The Student Room Group

Can your firm offer be lower than your insurance offer?

As I said, I'm putting Nottingham as my firm offer, but I'm thinking of adding Durham as an insurance simply for the prospect of them accepting me despite my low scores? Does that eliminate the chance of Nottingham accepting me despite the lower score or no?

Sorry... wrong part of the forum. :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Notts student here, glad to hear it!

There is no point putting Durham as insurance because if you get the grades for Durham, you are still obliged to go to Nottingham because you would've received the grades required for your Nottingham too, and as your firm, you have to go.

If you want to go to Durham more than Nottingham, put it as your firm then Nottingham as your insurance, that means you can still go to Nottingham if you don't get into Durham. Although that does mean if you end up at Nottingham you end up with last pick of accommodation and possibly some other worse things like not being eligible for certain scholarships (eg Top class entry scholarships for Engineering students where you received £1000 for getting three A's if going onto the Engineering Course and if you had made Nottingham your firm offer on UCAS).
Reply 2
Original post by PatrickC
Notts student here, glad to hear it!

There is no point putting Durham as insurance because if you get the grades for Durham, you are still obliged to go to Nottingham because you would've received the grades required for your Nottingham too, and as your firm, you have to go.

If you want to go to Durham more than Nottingham, put it as your firm then Nottingham as your insurance, that means you can still go to Nottingham if you don't get into Durham. Although that does mean if you end up at Nottingham you end up with last pick of accommodation and possibly some other worse things like not being eligible for certain scholarships (eg Top class entry scholarships for Engineering students where you received £1000 for getting three A's if going onto the Engineering Course and if you had made Nottingham your firm offer on UCAS).

Alright, so you think there's no point? I'm definitely putting Nottingham as my firm since that's where I want to go, but I thought what's the harm in putting Durham (just for the heck of it) when I won't have an insurance anyway... :P
Unless you have a scholarship at Nottingham, I recommend you put Durham as your firm.
Reply 4
Original post by WLDL3
Alright, so you think there's no point? I'm definitely putting Nottingham as my firm since that's where I want to go, but I thought what's the harm in putting Durham (just for the heck of it) when I won't have an insurance anyway... :P

If Nottingham is were you want to go then put Nottingham. There's next to no point putting Durham as your insurance due to the fact that if you get the grades for Nottingham as your firm - you must go, but if you don't get the grades then you don't get into either.

Put Durham as an insurance just IN CASE you don't get the grades for either, call Nottingham up on the day and they refuse to allow you in. Because you never know if you call Durham afterwards and lots of people who they had given offers by Durham too didn't get the grades, then you might be in with a chance of getting a place even with the lower grades. But that chances of that happening are tiny so as I said next to no point.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by HundredPoundCoin
Unless you have a scholarship at Nottingham, I recommend you put Durham as your firm.

I firmed Nottingham.. I doubt there's a chance I'm making the Durham offer anyway and Nottingham is where I want to go. Out of curiousity, why do you say I should have firmed Durham?
Original post by WLDL3
I firmed Nottingham.. I doubt there's a chance I'm making the Durham offer anyway and Nottingham is where I want to go. Out of curiousity, why do you say I should have firmed Durham?

They think that Durham is a better Uni.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply