The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6320
Right, so over the last couple of days:

- I watched The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo - the Swedish extended version. It was pretty good; it started out, like many other adaptations, feeling a bit rushed, but then suddenly got very good, before trailing off a little at the end (like the book, the ending felt a bit drawn out - though in the case of the book, it actually served to create a platform for the next in the series. Perhaps this will as well.) The acting on the whole was good as well - Rapice was pretty believable, and she's supposed to be extraordinary in the later films.

- I watched Psycho - for the first time (another one off the list of shame :banana:). Anthony Perkins. :coma: Totally convincing.

- I went and watched The Avengers. I suppose I'll have to be in the minority that didn't think it was all that awesome. :o: I didn't dislike it, though, and thought it was enjoyable at times. I think Ruffalo/Hulk and Hiddleston were the only ones that impressed me consistently. What it has done, though, is given me a desire to now watch Thor. :colondollar:

Anyway, hopefully watching Another Earth later today.
Original post by Mister Dead
i'm going to stick my neck out and predict that it'll be an absolute turkey of a film. it's fairly safe to completely ignore anything burton does thesedays. of course one day he'll make a decent film and nobody will realise until he's dead. and johnny depp is a pretty safe bet for turkeys thesedays also, possibly by association.

This is Tim Burton's seventh film of the century. Out of the past five I've seen, I've enjoyed four. I'm glad I didn't ignore them. It would have been a shame for pretension to get in the way of my enjoyment.
"Fifty Shades Of Grey"- Is being Turned into a Movie!!!
Maybe Staring... -Guess Who-
******Ian Somerhalder*******
OR
********Nina Dobrev*********

[But Not Both of them]
They dont agree they should both Star in the same thing other than VampireDiaries!
Reply 6323
Original post by Salvatore8
"Fifty Shades Of Grey"- Is being Turned into a Movie!!!
Maybe Staring... -Guess Who-
******Ian Somerhalder*******
OR
********Nina Dobrev*********

[But Not Both of them]
They dont agree they should both Star in the same thing other than VampireDiaries!

I wonder if it's at all worth reading this. :ninja: Heard the name bandied about quite a bit.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Did you not like him in Iron Man then? Incidentally, the director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is signed on to direct Iron Man 3.

I'm not too big on superhero films, to be honest. I enjoy the classic Batman flicks, though the last decade has seen too many to remember, really.

That said, I think he's a good actor.
Reply 6325
Dark Shadows. Don't bother.
Original post by Phalanges
This is Tim Burton's seventh film of the century. Out of the past five I've seen, I've enjoyed four. I'm glad I didn't ignore them. It would have been a shame for pretension to get in the way of my enjoyment.

well yeah it would, and it would be illogical and bizarre because you like the films he's been making this decade, and that makes me wonder what on Earth lead you to make such a silly comment.

I on the other hand have felt like i'm being punished when i've watched some of his more recent efforts. But obviously I should ignore NO FILMS AT ALL for fear of missing a good one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6327
Just had a look at the Tim Burton films from this century, my verdicts:

Planet Of The Apes - Haven't seen.
Big Fish - Loved.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Hated.
Corpse Bride - Haven't seen.
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Loved.
Alice In Wonderland - Hated.

Definitely been hit and miss for me for the past few years!
you've missed a couple
Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's best films of the century have been without each other There, I said it.
Original post by Mister Dead
you've missed a couple

sorry, you missed one, as producer/director of features

Original post by aja89
Just had a look at the Tim Burton films from this century, my verdicts:

Planet Of The Apes - Haven't seen.
Big Fish - Loved.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Hated.
Corpse Bride - Haven't seen.
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Loved.
Alice In Wonderland - Hated.

Definitely been hit and miss for me for the past few years!
Hated Alice in Wonderland. I thought Disney's version worked so much better with all its singing, and I just prefer it as an animated film, to be honest.

I'd definitely recommend watching Corpse Bride, though. I really enjoyed it actually, it's probably my favourite out of all of Burton's films. Have you seen The Nightmare Before Christmas? It's similar to that. I loved it. :smile:
Reply 6332
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Hated Alice in Wonderland. I thought Disney's version worked so much better with all its singing, and I just prefer it as an animated film, to be honest.

I'd definitely recommend watching Corpse Bride, though. I really enjoyed it actually, it's probably my favourite out of all of Burton's films. Have you seen The Nightmare Before Christmas? It's similar to that. I loved it. :smile:

I've got Corpse Bride on DVD, just never got round to watching it! The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all time faves. :h:
Original post by PoGo HoPz

this was probably the last film I walked out of the picture house on. I've since watched the second half to make sure and yeah, it's devoid on any charm or substance whatsoever
Original post by Kaytti
Dark Shadows. Don't bother.

what's wrong with it?

I'm drawn to it, albeit mainly for Depp... it looks alright
I've seen most of his films. The only ones I really enjoyed were Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I've seen most of his films. The only ones I really enjoyed were Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

What about Ed-Wood, Mars Attacks, PeeWee Herman, Nightmare Before Christmas, BeetleJuice BeetleJuice Beetlejuice.

Dude made some amazing films. Not sure what went wrong.
Original post by Abiraleft
I wonder if it's at all worth reading this. :ninja: Heard the name bandied about quite a bit.

It's Defo worth Reading! I've read it!
And it Will defo be Worth while when Ian is Cast as Christain Grey!
He has 100% Wowed anyone and everyone who's read the book! [He is Perfect for Greys character]Theres also been Word that Selena Gomez could be up for playing Annastasia.. I'm not too sure how i feel about that just yet!
Wes Anderson films are just pure excellence. :coma:
RDJ has apparently earned £31 million for the Avengers so far.

Ruffalo, Renner, Evans and Hemsworth have earned around £1.25 and 1.9 million.

Jackson and Johansson got about £3 milion.

Someone managed to work out a good deal with the studio it seems.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest