The Student Room Group

Does Harvard Referencing use footnotes? +rep

Do they? I'm reading several online guides and finding them confusing and conflicting! So what I'm asking is:

1) Should I keep the footnotes or am I supposed to do in-text citations?
2) With the bibliography do I have to do Surname, First name, title (italics), Place of publishing, publisher, year....
3)What do I do with information that I've sourced from Wikipedia? Can I just leave the web address there?
Reply 1
Use this link for an easy way to Harvard Reference: http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator/index.htm

You can use a brief description in your footnotes and then use the entire Harvard reference in your bibliography, but remember that in a Word document, when checking your word count, the number that appears in brackets next to the quote constitutes for the word count in your footnotes, which you may be able to leave out in the final count... If that makes sense?

And you'd probably put the Wikipedia link as a reference... not 100% on that one.

Hope this helps in some way though! :biggrin:
Reply 2
I suggest you buy this book, it's written by my lecturer :biggrin: he's a leading researcher in organisational psychology but this book is brilliant for all essay writing and has chapters devoted to the Harvard referencing style.

Anyway to answer your questions;
1) Do in-text citations with the author(s) name(s) and the publish year of the book or journal you got it from and add a reference list at the end of your essay to show all the details for every reference you have used, listed in alphabetical order.
2) You should have: "Surname, Initials (year of publication), Book/Article Title 'Title of journal article found' Book edition/Journal number, Location published: Publishers" in the reference list for each reference.
3) I don't know because I have to use scientific journals or texts only, but it is in that book if you want to buy it.

Hope I helped!
Reply 3
metro2610
Use this link for an easy way to Harvard Reference: http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator/index.htm

You can use a brief description in your footnotes and then use the entire Harvard reference in your bibliography, but remember that in a Word document, when checking your word count, the number that appears in brackets next to the quote constitutes for the word count in your footnotes, which you may be able to leave out in the final count... If that makes sense?

And you'd probably put the Wikipedia link as a reference... not 100% on that one.

Hope this helps in some way though! :biggrin:

Ok but are footnotes actually allowed with just the name of the author and the page number? Or is it better to leave them out and just have the author and page number written in brackets?
Reply 4
I'd put the autor, book and page number as a footnote reference. Then you can do the entire thing in your bibliography.

That's the way I did it this year.
Reply 5
Broderss
I suggest you buy this book, it's written by my lecturer :biggrin: he's a leading researcher in organisational psychology but this book is brilliant for all essay writing and has chapters devoted to the Harvard referencing style.

Anyway to answer your questions;
1) Do in-text citations with the author(s) name(s) and the publish year of the book or journal you got it from and add a reference list at the end of your essay to show all the details for every reference you have used, listed in alphabetical order.
2) You should have: "Surname, Initials (year of publication), Book/Article Title 'Title of journal article found' Book edition/Journal number, Location published: Publishers" in the reference list for each reference.
3) I don't know because I have to use scientific journals or texts only, but it is in that book if you want to buy it.

Hope I helped!

Thanks very helpful. Just wondering about number 1. By in-text citations do you mean brackets (Smith 1989) as opposed to footnotes?
Reply 6
La Esmerelda
Thanks very helpful. Just wondering about number 1. By in-text citations do you mean brackets (Smith 1989) as opposed to footnotes?

Yes, so;

"According to Smith (1989)..."

OR

"This impacted on ... (Smith, 1989)."

Then in the reference list;

Smith, R. H. (1989), Motivating Employees in Large Organisations, 3rd ed. New York: Oxford Publishers
Reply 7
LOL wasn't this topic in an LNAT practise book?!

Latest

Trending

Trending