The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Step 1. Sell dumbells
Step 2. Join Gym
Step 3. Lift evenly, theres no point just trying to build 1 part of your body.
Reply 2
join a damn gym and do research, plenty on google and i hate the word "tone"
Reply 3
mipegg
Step 1. Sell dumbells
Step 2. Join Gym
Step 3. Lift evenly, theres no point just trying to build 1 part of your body.

I don't want to join a gym, now answer the question in the title! :mad2:
Reply 4
akashic
I don't want to join a gym, now answer the question in the title! :mad2:

So you dont want to do anything effective then? Simple as this, you will not get strong or big etc etc etc at home unless you have the same equipment as a gym.
Reply 5
mipegg
So you dont want to do anything effective then? Simple as this, you will not get strong or big etc etc etc at home unless you have the same equipment as a gym.

You talk utter ****
Reply 6
How heavy is the dumb bells you are using?

Anyway, this should prove useful.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

Dumb bells are great for toning and strengthening - just keep up on the routine and do a variety of exercises - don't just focus on arm and chest exercises, do dumb-bell squats and the rest of it all for a proper workout.
Reply 7
akashic
You talk utter ****

I do? Says the idiot who doesnt know any chest exercises....

Its tried, tested and been used for donkeys years. You need a barbell, squat rack, bench+hooks, decent set of weights and someone who knows what the hell their doing.
Reply 8
ma2k5
How heavy is the dumb bells you are using?

Anyway, this should prove useful.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

Dumb bells are great for toning and strengthening - just keep up on the routine and do a variety of exercises - don't just focus on arm and chest exercises, do dumb-bell squats and the rest of it all for a proper workout.

finally someone who gives some useful information rather than tries to act like a **** telling me to go to the gym when I specifically didn't mention the word "gym" anywhere.
Reply 9

Good luck!!

:woo:
Reply 10
mipegg
I do? Says the idiot who doesnt know any chest exercises....

Its tried, tested and been used for donkeys years. You need a barbell, squat rack, bench+hooks, decent set of weights and someone who knows what the hell their doing.

I am a gym user myself who uses bench/squat racks - but I know for a fact it is not necessary to get stronger/fitter. I doubt the OP is looking to become HUGE, dumb bells are not rubbish - they give range of motions and have other advantages over to barbells themselves.
Reply 11
Fine, whatever. Another 60 kilo 14 year old weed here.
Reply 12
ma2k5
I am a gym user myself who uses bench/squat racks - but I know for a fact it is not necessary to get stronger/fitter. I doubt the OP is looking to become HUGE, dumb bells are not rubbish - they give range of motions and have other advantages over to barbells themselves.

But not for a noob, like he clearly is. For a noob lifter you need to be doing the 4 big compound lifts, everything else is pointless until you have a decent base to work off. Its easier to teach technique with a barbell too, most people bench incorrectly with DBs for example and trying to squat + deadlift with them is just stupid.
you can lift evenly WITH the dumbell aswell
Reply 14
equinox3o0o
you can lift evenly WITH the dumbell aswell

Most likely not, unless he has DBs which go up to 40-50 kilos each then how is he going to be able to deadlift or squat? At any rate the biggest DB Iv ever seen was 45 kilo, thats not even enough for me to squat with and Im by no means extremely strong or well trained
Reply 15
set of dumbbells - £20
gym membership for a year - £400 and i'm being reasonable here i'd say

not everybody can afford a gym membership. Whilst i'm not "ripped" (nor do i expect to get ripped using only dumbells) i've managed to increase my chest and arm size and strength using just diet, dumbbells and a bench when i can (my brother has one but i can't use it regularly).
Don't give me any of this you can only get strong using a gym pish, people got by fine without them for years
Reply 16
400 quid? Where the hell do you go? If you go to a healthclub then maybe, but a gym shouldnt cost you 30-40 quid/month

Try 240 quid. Show me an example of anyone who is 'strong' without the use of a gym or home gym (by this I mean properly equipped home gym)

Also, a 20 quid set of DBs shouldnt keep ANYONE going for much more than 2 weeks
Reply 17
Dont you have a back? Shoulders? Triceps (taking a wild punt...)? Legs?
Reply 18
i don't think there's a single gym near me (with the exception of the university of course) which is less than 30/40 a month.
Although of course i wouldn't join a gym which doesn't at least have a swimming pool, but i can't think of any nearby which don't have a pool anyway.
Err, you're right that a 20 quid set of dumbbells won't keep you going for long, but another 20 kilos for about £20 (so 40 overall) will get you a set of dumbells around 20kg each, which with correct exercises will get anyone to an above average size (i know very few people that can curl more than 20kg per arm for example, let along do a tricep extension or a "dumbell fly"). Maybe 1 in 10 at a push when you consider most people don't go to the gym).
Anyway i know a few people that are pretty strong without the use of a gym, but of course there's no point naming them as you won't have a clue who i'm talking about.
Reply 19
But its not actual strength is it? Its poser strength. Building your arms and chest is ok but what about core lifts? Your legs+core is going to be completely neglected I bet

Latest