The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Whos going to Clifton Campus...New Hall or Peverell or even Private (Goldsmiths)?

hi,

new to the forums and just wanted to say a quick hello :smile:

Has anyone decided on where they are living as first years for 2012/2013 entry at clifton?

im unsure and am mainly concerned about having lively halls for nights out and meeting new people etc.

New Hall and peverell seem the best Uni owned accom but ive heard a lot of praise for Goldsmiths court as well. Where is best for the nicest and most modern accom but also where all the first years are?

anyone else going to be in clifton?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :tongue: I'm going to be on the Clifton Campus, think i will be staying in New Halls as they are really nice :biggrin:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by axell
hi,

new to the forums and just wanted to say a quick hello :smile:

Has anyone decided on where they are living as first years for 2012/2013 entry at clifton?

im unsure and am mainly concerned about having lively halls for nights out and meeting new people etc.

New Hall and peverell seem the best Uni owned accom but ive heard a lot of praise for Goldsmiths court as well. Where is best for the nicest and most modern accom but also where all the first years are?

anyone else going to be in clifton?

HEYYYYY, I'll be on Clifton studying biochemistry. I am considering private accommadation may IQ student accomadation it's only £99 a week! or I might live on the city campus. IQ is modern and really nice.:smile:
Reply 3
New halls is amazing, i'm there this year :smile: if you have any questions just quote me and i'll answer them for you!
Reply 4
Original post by Shan<3
New halls is amazing, i'm there this year :smile: if you have any questions just quote me and i'll answer them for you!

Heya yeah. I was wondering if it's worth spending an extra £1000 a year to live in New Halls? I saw them both and although New Halls is really nice, Peverell was still decent and had everything needed by the looks of it. At the moment, I'm just a bit unsure about which one I'd prefer to apply to.

And also, what's life in halls like? And general Uni life at Nottingham Trent too?
Reply 5
Original post by RuthFletcher05
Heya yeah. I was wondering if it's worth spending an extra £1000 a year to live in New Halls? I saw them both and although New Halls is really nice, Peverell was still decent and had everything needed by the looks of it. At the moment, I'm just a bit unsure about which one I'd prefer to apply to.

And also, what's life in halls like? And general Uni life at Nottingham Trent too?

I havent lived there but when i visited I wouldnt say it's worth £1000 unless you have plenty of money to spare. I am planning to stay in peverell in September :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Shan<3

oh koool, do you have any pictures of your room? and is it fairly lively for nights out?

Original post by breezybabe05
HEYYYYY, I'll be on Clifton studying biochemistry. I am considering private accommadation may IQ student accomadation it's only £99 a week! or I might live on the city campus. IQ is modern and really nice.:smile:

everyone should go live in New Halls!
Reply 7
Original post by RuthFletcher05

Ooh.. thats a tough one. When I applied I thought an extra tenner a week for a bit of comfort was nothing, but now i've been a student for a year i've realised I could have done with it! If I were to do it again, i'd probably choose Peverell. However maybe thats just cos I have lots of friends there! As you say, although New Halls is incredible, Peverell is also very nice compared to ones i've seen in city *cough* Sandby. A friend of mine in Peverell said he felt New Halls was more social, as we have quite big open plan kitchens, so people tend to spend more time in them with each other as opposed to their rooms. New Halls is also closer to the shop, the bus stops and The Point, however thats only really an issue when you're struggling back from Morrisons with 20 carrier bags of booze! So really its down to you, halls tend to end up getting very messy (especially kitchens) so I think this year I would have felt less guilty if everything wasn't brand new!
NTU is incredible, if you get involved with things. I've made so many friends from a variety of years and courses, mainly through sports societies. I think Trent has a great sense of community and I really couldn't imagine life elsewhere. All of my friends who have gone to various uni's say its fun, but i'm literally having the best year of my life here :smile:
Halls are also great fun- but NOISY. Oh and messy. I love it though, going home to normality is such a culture shock. There's always something going on here and so many new people to mix with. If you're fairly outgoing you should love it!
Reply 8
Original post by axell
oh koool, do you have any pictures of your room? and is it fairly lively for nights out?

If you want to see pictures, your best bet is to search and join the fb group "Nottingham Trent New Halls Clifton Campus" as someone put up a fair few pic's last year before we moved in (as we had no idea what we were getting, infact my block was still being built when I arrived...)
Nights out are great, although it's not as convinent for clubs as living in the city would be, theres a night bus (so free if you have a bus card) and taxi's are around 8-10 quid, so about £2 each if you have a full car, and presumably if you're out on a student night you can usually find other Clifton goer's!
Also The Point is just at the top of New Halls so VERY handy to stagger a few feet and hop into your bed :smile: they hold a club night every Friday, a "pound a pint" night on thursdays (good for predrinks before hitting Nottingham) and a quiz night on sundays and I think the bar is open every other night too. Thats the only thing that really happens in Clifton, apart from flat parties ofc. They've been pretty good this year, but I guess it depends what kind of people move in next year!
Reply 9
Original post by axell

If you want to see pictures, your best bet is to search and join the fb group "Nottingham Trent New Halls Clifton Campus" as someone put up a fair few pic's last year before we moved in (as we had no idea what we were getting, infact my block was still being built when I arrived...)
Nights out are great, although it's not as convinent for clubs as living in the city would be, theres a night bus (so free if you have a bus card) and taxi's are around 8-10 quid, so about £2 each if you have a full car, and presumably if you're out on a student night you can usually find other Clifton goer's!
Also The Point is just at the top of New Halls so VERY handy to stagger a few feet and hop into your bed :smile: they hold a club night every Friday, a "pound a pint" night on thursdays (good for predrinks before hitting Nottingham) and a quiz night on sundays and I think the bar is open every other night too. Thats the only thing that really happens in Clifton, apart from flat parties ofc. They've been pretty good this year, but I guess it depends what kind of people move in next year!
Reply 10
Original post by Shan<3

thanks youve been really helpful!

would you be able to compare any of the private accom to peverell/new halls?
Reply 11
Original post by axell

Sorry I don't really know which accom is private and which is uni owned (in the city anyway). Which ones were you looking at as i've visited quite a few. If you're looking to live in the city i'd advise Trinity Square, the location is amazing.
Reply 12
Original post by axell

If you want to roll out of bed 5 minutes before a lecture then New Halls/Peverell is your best option. Out of those two I would pick Peverell, although I've not seen inside New Halls it was the old accommodation when I last went to Clifton, but for the price difference Peverell is not much different.

The majority, if not all, of the Private Accommodation is in the city centre. This is about a 20-30 minute bus ride away (depending on traffic). You can get a years bus pass for around £250 - thats what it was 2 years ago anyway :tongue:
If you are interested in Private halls then check out iQ here they have limited rooms left so if you like the look of them then act quickly!
There is also Victoria Halls which are quite nice, Glasshouse , Goldsmith and Trinity Square
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Definitely going for Peverell, I appreciate New Halls is a bit nicer but Peverell had everything I needed when I went round and the extra £1000 and the fact we go home at Christmas, Easter and Summer just makes Peverell the better option in my opinion.

What's the common room like in Peverell? (What facilities)
Reply 14
Original post by Swell
Definitely going for Peverell, I appreciate New Halls is a bit nicer but Peverell had everything I needed when I went round and the extra £1000 and the fact we go home at Christmas, Easter and Summer just makes Peverell the better option in my opinion.

What's the common room like in Peverell? (What facilities)

hey, im actually towards peverell as well now just for the savings.

there 360 view pictures on the NTU site for peverell and new halls now and you can see the common room, looks okay.

so with peverell you take all your stuff home over christmas and easter as well?
Reply 15
Original post by axell
hey, im actually towards peverell as well now just for the savings.

so with peverell you take all your stuff home over christmas and easter as well?

No, you don't have to take anything home in holidays, other than what you need obviously. The room is yours once you have paid/signed the contract.
I think he meant that as you go home at Christmas and Easter for a total of 6/7 weeks then you might as well go for the cheaper option :smile:
can you apply for accommodation if NTU is your insurance? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Shan<3

How long is the bus journey to the city?

And also, for your second year where are you planning on staying?
Reply 18
Original post by charlotteboulton28
can you apply for accommodation if NTU is your insurance? :smile:

No you can't.
Reply 19
(21/M/Manchester)
I'v just put NTU as my first choice :biggrin:

Can't wait to go now...

I visited the Clifton Campus and found all the accomadation pretty decent...

At first I thought it would be a pain to be away from the City n then I realised how useful its going to be having my lesson just outside my door, was never the best at catching buses first thing in the morning :biggrin:

Anyway, I think I'm going to go for peverell. Quite a few people I'v spoke to have said either that they had an amazing time at peverell or they wish they'd stayed in peverell. Plus you need every penny you can get as a student, so seems silly to pay an extra £1000 a year.

I'm taking English Literature, Joint Honours, Anyone else doing English??

Quick Reply

Latest