The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Irishguy2K10
OO, what r u doing in South Africa??

spending a month volunteering at a big cat reserve :smile: soooo excited :biggrin:
Original post by jayy...(:

Original post by jayy...(:
spending a month volunteering at a big cat reserve :smile: soooo excited :biggrin:

OOO thats going to be amazingggg, ur gonna have an immense time :biggrin:
Reply 82
Has anyone else heard about Bristol wanting Bmat for 2012 entry? I read it on the getting into vet book and am now feeling rather depressed as the whole reason I didnt apply to RVC this year was because I did really badly in the Bmat last year :frown: I dont want Liverpool to be my only realistic choice because of it :frown:
Original post by emmah629

Has anyone else heard about Bristol wanting Bmat for 2012 entry? I read it on the getting into vet book and am now feeling rather depressed as the whole reason I didnt apply to RVC this year was because I did really badly in the Bmat last year :frown: I dont want Liverpool to be my only realistic choice because of it :frown:

Yes I have heard that aswell..... I am so hoping they dont want the BMAT as I fail at it every time :biggrin:
Reply 84

oh no!! I :heart: bristol :frown:, i did bad too last year (3.5 in s1) but i did get an interview at rvc, so dont worry its not all resting on that!
Reply 85

It says on the Bristol uni's website that:
The University of Bristol's Veterinary Science (D100) course will have access to candidates' BMAT scores for research purposes only in 2011 - 12. The BMAT will not form part of the course entry requirements. For those candidates who are applying to the University of Bristol Veterinary Science (D100) course only, but not to any of the other BMAT-using institutions and courses, the BMAT will not be compulsory.

So as long as everyone gets in next year it should be fine:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
does anyone no anything about applying abroad? i've looked at Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, USA and my vet suggested Budapest (of all places!) but the websites are sooo confusing. Some unis only do a Doctor of Vet Med course. where you have to do a science degree before applying! :s-smilie:
has anyone tried to apply abroad before? i know the fees are HUGE but i'll probably apply abroad if i don't get into the UK this year. i'm planning on working abroad anyway so might as well study abroad! :wink:
Original post by Bonfield

Original post by Bonfield
It says on the Bristol uni's website that:
The University of Bristol's Veterinary Science (D100) course will have access to candidates' BMAT scores for research purposes only in 2011 - 12. The BMAT will not form part of the course entry requirements. For those candidates who are applying to the University of Bristol Veterinary Science (D100) course only, but not to any of the other BMAT-using institutions and courses, the BMAT will not be compulsory.

So as long as everyone gets in next year it should be fine:smile:

So we dont need to take any crappy bmat for Brizzle :smile:
Reply 88
I know swearing is frowned upon on here, but I seriously need to. I'm on a placement, which is literally in the middle of nowhere. And tomorrow I was supposed to be moving to another farm to do some lambing, again in the middle of nowhere. The sheep farmer's sister is now in hospital so she can't take me which means no lambing this year (which I need to do because it's been a long time since I've been) but she was also my ride home, which is like 4 hours away. So now I'm stuck with no lambing and no (affordable) way home. Fantastic. :frown:
Reply 89
Hi

I'm sure you're all expecting this, but as a Nottingham alumni I have just had the following email:

"Following Lord Browne’s Review, Government legislated to permit University fees to increase from their current level of £3,290 to a minimum of £6,000 and maximum of £9,000 per annum. These increased graduate contributions are intended to replace direct Government funding which is being withdrawn and to place greater responsibility for choice in the hands of students.

As with current arrangements, anyone securing a place at University will be provided with a public loan, repayable after graduation, when earnings exceed £21,000 per annum. In this way, higher education remains free at the point of entry, but Universities receive funding up-front, when it is actually needed.

For the past three months we have been carefully evaluating our position for 2012. This has involved a series of decisions: should there be a single fee or multiple fees? What fee level(s) are appropriate for Nottingham? What further commitments should we make to widen participation?

Consultation and discussion has been extensive, involving Heads of Schools and Service Directors, the Students Union, Senate, Council, Finance Committee, Strategy and Planning Committee. That process has now concluded and from 2012, subject to approval of our Access Agreement, the University will set a single fee of £9,000 per annum for home and European Union students.

That conclusion has been reached following careful appraisal of what is required to: first, replace significant reductions in teaching grant; second, support increased expenditure to accelerate progress already made in widening participation; and third, since capital funding is being reduced drastically, help generate resources for investment in the future sustainability of our University.

A condition of setting a fee in excess of £6,000 is approval of our Access Agreement by the Director of Fair Access. Our submission will be made over the next week. In addition to direct financial commitments through fee waivers and bursaries, there will be a step-change in our work with schools in communities in disadvantaged areas through our Nottingham Potential initiative.

The University’s position is being announced publicly today, to give potential applicants for 2012 entry maximum possible notice. I am confident that under the new arrangements we will continue to attract students of the highest calibre, whatever their background. I am also confident that, taken together with current endeavours to diversify income streams and manage ourselves efficiently and effectively, we remain well placed to invest in our people, our student services and our campuses."

It seems every uni in the UK now seems to think they have the right to charge the maximum in fees or else they'll look "cheap" and of poor quality :frown: There's no direct mention of VetMed of course, but it can't be any more expensive I suppose.....

Good luck with your applications - don't give up :colondollar:
Reply 90
Dont suppose anyone knows what unis actually think about 3rd time applicants...do they like it because it shows commitment and a real want for the career or do they put a black mark against you because you've not got in the previous two years?? Im just really unsure of whether to go through a 3rd application or not. Any advice much appreciated x
Reply 91
Original post by Becca-3
Dont suppose anyone knows what unis actually think about 3rd time applicants...do they like it because it shows commitment and a real want for the career or do they put a black mark against you because you've not got in the previous two years?? Im just really unsure of whether to go through a 3rd application or not. Any advice much appreciated x

i know for definate that 3rd apps have gotten into liverpool and rvc, not sure about the rest!
Reply 92
Looks like I'll be a third time app as well, still debating on hap year #2 or a year of the biovet course though.
Original post by rubyworldwide
does anyone no anything about applying abroad? i've looked at Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, USA and my vet suggested Budapest (of all places!) but the websites are sooo confusing. Some unis only do a Doctor of Vet Med course. where you have to do a science degree before applying! :s-smilie:
has anyone tried to apply abroad before? i know the fees are HUGE but i'll probably apply abroad if i don't get into the UK this year. i'm planning on working abroad anyway so might as well study abroad! :wink:

Hey, look at the UVM kosice thread. Its a vet school in slovakia that a few of us on here study at. Its 7000 euros a year. School leavers can take the 6 year course, and grads can take the 4 year course. I like it a lot :biggrin: Unfortunately there is very little info on other international schools, but there are some in Brno (Czech republic), Warsaw, Romania and Budapest like you've already mentioned. Budapest seems to be the one most people in the UK know about, but ive heard some pretty bad things about it from people who went there and tranferred here to UVM in slovakia instead.
Reply 94
Original post by Becca-3

ive heard of 3rd time successful applications, and i think it would also show commitment, but i just know that bristol dont accept 3rd time apps :frown:
x
Edit: nottingham dont accept them, not bristol :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by moon_shine
ive heard of 3rd time successful applications, and i think it would also show commitment, but i just know that bristol dont accept 3rd time apps :frown:
x

Where does it say that? Does it include interviews or total ucas apps? I couldnt see it on their admissions statement :frown: x
Reply 96
Original post by elli4
Where does it say that? Does it include interviews or total ucas apps? I couldnt see it on their admissions statement :frown: x

:eek: sorry i got completely mixed up, its nottingham who dont- i thought it was in my bristol email but it was my notts feedback one! so yeah bristol probs will :smile:
Reply 97
I thought Notts were ok with any-time-apps but that once you've had an interview with them you couldn't reapply there?

Had safari work experience today - awesome :biggrin: basically played with, cleaned up after and fed donkeys, lemurs, meerkats etc. Bring on the beginning of lambing tomorrow - EXCITED! :biggrin: oh and calving too :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by totallyme
I thought Notts were ok with any-time-apps but that once you've had an interview with them you couldn't reapply there?

Had safari work experience today - awesome :biggrin: basically played with, cleaned up after and fed donkeys, lemurs, meerkats etc. Bring on the beginning of lambing tomorrow - EXCITED! :biggrin: oh and calving too :smile:

Yes how wrong is that!! If you have been good enough to get an interview at Nottingham, you are then penalised for applying again!!! Given that they interview approx 400 for 100 places, thats really unfair. They are the only uni that do that!:angry:
Reply 99
Original post by moon_shine
:eek: sorry i got completely mixed up, its nottingham who dont- i thought it was in my bristol email but it was my notts feedback one! so yeah bristol probs will :smile:

ahh cheers panicked me for a minute there lol :s-smilie:, yeah i found out the hard way with Nottingham this year as i didn't look at the website closely enough and being a 2nd time app didn't bother to get any prospectuses, but the told me in January after filling in the questionnaire! I though i read somewhere that RVC don't usually consider more than one applications? x

Quick Reply

Latest