The Student Room Group

STEP 1994 Question

So I've been struggling on this q for a while...not because I don't know how to do it, but because I can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong!

It's q 4ii) on 1994 STEP I (attached below)

stepq.jpg

I'm using the complete-the-square method but this way I don't have a square root above the denominator of 1/(1-k^2)

Am I just not using the method correctly?

:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 1
Original post by shanban
So I've been struggling on this q for a while...not because I don't know how to do it, but because I can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong!

stepq.jpg

I'm using the complete-the-square method but this way I don't have a square root above the denominator of 1/(1-k^2)

You need to use the sub cosalpha =k to get rid of the sinalpha at the top.

Eidt: forget what I said was talking nonsense.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blutooth
You need to use the sub cosalpha =k to get rid of the sinalpha at the top.

Eidt: forget what I said was talking nonsense.

I was just wondering why it wouldn't work without a trig sub...but thanks anyway! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by shanban

stepq.jpg

Are we on about the first part of ii)?

We complete the square to get 1(xk)2+(1k2) dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{(x-k)^2 + (1-k^2)}\ dx are u alrite with this or is it something else?
Reply 4
Original post by M1K3
Are we on about the first part of ii)?

We complete the square to get 1(xk)2+(1k2) dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{(x-k)^2 + (1-k^2)}\ dx are u alrite with this or is it something else?

Yeah I got that, and then I tried to make it into an integral which would then give something along the lines of arctan...but the constant I took out of the integral didn't have a square root where it should :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by shanban
Yeah I got that, and then I tried to make it into an integral which would then give something along the lines of arctan...but the constant I took out of the integral didn't have a square root where it should :frown:

Have you tried a half tan substitution? I think that is what the question is looking for.

EDIT: in fact if you have 1(xk)2+(1k2)2dx\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{(x-k)^2 + (\sqrt{1-k^2})^2} dx then can you see what to do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TheJ0ker
Have you tried a half tan substitution? I think that is what the question is looking for.

EDIT: in fact if you have 1(xk)2+(1k2)2dx\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{(x-k)^2 + (\sqrt{1-k^2})^2} dx then can you see what to do?

This is what I've done:

11k21(xk1k2)2+1dx[br][br]=11k2arctanxk1k2+C[br]\dfrac{1}{1-k^2} \int \frac{1}{(\frac{x-k}{\sqrt {1-k^2}})^2 + 1} dx [br][br]= \dfrac{1}{1-k^2} arctan \dfrac{x-k}{\sqrt{1-k^2}} + C[br]

I don't understand why you'd put the sqrt in?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by shanban
This is what I've done:

11k21(xk1k2)2+1dx[br][br]=11k2arctanxk1k2+C[br]\dfrac{1}{1-k^2} \int \frac{1}{(\frac{x-k}{\sqrt {1-k^2}})^2 + 1} dx [br][br]= \dfrac{1}{1-k^2} arctan \dfrac{x-k}{\sqrt{1-k^2}} + C[br]

Woah why are you taking stuff out of the integral? Do you know what the standard result is? It's on the formula book FP3 part.
Reply 8
Original post by shanban
This is what I've done:

As theJoker said, this is a standard integral.

But your way is fine, the reason why your method has not worked is because i think you mite have done the integration slightly wrong, well, just differentiate your answer and i think you'll understand.

Remember, you need to divide by the differential of xk1k2\dfrac{x-k}{\sqrt{1-k^2}} , yeah, chain rule backwards.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by M1K3
As theJoker said, this is a standard integral.

But your way is fine, the reason why your method has not worked is because i think you mite have done the integration slightly wrong, well, just differentiate your answer and i think you'll understand.

Remember, you need to divide by the differential of xk1k2\dfrac{x-k}{\sqrt{1-k^2}} , yeah, chain rule backwards.

oh! I just realised I took the differential of xk1k2\dfrac{x-k}{\sqrt{1-k^2}} to be 1 when it obviously isn't! I'll try again and see if I can get it now...

thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by shanban
oh! I just realised I took the differential of xk1k2\dfrac{x-k}{\sqrt{1-k^2}} to be 1 when it obviously isn't! I'll try again and see if I can get it now...

thanks for your help! :smile:

np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest