The Student Room Group

Mazda Rx8 Fuel consumption

Hello people, I am looking forward to buying a Mazda Rx8 but it's like everyone is complaining about the fuel consumption. I am using a Hyundai Accent 1.5 Mvi at the moment and I have no problems with the fuel consumption at all. If the fuel consumption is too high, I might have to struggle; although I can afford it, but I'll rather not buy it at all than buy it and dislike it.
Many thanks to you all.

Scroll to see replies

The Rx8 has an entirely different engine which consumes a lot of fuel. I wouldn't get one tbh unless you have quite a lot of money or just want it as a weekend cruise car.
Reply 2
Even though the displacement of the RX8 is about 1.3L, as whitepearlbaby says it's very different from most car engines and either version kick out in the region of 200hp. Mazda's figures for the higher power engine give fuel economy in the region of 18-32mpg, and you're probably better off working off the lower end of that scale. It's not going to be a particularly cheap car to run in terms of fuel, and I think the engine can be a bit temperamental too - I have a feeling the rotor tips are prone to wear.
Ben.

RX7's suffered crappy rotor tips and crazy oil consumption.

RX8's aren't as bad..........Around 1l of oil to 1000 miles I think?
Reply 4
Rx8's use alot of fuel figure around 22mpg, however it is an amazingly fun car to drive. I think you're going to have to make a trade somewhere for fuel economy and fun...
Reply 5
The rotary engine means that you get loads of power from relatively a little engine, but all the power is at the top end so if you want to go anywhere quickly then you'll have to thrash it which will kill the fuel consumption. IIRC you have to check the oil at every other fuel stop too.

Looks awesome though.
Reply 6
J@tko
The rotary engine means that you get loads of power from relatively a little engine, but all the power is at the top end so if you want to go anywhere quickly then you'll have to thrash it which will kill the fuel consumption. IIRC you have to check the oil at every other fuel stop too.

Looks awesome though.

Most people check the oil that often anyways... I do at least just to see if anything odd is going on. Check the tires before I leave as well. Guess it's a motorcycle thing where you make sure everything works before leaving :o: :o:
Reply 7
What you're spending on fuel now... double it and that's if you're driving it like an old person... add a splash more if you're going to drive the car like it's intended.
you have to rev the boobs off them - you'll have great fun but expect to be skint. :smile: to buy though, they're not too pricey !
Reply 9
Average MPG on a decent RX8 is around 25 MPG. Why not go for an Audi TT?
Reply 10
My friend has an RX8 and it is a great sounding car, particularly when you rev it hard. He checks and usually tops up the oil every time he fills up with petrol.

It does have to sit and warm up alot longer than a normal IC engine though, although that just means you have to drive it harder if you are in a hurry!
Reply 11
Yea, you want to bring it to redline at least a few times a day to get the gunk off the apex seals, or else it might not be as reliable as you want..
whitepearlbaby
The Rx8 has an entirely different engine which consumes a lot of fuel. I wouldn't get one tbh unless you have quite a lot of money or just want it as a weekend cruise car.

:ditto:
Reply 13
CurlyBen
Even though the displacement of the RX8 is about 1.3L

Well, a debate to be had on this one....2.6litres after it's done a full cycle. But in any case, the MPG is truly awful because it uses 1.3 litres at the start.

I can't be bothered to look at the BHP and torque curve against the rotation of the engine. But it's probably a good reason as to the poor MPG.

And I'd be more worried about the oil consumption, as you screw that up and the high revving engine will quickly dissipate its big-end.

I'd also be worried about the insurance as the car is tail happy, high IG and now so cheap to buy that it's falling in the hands of the archetypal boy racers thus increasing the cars premium.

As for everything else......get one, as they're great value for money, good interior and high revving happiness. But try for 04+ IIRC.
Reply 14
Steeps
What you're spending on fuel now... double it and that's if you're driving it like an old person... add a splash more if you're going to drive the car like it's intended.

Is that certain or just an assumption? I understand there will be increased fuel consumption compared to the car I have now (which does take a bit of fuel due to modifications) and I do not mind if it's not too much but if it's truly like what you have said above, I might have to pass! I only like the look of the car, the comfort, interior etc.

@Né Stig: Are you saying the car is a 1.3 but would consume fuel like a 2.6 after it's done a full cycle?

@M1F2R3: Auidi TT is a nice car, but I think it's a bit too common and it has less room in the back & boot. The interior comfort is not as good too!
Reply 15
royalguy4luv
Is that certain or just an assumption? I understand there will be increased fuel consumption compared to the car I have now (which does take a bit of fuel due to modifications) and I do not mind if it's not too much but if it's truly like what you have said above, I might have to pass! I only like the look of the car, the comfort, interior etc.

@Né Stig: Are you saying the car is a 1.3 but would consume fuel like a 2.6 after it's done a full cycle?

@M1F2R3: Auidi TT is a nice car, but I think it's a bit too common and it has less room in the back & boot. The interior comfort is not as good too!

The car is marketed as a 1.3 but the amount of air it takes in one rotation is about 2.6. Average mpg here is around 20-26 if you drive somewhat regularly, if you romp on it some of my friends have seen as low at 12mpg
Reply 16
Né Stig
Well, a debate to be had on this one....2.6litres after it's done a full cycle.

True, there are different ways of calculating the displacement of a ****** engine as well. At the end of the day though displacement isn't a particularly useful measurement - power, size, weight etc. are, but displacement alone isn't that useful. Of course then there's engines where trying to specify displacement doesn't make any sense.. and displacement isn't the same as the volume of air drawn in as well!
Reply 17
Fuel consumption will be poor, but not that bad for the performance. Lovely car, shame that this is the last year they're going to be selling it in the UK.

Bloody european emissions rules.
The fuel economy is worse than a V8

I understand the fuel costs in the UK are a big problem, but, honestly, the RX8 is one of the BEST cars I have ever driven in my life. If you can find a way to afford the fuel bills, I think you'll really enjoy the car. The steering and handling is absolutely phenomenal.
Made in the USA
The fuel economy is worse than a V8

I understand the fuel costs in the UK are a big problem, but, honestly, the RX8 is one of the BEST cars I have ever driven in my life. If you can find a way to afford the fuel bills, I think you'll really enjoy the car. The steering and handling is absolutely phenomenal.

Umm, what? This depends on quite a lot of other factors...

Anyway, not great is the answer.

Latest