The Student Room Group

is pass plus worth it?

what sort of insurance discounts could a 17 year old male expect by doing the pass plus driving course? is it worth it?
Reply 1
In my experience, the only insurance companies who give discounts for pass plus are the more expensive ones anyway. So on the financial front I'd say no. However, in terms of being a valuable piece of driving tuition to introduce you to motorways, night time driving and bad weather driving I think it's definitely worth it.
Reply 2
Only if you want experience. If it is for lower insurance premiums then I would not bother.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I wouldn't bother. Your premiums are high cus you're a 17 year old male, not because you haven't done pass plus.
It has been 5 years since I completed my Pass Plus, but it was certainly worth it, financially speaking, back then.

I will echo the words of Elwyn and also remind you of the non financial benefits. It is quite a good idea to have someone who knows what they are doing by your side when you first venture onto a motorway, for example. I done most of my Pass Plus in central London - a little while later my circumstances required me to make regular drives around London and up to Yorkshire - so the city driving and motorway lessons were of great use.
Reply 5
Hi Elwyn,

I used to work part time in the AA and in most cases, it doesn't really make much of a difference. Although have you tried getting a few quotes with and without, say on confused.com?

With regards to the experience of pass plus, whilst there are obvious benefits, I personally don't think it's worth it unless you are feeling especially nervous. I found that I learnt far more about driving on my own after my test anyway. Might be a good idea to take a short drive on a nearby motorway when it's quiet? See how you feel?
Reply 6
Original post by Jus'Joshing
Hi Elwyn,

I used to work part time in the AA and in most cases, it doesn't really make much of a difference. Although have you tried getting a few quotes with and without, say on confused.com?

With regards to the experience of pass plus, whilst there are obvious benefits, I personally don't think it's worth it unless you are feeling especially nervous. I found that I learnt far more about driving on my own after my test anyway. Might be a good idea to take a short drive on a nearby motorway when it's quiet? See how you feel?

Thanks for the info. It's not really relevant to me anymore I've been driving over two years now and have more reasonable insurance prices than I used to.
Reply 7
No worries buddy. I know what you mean though - was an absolute nightmare when I first started driving, some companies wanted over £3000!
I think it would be beneficial for the experience, especially if you don't feel confident with night/motorway driving - or like me, rarely ever have to use anything more than a dual carriageway so never get the practice. However, it can be expensive and it's probably not worth it for financial reasons - insurance companies don't tend to give much of a discount. You'd be better off getting a black box.
Reply 9
Well, as others have posted above me you get the experience of driving on the motorway with an instructor and you get to drive in adverse conditions. Also it only costs £20 as far as I am aware. At least it does here! :smile:

And the fact that it can significantly reduce your insurance costs is awesome! I mean, one of my friends got around a third of his insurance quote knocked off when he did his pass plus. I don't remember the exact figures but I'm sure any logical person will realize that car insurance costs a lot more than £60... :smile:
Original post by icecoolwas
what sort of insurance discounts could a 17 year old male expect by doing the pass plus driving course? is it worth it?

Not for the insurance discounts, maybe it would be if you're still a fairly incompetent driver after passing your exam (one of my friends failed her test 7 times, she definitely could've used the pass plus course afterwards)

You've got no rush after passing, you should just keep driving whenever you can and build up skill and confidence, so that when you need to drive on the motorway for the first time you can, having used dual carriageways for ages beforehand!
Reply 11
If you really feel that you need professional help in covering areas which were not covered on test training etc then certainly talk to any ADI and TELL them what you think you need

The full PP may not be worth doing and as most have said, these days the insurers do not rate it

If you have a friend or family member who is a great driver and can keep calm then try asking them for help

Whichever help you get, try and get them to sit in the back and keep quiet (read a mag etc) when you get a little more confident as that will feel more like driving alone
Reply 12
It is definitely worth doing just for experience. Motorway driving and country roads I found gave me more confidence, and if it's your first time you are better off doing it with an instructor.
Original post by Elwyn
In my experience, the only insurance companies who give discounts for pass plus are the more expensive ones anyway. So on the financial front I'd say no. However, in terms of being a valuable piece of driving tuition to introduce you to motorways, night time driving and bad weather driving I think it's definitely worth it.

I agree. Most companies dont accept pass plus, and the ones that do dont give that much of a discount- certainly not enough of a discount to make it worth doing it- the small discount doesnt cover the cost of doong it in the first place.
If you want the experience, then from what i have hear its good, but financial wise it isnt worth doing.
Original post by icecoolwas

I was going to do it, until I found out that Direct Line would only give me 5% off for the first year after taking the course, which would only be about £40 for the year, and then once the year was over, the price would rise again. So it definitely would not have been worth the expense, time and effort.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's definitely worth it if you are nervous about motorway driving, as I once was.

Quick Reply

Latest