anything like that, and to be honest I'm not interested in that look at all either.

The media is to blame. It seems like the new trend is the 'curvy' body trend. Give it a few years and it would be something else women would want to look like
I dont get why people are so obsessed with trying to look how the media thinks women should look. For a start they cant make their mind up, first its super skinny, then its curvy, then its 'real woman' (which tries to convince you that youre not a real woman unless youre overweight). People need to learn to not care what other people think and treat your body how you want to treat it.

I know its more complicated than that due to psychological issues, but if you take every comment about your body to heart you'll never be 'perfect'
Reply 3944
Started watching The Walking Dead while eating roast, not my best idea ever lol.
But goddamn I'm a good cook :cool:
Also I usually laugh at horror movies, but holy **** this is pretty creepy.

Is everyone else already finished with exams/on holiday? I've got my last one tomorrow, then at least a few months respite before possible resits, woohoo.
(edited 11 years ago)
any good women's only weightlifting gyms in london?
Original post by Smack

you can get a similar body shape with targeted weight training
i know of some one who was super thin but now has a really curvy body

its possible.
Reply 3947
Original post by *Thedreaming*
you can get a similar body shape with targeted weight training
i know of some one who was super thin but now has a really curvy body

its possible.

Um, not really. Yes, you can add some muscle (so get your thighs, ass or trunk bigger) or lose fat, but you can't change things like the shape and size of your rib cage or hips. And for example even if you lift, you can only really target your legs, not your hips, since there really isn't any muscle there, and you can't add/reduce fats to certain spots, the overall distribution seems to be largely hereditary (though stuff like tendency to store fat around the internal organs is linked to insulin resistance and cronically elevated cortisol levels).
Reply 3948

There's a distinctive lack of general weightlifting gyms in London, let alone women's only ones. Don't actually think there are any.
Reply 3949
Wish I had £175 to spend on tickets for the men's 105kg... all the cheaper tickets have already been sold, no surprise there. Klokov, Akkayev, Aramnau... *sigh*
any gyms that are good for weightlifting in general

london area
Reply 3951
Only 5kg away :excited:

Queen Mary University's gym QMotion in Mile End has a ladies only gym. or do you mean like a proper weightlifting gym, as in snatches and clean and jerks?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3953
Original post by rlw31
Only 5kg away :excited:

from 100kg? jellyyy
Reply 3954
Original post by aivi
from 100kg? jellyyy

Yeah, I'll upload a video later. These were hard, I had to belt up to remember how to breath properly, lol
Original post by aivi

Is everyone else already finished with exams/on holiday? I've got my last one tomorrow, then at least a few months respite before possible resits, woohoo.

Must be a relief! Mine havent even started yet (A levels), officially finished college today, leavers ball tomorrow then first exam on the 11th! Dont think Im ready to grow up and go to uni.
Original post by aivi
Klokov, Akkayev, Aramnau... *sigh*

It's gonna be the battle of the century! I would punch my own mother in the mouth for tickets loool
that and 53kg womens, Julia Rohde<3
Reply 3957
Original post by HFerguson
It's gonna be the battle of the century! I would punch my own mother in the mouth for tickets loool
that and 53kg womens, Julia Rohde<3

:lolwut: LOL, if I weren't so damn poor I'd apply for tickets :moon:
Original post by HFerguson
Queen Mary University's gym QMotion in Mile End has a ladies only gym. or do you mean like a proper weightlifting gym, as in snatches and clean and jerks?

i'm a proper beginner...what do does terms mean lol
a gym with basic weight stuff will be ok.
Aramnau should own the others if he is on top form.

Quick Reply

Latest