The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Message
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! Would you mind telling me about Cambridge's resit policy? Do they mind if you retake a few modules?

Thanks again

I think resits are allowed so long as they are done within the 2 year period. This is, once again, based on experiences of my fellow friends who have gotten into Cambridge, but re-sat their modular exams in the process. Again, however, I'd recommend phoning or asking the admissions office since policies vary between individual colleges and courses.
Reply 9801
Hey,

I got 4 As, but I have no idea how to figure out the sheet! It doesn't say what value the marks are out of, e.g. 96/??? Hoping to do Natural Sciences, but I don't mind if these aren't good enough for Cambridge.

But I'll put down my stuff anyway, but I can't give any percentages unless somebody helps me out xD

Physics -
Unit 1, Mark: 96 a
Unit 2, Mark: 110 a
Unit 3T (ISA/Coursework): 38 ... which is a C, because I c*cked it up.

Maths -
Core 1 - 93 a
Core 2 - 75 b
Stats - 94 a

Chemistry -
F331 - 65 b
F332 - 127 a
F333 (Coursework) - 54 a

Biology -
Unit 1 - 86 a
Unit 2 - 110 b (I don't understand this one, it seems too high to be a B)
Unit 3X - 48 a

So that's it. Could somebody explain what these mean (these values are the under the mark column, I'm guessing they are UMS, but I don't know the %s)
(edited 11 years ago)
Maths + Further Maths:
Maths AS (93%):
C1 = 100/100
C2 = 86/100
D1 = 93/100
C3 = 100/100
C4 = 97/100
M1 = 74/100
M2 = 93/100

Biology AS (99%)
Unit 1 = 120/120
Unit 2 = 120/120
Unit 3 = 58/60

Physics AS (96.7%)
Unit 1 = 120/120
Unit 2 = 120/120
Unit 3 = 50/60

Chemistry AS (97%)
Unit 1 = 88/90
Unit 2 = 147/150
Unit 3 = 56/60

French AS - I got a B but I think I got around 75%
General Studies - I got a D and 54 %
Is french and GS going to ruin my chances?
I want to do chem
Reply 9803
Original post by chignesh10
Maths + Further Maths:
Maths AS (93%):
C1 = 100/100
C2 = 86/100
D1 = 93/100
C3 = 100/100
C4 = 97/100
M1 = 74/100
M2 = 93/100

Biology AS (99%)
Unit 1 = 120/120
Unit 2 = 120/120
Unit 3 = 58/60

Physics AS (96.7%)
Unit 1 = 120/120
Unit 2 = 120/120
Unit 3 = 50/60

Chemistry AS (97%)
Unit 1 = 88/90
Unit 2 = 147/150
Unit 3 = 56/60

French AS - I got a B but I think I got around 75%
General Studies - I got a D and 54 %
Is french and GS going to ruin my chances?
I want to do chem

Looks fine (great, even!). As 5th and 6th ASs I think they'll basically ignore French and GS (French is unrelated to Chemistry and GS is generally just ignored).

Just checking, you know you can't do straight chemistry at Cam? It's either Biological or Physical Natural Sciences, both of which allow you to choose chemistry-related options.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Melz0r
Looks fine (great, even!). As 5th and 6th ASs I think they'll basically ignore French and GS (French is unrelated to Chemistry and GS is generally just ignored).

Just checking, you know you can't do straight chemistry at Cam? It's either Biological or Physical Natural Sciences, both of which allow you to choose chemistry-related options.

Oops sorry, yeah I meant natural sciences.
Thanks a lot! I just want to make sure Cambridge is realistic
Reply 9805
Oops sorry, yeah I meant natural sciences.
Thanks a lot! I just want to make sure Cambridge is realistic

Yeah I thought you'd know, just checking you didn't have your heart set on straight chemistry :smile:

Yes, definitely realistic!
Original post by Melz0r
Yeah I thought you'd know, just checking you didn't have your heart set on straight chemistry :smile:

Yes, definitely realistic!

Do you do natural sciences?
Oh dear... I got 89% UMS in German, 83% in French and only 69% in RS, bye bye Cam... :frown: I was 2 UMS points off a B in RS! Going to re-sit. Oh well, I always knew it was a long shot. At least there are loads of other good unis out there, and I could always do a second undergrad degree there!!
My dad was really ill in the first term of Year 12, school knew he was but I don't think they've put it in a reference, also we're getting a new head of sixth form next year... Should I tell them, bearing in mind they'd already heard about it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9808
Do you do natural sciences?

Nope, I do languages, but there are some NatScis about on here if you've got questions... try posting in their thread?
Does anyone have the mark scheme for the chemistry edexcel unit 2 paper please!!!
Reply 9810
Original post by anna-chipie 95
Oh dear... I got 89% UMS in German, 82% in French and only 69% in RS, bye bye Cam... :frown: I was 2 UMS points off a B in RS! Going to re-sit. Oh well, I always knew it was a long shot. At least there are loads of other good unis out there, and I could always do a second undergrad degree there!!
My dad was really ill in the first term of Year 12, school knew he was but I don't think they've put it in a reference, also we're getting a new head of sixth form next year... Should I tell them, bearing in mind they'd already heard about it?

Have you thought about applying through what used to be called the Cambridge Special Access Scheme?

I assume the French and German are both As, right? (I've lost track of the grade boundaries a bit these days in my old age). I think that with extenuating circumstances it might still be worth applying. Have a think about it. As long as you've got 4 other realistic choices you've not really lost anything.
Reply 9811
Ok, I've figured out the percentages, and I have a feeling they're not good enough for Cambridge Natural Sciences:

Physics: 81%
Biology: 81%
Chemistry: 82%
Maths: 87%

:frown:

Any comments on whether I have a chance or not? I'd rather people be honest :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9812
Original post by George_
Ok, I've figured out the percentages, and I have a feeling they're not good enough for Cambridge Natural Sciences:

Physics: 81%
Biology: 81%
Chemistry: 82%
Maths: 87%

:frown:

Apply anyway, as long as you think you can get at least one A*? They're all As and you've not lost anything by applying. The 90%+ in every subject thing is a bit of a myth.
Yeah, the French and German are both As.
By the way, I also did Biology, but seeing as it's not relevant to MML and it wasnt my best I presume this doesn't matter very much?
Oh and thanks :smile:
Reply 9814
Original post by Melz0r
Apply anyway, as long as you think you can get at least one A*? They're all As and you've not lost anything by applying. The 90%+ in every subject thing is a bit of a myth.

Hmm, ok. Thanks :smile: I heard it might have been a myth, but I wasn't sure. I'm pretty confident I can get at least one A*. Thanks.
Reply 9815
Original post by anna-chipie 95
Yeah, the French and German are both As.
By the way, I also did Biology, but seeing as it's not relevant to MML and it wasnt my best I presume this doesn't matter very much?
Oh and thanks :smile:

It's still an A-level, so it'll still be worth something - it's difficult to say exactly how much weight they'd give it.

My advice now would be to give yourself some time to chill out after the stress of today, and then get in contact with someone from your school who best understands your family situation and talk to them about filling in the extenuating circumstances form (since this is usually filled in by a teacher).

:jumphug:
Reply 9816
Original post by George_
Hmm, ok. Thanks :smile: I heard it might have been a myth, but I wasn't sure. I'm pretty confident I can get at least one A*. Thanks.

It's true that lots of successful applicants do have around 90%, but many have less and it's by no means a requirement, so if you're confident of that A* then I'd go for it.
I got BCC, is that good enough?
Reply 9818
Original post by Melz0r
It's true that lots of successful applicants do have around 90%, but many have less and it's by no means a requirement, so if you're confident of that A* then I'd go for it.

Reply 9819
Just got my AS results:

English- A - 95.5%
History- A - 95.5%
RE- A - 89%

Psychology- B - 75.5%

As is pretty obvious, I'll be dropping psychology, but will that low score affect my changes of a place? Will I still have to declare it? If it makes a difference I'm looking to read English Lit.

Latest

Trending

Trending