The Student Room Group

Irish Soc

I have realised that there is so much stuff that is of Irish influence that people love, and there is no society to talk about the stuff on here.

Guiness is the most notable of all, but there is a huge musical scene in Ireland with bands like U2, The Corrs as well as Riverdance, Lord of the Dance (even though Michael Flatley is American). There is just so much going on that has Irish roots.

And of course, there is that wonderful scenery. I just love the beauty that can be found in some parts of Ireland. I cannot think of any other country that is as stunning as Ireland. I cannot even think of any other country that has such a vast number of books dedicated to photographs of the land.

So in short, this soc is for anything and everything Irish. Please join as Ireland is one amazing country. (To please whoever it was that neg repped me for saying this, I do have knowledge of Ireland, and to me, and many other people who are and aren't from the country, it is amazing.)

http://www.in-a-minute-company-formations.co.uk/images/general/irish-flag-large.gif
http://www.emat-tucson.org/NorthernIreland/Pictures/NorthernIrelandFlag.gif
http://www.choiceshirts.com/images/A1/19/A11973A-lg.jpg
Both the Republic of Ireland flag and Northern Ireland flags are shown here so as to eliminate any accusations of bias. This is NOT a political society, and referrs to the entire island of Ireland.

Members:
The Canadian (founder)
Tomásíona - Mháire (my fave Irish gal :love: mo cuishle [I do know a little bit of Gaelic!!])
mikeski (first member!!)
The Crow
Tarts n Vicars
Ghost
e11even
Cadre Of Storms
Hugatree
ciara
paddy357
Kittennffc
qpwoei
dogtanian
Kwekubo
**R**
jojo-irish-jojo
viciouscircle
evilheat
jaydoh
Katy200
Xx. kAyTe .xX
arnie2006
Naoimh
dreamy_girl
rowsandcolumns
Gaskell
Tarts n Vicars
Irish ash
ainat87
Eimear151
ajdabrill
_C_
Calymath
Woodsy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
YEO! finally an irish Soc! can i be the first to join?!?!?

Im from northern ireland, but still part of Ireland! :biggrin:
As a Corkonian I find the last remark mildly offensive :cool:

Nothing Cork about that saying mate....no more than anywhere else on the island anyway!
Reply 3
An Englishman, An Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The Barman says "Is this some kind of joke?"

**I resisted the temptation to tell an Irish joke....although I had to fight with every fibre of my being....**
Reply 4
I'd join too, am from norn iron
Reply 5
Well, everyone I know thinks that the "top o th mornin to ya" thing from Cork is the only thing that the Irish ever say! I'll get rid of the Cork part though, and sorry for any offence.

Glad to see some good Irish people on here :biggrin: I always seem to have a better time out when I'm with Irish friends than British ones, but I've never been able to figure out why!!

Oh, and TrentEnd, if I were you, I'd keep on fighting that urge, unless you want us to let rip with a load of English jokes (although most I know are about David Beckham!!).
Reply 6
Hello :biggrin: I think The Corrs' latest album, HOME, is good :smile: Sign me up, please? =) Thank you!
im a rossy myself (roscommon)
i remember asking a corkman one
is it true people from cork always answer a question with a question
his response
who told you that

im not kidding
It's not from Cork though...why you keep saying it is? It's some cliche saying that no Irish person I've ever met says, probably made up by some American movie company....
Reply 9
I said it was a Cork thing cos that is what everyone keeps telling me, except you. My grandfather who lived in Ireland for about 20 years or so, my dad who knows loads of scarily random stuff, and some TV chat show host!! I think the guy from Cork is probably the only one who is right.

You are right, it is most likely an American movie thing, and possibly the movie thing was based in Cork, hence the incorrect association.
e11even
Hello :biggrin: I think The Corrs' latest album, HOME, is good :smile: Sign me up, please? =) Thank you!

Which is your fave song? Mine is Buchaille On Eirne, mainly cos I used to sing it years and years ago when I had an Irish rock metal band!! We had an electric harp :smile: LOL
Reply 11
e11even
So do I! :biggrin: Have been a fan for years!

I really badly wonna go to Ireland sometime. :smile: Which reminds me... Mum got me a DVD with a bodhran tutorial last week. :biggrin: I've had the thing for 2 years but was never able to play it. Now I can finally learn!! (Well, after the exams...)

So yeah sign me up please! :biggrin: Oh and maybe ask Pig if we can have that Irish flag as a logo. :cool:

--------------

The Canadian
Which is your fave song? Mine is Buchaille On Eirne, mainly cos I used to sing it years and years ago when I had an Irish rock metal band!! We had an electric harp :smile: LOL
Mine is Dimming of the Day. :smile::smile: It suits my vocal range best hehe I love singing along. It doesn't always have to be Andrea who does the singing! Like in No Frontiers, Sharon and Caroline do an AMAZING job. I wish Caro would sing more she can sing quite high.
the only good thing about the Corrs is the ladies *drools*
Reply 13
Cadre_Of_Storms
the only good thing about the Corrs is the ladies *drools*
I'd have to disagree with you, Jim is amazing and without him there wouldn't be any Corrs. :biggrin: However, they sure are sexy! :biggrin:

In my User CP it still says I have a picture or 2 of Andrea Corr on here still uploaded hehe. Think it was in the LGBT thread.
Reply 14
hugatree
I'd have to disagree with you, Jim is amazing and without him there wouldn't be any Corrs. :biggrin: However, they sure are sexy! :biggrin:

In my User CP it still says I have a picture or 2 of Andrea Corr on here still uploaded hehe. Think it was in the LGBT thread.

Hear, hear. Jim is brilliant :smile: But the girls are definitely sexy :wink:

My fave song is Peggy Gordon :biggrin: but Dimming of the Day comes right after.
Reply 15
Cadre_Of_Storms
im a rossy myself (roscommon)
i remember asking a corkman one
is it true people from cork always answer a question with a question
his response
who told you that

im not kidding
That's actually kinda funny. :biggrin:
The ladies are great, but Jim is the link to the whole thing. Without him, it just wouldn't work. And did you know Jim and Gayle are gonna have a baby! Won't be long now before we see The Corrs junior!

I want to go out to Ireland too, have been meaning to for a while, and I might do this year if I can afford it!
Reply 17
The Canadian
The ladies are great, but Jim is the link to the whole thing. Without him, it just wouldn't work. And did you know Jim and Gayle are gonna have a baby! Won't be long now before we see The Corrs junior!
Yup and Sharon's pregnant too! :smile: Now all we need is a proposal from Shaun (sp?), although I don't think the men who fancy Andrea will agree with me. :biggrin:
Tarts_n_Vicars
As a Corkonian I find the last remark mildly offensive :cool:

Nothing Cork about that saying mate....no more than anywhere else on the island anyway!

:ditto: :five: thats true xoxo
See, I prefer Caroline to Andrea. Caroline just has a laugh and is great, but Andrea is more, I dunno, but there's just something about her, like she's holding back at times.

Plus, female Irish drummer *drools*

Don't worry Huggymeister, I drool over you more :wink: :love:

Quick Reply

Latest