The Student Room Group

AS Level Eng. Lit coursework - word limits!!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently revising my AS Level English coursework on A Streetcar Named Desire and with the word limit of 1,500 I'm really struggling to cut it down anymore. I started off with 2,300 or so words and I'm currently now at 2,099 (or 1,844 excluding quotes and all) and I really want to know - will the word limit be checked? Surely handing it in on paper theres now way my Eng. Lit teacher is going to count it or the examiner.... basically, can I get away with going over the word limit ?

If you could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it! :-D
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm doing the exact same coursework!, However I am only on 1000 words at the moment as I havent finished yet. I'd just take out anything irrelevant to the question. Judging by how many words you have wrote i'm guessing you have waffled on at some point about something haha. You could ask you teacher to have a look and i'm sure they'd be able to help you cut out some things! :smile:)
Reply 2
If you go over, you can be penalised. Really, look at your essay very closely, see if you have repeated yourself or if there are any ideas which do not actually hit the AOs. It is difficult but it is not worth the risk.
Reply 3
Original post by obsidian
if you go over, you can be penalised. Really, look at your essay very closely, see if you have repeated yourself or if there are any ideas which do not actually hit the aos. It is difficult but it is not worth the risk.

what is your as coursework title?
Reply 4
Original post by oneddd
what is your as coursework title?

I did a re-creative piece for my AS Streetcar coursework and a more conventional, analytical essay for my other piece of coursework.
Regardless of title or option, the word limit applies.
Reply 5
Original post by magpie-
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently revising my AS Level English coursework on A Streetcar Named Desire and with the word limit of 1,500 I'm really struggling to cut it down anymore. I started off with 2,300 or so words and I'm currently now at 2,099 (or 1,844 excluding quotes and all) and I really want to know - will the word limit be checked? Surely handing it in on paper theres now way my Eng. Lit teacher is going to count it or the examiner.... basically, can I get away with going over the word limit ?

If you could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it! :-D

Quotations don't count. You're fine.
Footnotes, titles and Quotations don't count.

There is an unofficial overflow of around 10% also.

After that you will likely be penalised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending