The Student Room Group

Biology Degree Advice

I am just about to start a biology degree at Open University..... Whenever I look into science as a whole it's always Chemistry and Physics that are "respected" nothing is ever really said about biology. Is it a good degree? Is it as difficult as the other two?

I hope to complete my ambition to become a teacher so not looking into research or anything like that.

Thanks for the help/advise
Reply 1
Original post by kjglen24
I am just about to start a biology degree at Open University..... Whenever I look into science as a whole it's always Chemistry and Physics that are "respected" nothing is ever really said about biology. Is it a good degree? Is it as difficult as the other two?

I hope to complete my ambition to become a teacher so not looking into research or anything like that.

Thanks for the help/advise

Hi, i did an honours degree in Biology. Amazing subject. As for being respected you will find that it is. It is an excellent Life Science subject and considered important by the top universities. They often ask for A level Biology and Chemistry to do medicine for instance. It is a very diverse field, some areas more challenging than others. You will no doubt cover all of them during your degree course, Marine, plant/animal phys, cell biology, mycology, enzymology etc. I did plant physiology for my honours year with a thesis on effects of calcium, potassium levels on stomatal aperture. The research areas are endless but if you are thinking of teaching its a great subject! You will love it once you start, like anything there will be some things which grip you and others you will find less stimulating. It is heavy on the information side and as for being easier than chemistry and physics it probably is in terms of maths requirements but thats about it! I think what matters most is to have a love of the subject. Good luck with your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by dbray
Hi, i did an honours degree in Biology. Amazing subject. As for being respected you will find that it is. It is an excellent Life Science subject and considered important by the top universities. They often ask for A level Biology and Chemistry to do medicine for instance. It is a very diverse field, some areas more challenging than others. You will no doubt cover all of them during your degree course, Marine, plant/animal phys, cell biology, mycology, enzymology etc. I did plant physiology for my honours year with a thesis on effects of calcium, potassium levels on stomatal aperture. The research areas are endless but if you are thinking of teaching its a great subject! You will love it once you start, like anything there will be some things which grip you and others you will find less stimulating. It is heavy on the information side and as for being easier than chemistry and physics it probably is in terms of maths requirements but thats about it! I think what matters most is to have a love of the subject. Good luck with your degree.

Thank you so much, extremely helpful
Reply 3
It was a pleasure.
Biology is great to do if you enjoy it. It is a good degree

Being difficult as the other two comes are face value really. All 3 are as hard as each other, someone doing physics would find parts of biology and so on.
Reply 5
If you chose biology it is the area you will probably do best in. and be good at which will earn you your respect. wish you the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending