The Student Room Group

Universities being so vague!!!! ARGHHHH

This is going to come off as a rant and it probably is :mad:, heres the story:

Applied through UCAS, got 2/5 offers, however I was never sure on the course I chose, so two weeks ago I decided to change by declining those offers and going into UCAS extra. For those unfamiliar with this thing, you can only apply for one choice at a time, the problem is that while you're being considered for the choice you put down, places elsewhere would be taken up in however long it takes for a decision to be made on your application. So as you can see, theres a huge risk on my part.

So I thought, why not get in touch with these unis that I'm interested in via email, send them all my info (PS, grades, whathaveyou), and then ask them to tell me the likelihood that I would recieve an offer from them. I even went as far as getting my teacher to send them my reference . Fast forward to now, I have 2 response giving me the typical empty gesture of, ''your application would be considered but we cannot be any more specific'' or words to that effect. Its so frustrating, you ask them a question and get this ****ty reply with no substance whatsoever. Its the same ****ing thing on the phone as well, and it wasn't even some admin or receptionist I was talking to, I asked to be put through to the person who actually deals with admissions. God, I hate this so much :angry: :angry: :angry:

Tl:dr - tell unis my info, ask them how likely I would get an offer from them, end up getting a vague answer of no use whatsoever.
Reply 1
Tbh they cant really tell you for sure. Telling you that you wont have a shot may risk you not applying at all and by telling you that you have a good chance will get your hopes up for an offer that might not come.
Reply 2
They can't say you'll definitely get an offer, because that depends on when you actually apply, and also how many other applications they get. You've already been in Extra for 2 weeks and not applied yet, and if you hang around another 2 weeks those unis might not have spaces - but if they tell you you'll get an offer they're stuck with that.

However, unis will say a definite no if they don't want you. So by getting any other reply, you're pretty much getting a yes.
Original post by Juno
They can't say you'll definitely get an offer, because that depends on when you actually apply, and also how many other applications they get. You've already been in Extra for 2 weeks and not applied yet, and if you hang around another 2 weeks those unis might not have spaces - but if they tell you you'll get an offer they're stuck with that.

However, unis will say a definite no if they don't want you. So by getting any other reply, you're pretty much getting a yes.

I think thats a very misleading, OP said they told him, 'we will consider you', thats nowhere near as you put it, 'pretty much getting a yes'. From my own experience, I've heard the same non-answer given by unis many times when I've contacted them, yet I've still ended up being rejected by two of my choices.
Reply 4
Original post by internet tough guy
I think thats a very misleading, OP said they told him, 'we will consider you', thats nowhere near as you put it, 'pretty much getting a yes'. From my own experience, I've heard the same non-answer given by unis many times when I've contacted them, yet I've still ended up being rejected by two of my choices.

This is talking about Extra.
I've been through Extra twice. From my experience, if they know your grades, have seen your PS and are saying "we will consider you", from what I've seen that generally means you'll be getting an offer. If they weren't interested in you they would have said it was unlikely you would receive an offer, or something to that effect. All the times I've applied to a uni via Extra too, they've usually replied with an offer/decline in a couple of days, max. was a week from Exeter Cornwall Campus and that was the only rejection.

Just find a uni you're interested in that has places through extra, email them, basically just ask if they would consider you with such and such grades, if they say yes, send them an application and see. You're wasting time by waiting for multiple places to reply to emails, just send your application to one, and if they send you an offer but you're still not sure, at least then you have that offer whilst you wait for other replies via email.

Mind if I ask where you've contacted and what you're applying for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Juno
This is talking about Extra.

what difference is there?

'we will consider you' is akin to them saying, 'you've met our absolute bare minimum requirements so we'll have a look at your application in full to see if you are the type of student we want' - thats hardly a reassuring sign that an offer is on the way.

'we will consider you' is akin to them saying, 'you've met our absolute bare minimum requirements so we'll have a look at your application in full to see if you are the type of student we want' - thats hardly a reassuring sign that an offer is on the way.

If it's through Extra though, that means they have seen the majority of applications and still have spaces left to fill. They wouldn't even be considering someone at this late stage if they weren't already thinking of giving them an offer. All the times I've been told "yes, we would consider you", I've had offers. If OP is changing his initial subject then they might ask for a different personal statement but that's it really.
Reply 8

Because at this stage unis know the standard of the other applicants so will know how you measure up. They are also in Extra because they have more offers to give out, which potentially means they won't get enough students so they can be more lenient (they usually aren't during Extra, but they can be). They also don't want to waste their time looking at applications that clearly aren't good enough - and they know that students in Extra can be feeling a bit desperate or vulnerable so they don't want to waste the student's time either.

So whilst your comments may be accurate for normal UCAS applications they are not applicable here.
Reply 9
If you ask me, its all WAAYYYY too complicated
Original post by StefanieLouise
If it's through Extra though, that means they have seen the majority of applications and still have spaces left to fill. They wouldn't even be considering someone at this late stage if they weren't already thinking of giving them an offer. All the times I've been told "yes, we would consider you", I've had offers. If OP is changing his initial subject then they might ask for a different personal statement but that's it really.

well ok I see where you're coming from, but there must be a reason why they're so unwilling to commit to an answer to OP, otherwise if it really is as straight-forward as you say it is, there can't possibly be any harm to them saying, 'you will probably get an offer' or a straight 'yes'. Idk, I'd be skeptical though, its not just the competition they're using to judge to you on, they'll be looking at whether they actually want you on their course, and also by this stage they may have filled up their places already or only have a few offers left to hand out so from their view, they probably don't feel like they necessarily have to use them up and so they could still be picky about your application and could still choose to reject it if they feel like it
Original post by Juno

So sorry to intrude on your thread OP, I'd just like to ask Juno something. I've had an offer for History at Sussex and see they're in Extra for History & English, which I really want to do, now should I email the English dep. to see if they're consider taking me? I don't want to use Extra as I'd just like to change my course...
Original post by Juno
Because at this stage unis know the standard of the other applicants so will know how you measure up. They are also in Extra because they have more offers to give out, which potentially means they won't get enough students so they can be more lenient (they usually aren't during Extra, but they can be). They also don't want to waste their time looking at applications that clearly aren't good enough - and they know that students in Extra can be feeling a bit desperate or vulnerable so they don't want to waste the student's time either.

So whilst your comments may be accurate for normal UCAS applications they are not applicable here.

As I was saying to stefanielouise, well if thats really the case, why aren't the unis prepared to give a more coherent answer then?

The fact that these unis are in extra doesn't necessarily mean that they face the possibility of being short on students, they tend to give out more offers than placs anyway. So for example if they have 100 places and they give out roughly 300 offers every year but this time they've realised that they've only given out 290, they could decide to go into extra but they will not be too bothered about having to hit that 300 target because its never an exact science with these things (i.e it doesn't always matter because numbers will inevitably vary depending on what their offer-holders choose to do). So in this example, the uni may decide only to give offers to ucas extra applicants who they want as well as judging them in line with the competition. Clearly this shows that its not as straight forward.

Also, I think the important point is that for some of these unis, they still have some applicants from their original batch who they haven't given offers/rejections to, and also theres the fact that there are other ucas extra applicants as well.
Reply 13
Original post by SophiaKeuning
So sorry to intrude on your thread OP, I'd just like to ask Juno something. I've had an offer for History at Sussex and see they're in Extra for History & English, which I really want to do, now should I email the English dep. to see if they're consider taking me? I don't want to use Extra as I'd just like to change my course...

Joint courses are handled differently by different unis, so it's possible that the English department don't really have anything to do with the applications even though it's a joint course - and they also won't have all of your details easily to hand. They also can't actually change your offer on their own. So no, don't email them specifically as there's nothing they can do.

Either phone the uni and ask if there is a specific person to email, or just email the generic [email protected] (remembering to include your UCAS number and other identifying information) but if you do that then only wait a week or so before chasing. They can forward your email to a different person if someone else needs to see it, and the general email people should be used to doing that so they should be able to sort you out.

If you have any specific questions about the course or whatever then yeah, email the English department. But to change course completely they're not right.

Sorry, I don't think that made much sense. It's late and I'm tired and going to bed soon.
At this stage, I would put all my eggs in one basket and just apply for my no.1 choice that's in extra, without contacting them.
Original post by Juno
Joint courses are handled differently by different unis, so it's possible that the English department don't really have anything to do with the applications even though it's a joint course - and they also won't have all of your details easily to hand. They also can't actually change your offer on their own. So no, don't email them specifically as there's nothing they can do.

Either phone the uni and ask if there is a specific person to email, or just email the generic [email protected] (remembering to include your UCAS number and other identifying information) but if you do that then only wait a week or so before chasing. They can forward your email to a different person if someone else needs to see it, and the general email people should be used to doing that so they should be able to sort you out.

If you have any specific questions about the course or whatever then yeah, email the English department. But to change course completely they're not right.

Sorry, I don't think that made much sense. It's late and I'm tired and going to bed soon.

No, no thanks a lot that's exactly what I wanted to know! I have a few queries about the course so I'll email the English the department first, I see now that the actual technicalities involved in changing courses isn't dealt by the English dep.
Reply 16
Original post by Juno

I hope you're right there. I wasn't even asking for a definite yes or no though, just some sort of indication, but I suppose its not really my place to demand such level of clarity fromn them since they are in a position of power whereas I'm just another dispendable applicant, obviously I'm the one expected to take the overwhelming risk and the fall should I fail in my application.

Original post by StefanieLouise
I've been through Extra twice. From my experience, if they know your grades, have seen your PS and are saying "we will consider you", from what I've seen that generally means you'll be getting an offer. If they weren't interested in you they would have said it was unlikely you would receive an offer, or something to that effect. All the times I've applied to a uni via Extra too, they've usually replied with an offer/decline in a couple of days, max. was a week from Exeter Cornwall Campus and that was the only rejection.

Just find a uni you're interested in that has places through extra, email them, basically just ask if they would consider you with such and such grades, if they say yes, send them an application and see. You're wasting time by waiting for multiple places to reply to emails, just send your application to one, and if they send you an offer but you're still not sure, at least then you have that offer whilst you wait for other replies via email.

Mind if I ask where you've contacted and what you're applying for?

edinburgh, exeter, birmingham, kings college (replies so far from edin and birm). For straight geography.

I hope you're right as well, but it seems too good to be true, why else would they not be open and honest with me then if they think its about 90% I would get an offer?

Anyway this is getting very tedious, its been like trying to prise an answer out of a politician. I've yet to recieve anything close to resembling a 'yes', or a 'no' (which I'm not sure whether to be thankful or not, because this could well end up leading me onto a dead road. At least if they say 'no' it would help me narrow my choices). So there is no other choice but to put all my eggs in on basket and risk it, and I'll do this by the end of this week. I can only hope that they either give me an offer or reject me quickly and not drag it on for weeks like they did with a few other people I know who've also into extra.
Original post by Jack93o

edinburgh, exeter, birmingham, kings college (replies so far from edin and birm). For straight geography.

I hope you're right as well, but it seems too good to be true, why else would they not be open and honest with me then if they think its about 90% I would get an offer?

Anyway this is getting very tedious, its been like trying to prise an answer out of a politician. I've yet to recieve anything close to resembling a 'yes', or a 'no' (which I'm not sure whether to be thankful or not, because this could well end up leading me onto a dead road. At least if they say 'no' it would help me narrow my choices). So there is no other choice but to put all my eggs in on basket and risk it, and I'll do this by the end of this week. I can only hope that they either give me an offer or reject me quickly and not drag it on for weeks like they did with a few other people I know who've also into extra.

Pick your favourite ASAP and just apply there. The sooner you apply, the sooner they can either accept or reject you and you can move on to your next choice. Time really is important during Extra. Once you've sent your application, email them to say so and ask if you could receive a quick decision. They're all quite high risk universities though, do you already have your A level grades? If not, good luck going without an insurance...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending