The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
why djokovic, why
Reply 81
Served poorly with too many unforced errors, wasn't capable of producing the aggressive tennis he needs to beat these guys. Djokovic was sensational though, especially in defence, the amount of deep lobs, deep returns and gets from out wide was quite incredible. Left Murray looking clueless out there.

Still think he'll get another chance though.
Reply 82
Hes been totally outclassed and nothing has went his way! Theres still 3 more grandslams to go. Unlucky murray
Reply 83
Disappointed, he wasn't playing his best. Hopefully there will be another chance.
Anyone found this game so disappointing? Sure, some nice shots but it was too easy for Djokovic to win it in straight sets.

I'm biased as I'm a Nadal fan but if you don't have him or Federer in the final you just get easy matches that aren't THAT interesting.

Good job Djokovic anyway.
Reply 85
Psychological damage beckons. It doesn't please me to say it.
Gutted for Murray. Can't deny that he was outclassed completly today. I'm finding it hard to believe he will ever win a slam, not sure he has the mental strength. Hope i'm proven wrong.

Murray is the only player in the modern era to be in three Grand Slam finals and not take a set. That's gotta have a pyschological effect on him.

Hopefully, this lose doesn't affect his game like it did last year.
Djok was solid as a rock and at times, exceptional. But Murray was abysmal and whenever he did go a break up or break back, he just couldn't get any consistency together and maintain a mini run.

Very disappointed for him. Henman hit the nail on the head - Murray needs to be the aggressor far more than he currently is. Too defensive, waiting too often for his opponent to make the mistake.

Murray's serve wasn't firing, his backhand wasn't firing, his forehand wasn't firing and therefore his mind/on-court attitude and mood was all over the place.

Very poor final in terms of it being competitive and being a spectacle. The womens final was considerably better, in terms of entertainment, competitiveness and quality.
Reply 88
At the US Open in '08 he was ****ed mentally and physically and you could see it. Last year I don't think he played that badly and I thought Federer just hit him off the court. This year, Djokovic was excellent but it doesn't excuse how many balls Murray limply hit into the net, wide and long. He was poor.
Original post by johnnn
Hes been totally outclassed and nothing has went his way! Theres still 3 more grandslams to go. Unlucky murray

He doesn't have much chance of winning at Roland Garros (clay+Nadal+Federer) or Wimbledon (pressure on home soil + Fed+Nadal) tbh. I have to agree with you - he wasn't allowed to play well at all. Do you think 3 losses in straight sets will be a contributing factor to the quality of his performances in GS tournaments in the future?
Reply 90
Novak has been tremendous all tournament and I'm so glad for him. He was incredible against Federer and similarly so against Murray today who had no answers to his combination of aggression and outstanding defence. I expect Novak not to stop there either, next up is no. 1 for him and both Nadal and Federer will be aware of that.

That was a heartbreaking loss for Murray today. He never played to the level he was capable of and it seems as if he can't seem to produce his best tennis when it really matters the most. The type of tennis he plays is simply not good enough to get through the top 3 guys and he needs to reform his game to be more aggressive. His forehand in particular is such a weak shot not just in terms of power but technically, and there were times when his footwork was atrocious. As good a counterpuncher as he is, he has to learn that it won't cut it with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic and it's vital that he develops an attacking game not predicated on forcing errors.

He will have chances again but it's crushing to lose so many finals, and it will be a challenge for him to react more positively than he did after losing the final last year in similar fashion.
Reply 91
Murray didn't play well today at all, made far to many errors. Still Djokovic was pretty good today and Murray would have had to be at his best to even have a chance. Be interesting to see if Djokovic can carry on playing like this
Reply 92
3 finals. Considering Berdych was the other finalist at Wimby 10 his semi against Rafa was pretty much a final. Not one set from all four of them. The first final can be written off because he wasn't really a contender and the scheduling didn't help him, but the other 3 are quite worrying. In fairness in all 3 matches his opponent played brilliant tennis at times, but i'd suggest it's in part Murray's game that allows them to do that. Needs to find a winning mentality from somewhere, perhaps a new coach who has won slams in the past.

If Nole can kick on from this him and (a hopefully fit) Rafa could be really special in the clay season.
Murray was played off the park. I thought the game was going to go all the way from the way it started but he totally faded in the second set.

Oh well, chin up and move on.

One thing I don't understand though, why aren't both semi's on the same day?
Far too defensive from Murray today. For large periods he only seemed to be bothered with keeping the ball in play rather actually constructing winning shots and being the aggressor. There were glimpses of how good he is, but he still seems to have a mental barrier preventing him from playing his best tennis in major finals.

Credit to Djokovic though. Nadal and Federer will be having a few sleepless nights.
Reply 95
Original post by cowsforsale
Murray was played off the park. I thought the game was going to go all the way from the way it started but he totally faded in the second set.

Oh well, chin up and move on.

One thing I don't understand though, why aren't both semi's on the same day?

Financial reasons i'd imagine, they sell out Rod Laver twice instead of once.
Reply 96
I'm glad Murray got beat. I just don't like the guy's attitude.

He was just blown away in the end.
Got to feel a bit sorry for Murray, but obviously Djokovic was the better player. Still, what a boring final! Thought it would be a bit closer than that. I want Fed and Nadal back!

(who else finds Judy Murray so unbearable!?)
Original post by whisperings
Got to feel a bit sorry for Murray, but obviously Djokovic was the better player. Still, what a boring final! Thought it would be a bit closer than that. I want Fed and Nadal back!

It was a big disappointment. I thought it would be so much more competitive.

Unbearable? Not really. She's a very supportive mother, what's wrong with that?
Reply 99

I did a fist pump after one of Murray's very few inspirational moments today and was mortified to see a replay of Judy Murray doing the same thing seconds later.

Djokovic was outstanding today. One of Andy's strengths is his defence but Djok takes it to the next level. I can understand how demoralising it can be when someone just keeps getting it back, but really, Murray was very disappointing today. I do worry about him in the future. I hope he manages to bring something remotely close to his best tennis when he reaches his next GS final.

Latest