The Student Room Group

GCSE Grade Boundaries 2012

Results day is almost upon us - good luck to all of you getting GCSE results! Before we get to results day itself however, most of the exams boards will release the grade boundaries for the May/June 2012 exams. We expect the results to be posted online at around midnight or in the early hours of Wednesday 22nd August, and as soon as they're available they'll get posted here for you all. The links below will turn orange once the boundaries have been released.

Grade Boundaries

AQA

CCEA

OCR (scroll down to find the GCSE boundaries)

WJEC

UMS Conversion

What are UMS marks?
UMS (Uniform Mark Scale) is the way in which exam boards standardise the marking of exam papers. Once the raw marks have been converted into UMS marks (eg. a paper which scored 35/40 may be converted to 98/100), grade boundaries are set at 10% intervals in the following manner:

A* - 90%

A - 80%

B - 70%

C - 60%

D - 50%

E - 40%

F - 30%

G - 20%

U - <20%

AQA explain the details of UMS marks here.

Why are grade boundaries important to me?
Because different modular exams may vary in difficulty from year to year, grade boundaries need to be adjusted to ensure that the result a candidate receives is a fair reflection of their performance in the exam based on its difficulty. For example, in 2010 you may only have needed 30/40 for an A in one of your exams because many people found it difficult and so received lower marks. However, in 2011 the same exam may have been found easier in general, and so the boundaries may be increased to 34/40 for an A to avoid abnormally high proportions of students from receiving high grades.

I've received my results, and I was very close to the next grade boundary!
If this is the case, you may wish to send your paper off to be remarked. See the retakes and remarks thread for more information on this process.

NOTICE:
Please don't ask about grade boundaries other than those released once this thread has been open; as stated above, once the boundaries for other exam boards have been released their links will turn orange and discussion will be allowed. Any posts not adhering to these rules will be removed.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
85% for Computing A* :frown:
Reply 2
Wow, Business studies boundaries are lower than expected :smile:!

but yeah we're all going to feel like :woo:
(edited 11 years ago)
Sciences are so low! :woo:
Original post by Secret.
Wow, Business studies boundaries are lower than expected :smile:!

but yeah like the previous poster said we're all going to feel like :woo: :smile:

yeah still not confident about the A* though,good luck!
Reply 5
yeyyyy with history!!!!!!!!
Reply 6
Chemistry C7 29/55 YES! That's basically announced all I needed in terms of science worries, good luck to everyone!!
Reply 7
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Sciences are so low! :woo:

i nearly screamed when it said 29/55 for C7 chemistry OCR is an A*!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
RS and business as expected
Reply 9
Original post by momo26396
yeyyyy with history!!!!!!!!

Are you mental?!
Original post by acer0951
i nearly screamed when it said 27/55 for C7 chemistry OCR is an A*!

Wow! :redface: I know! I'm gateway though!
Aren't these the A level boundaries? When I click on the link it says GCE...
Reply 12
Where can I find the boundaries for the OCR ICT National Certificate?
Reply 13
157/200 for maths A* ..... chilling :biggrin:
Original post by TheBigGeek
Aren't these the A level boundaries? When I click on the link it says GCE...

Keep going down :smile:
Original post by Pandora.
Results day is almost upon us - good luck to all of you getting GCSE results! Before we get to results day itself however, most of the exams boards will release the grade boundaries for the May/June 2012 exams. We expect the results to be posted online at around midnight or in the early hours of Wednesday 22nd August, and as soon as they're available they'll get posted here for you all. The links below will turn orange once the boundaries have been released.

Grade Boundaries

AQA

CCEA

OCR

WJEC

UMS Conversion

AQA

WJEC

What are UMS marks?
UMS (Uniform Mark Scale) is the way in which exam boards standardise the marking of exam papers. Once the raw marks have been converted into UMS marks (eg. a paper which scored 35/40 may be converted to 98/100), grade boundaries are set at 10% intervals in the following manner:

A* - 90%

A - 80%

B - 70%

C - 60%

D - 50%

E - 40%

F - 30%

G - 20%

U - <20%

AQA explain the details of UMS marks here.

Why are grade boundaries important to me?
Because different modular exams may vary in difficulty from year to year, grade boundaries need to be adjusted to ensure that the result a candidate receives is a fair reflection of their performance in the exam based on its difficulty. For example, in 2010 you may only have needed 30/40 for an A in one of your exams because many people found it difficult and so received lower marks. However, in 2011 the same exam may have been found easier in general, and so the boundaries may be increased to 34/40 for an A to avoid abnormally high proportions of students from receiving high grades.

I've received my results, and I was very close to the next grade boundary!
If this is the case, you may wish to send your paper off to be remarked. See the retakes and remarks thread for more information on this process.

NOTICE:
Please don't ask about grade boundaries other than those released once this thread has been open; as stated above, once the boundaries for other exam boards have been released their links will turn orange and discussion will be allowed. Any posts not adhering to these rules will be removed.

Why do the OCR ones say GCE - surely that's referring to A level?!?
Did anyone else do Latin? I thought the Lit grade boundaries were relatively low.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by carpe diem 123
Why do the OCR ones say GCE - surely that's referring to A level?!?

Scroll down my friend
Original post by must try harder.
Did anyone else do Latin? I thought the Lit grade boundaries were relatively low.
Also, can anyone tell me where I can find the IGCSE grade boundaries on the edexcel website?
And are AQA not realeasing tonight?? :s-smilie:

Really don't like the Latin grade boundaries :angry:
Reply 19
GCE results come first, but if you scroll down you can see the GCSE ones! I'm so chuffed with science, chemistry grade boundaries for an A* are sooo good

Quick Reply

Latest