The Student Room Group

How do normal people behave in a relationship?!

Please don't de-anon. Delete if you must but people know me on here. It is quite embarrasing to be asking this after all!
Pretty much what it says on the tin ~ What I mean is, when you are in a relationship, what are you supposed to do (apart from sex)/ how are you supposed to behave towards each other? Is there certain things that a guy should do for a girl/ girl should do for a guy?!
Please help cos I'm confused about all this!
Thanks in advance
xxx

Scroll to see replies

Be yourself maybe and go with the flow? oh and enjoy it.
Go with the flow. No two relationships are ever the same.
Reply 3
Yeah, thanks for the replies. What I mean though, is there a certain way that people going out should behave towards each other when they are in the company of other people?
Reply 4
And what defines 'a relationship' per se? Thanks
Reply 5
You can tell when a two people are a couple almost straight away. I think it's just natural body language that is difficult to fake, but really does just come naturally.

A relationship has a lot of trust. It's about caring for each other, looking for that person at a party just to talk to them, random thoughtful gestures, missing each other, teasing each other about trivial things...

Sounds cliche, but I'd say it's the little things. :smile:

Yours is a bit of an odd question. Are you in one? Or not sure and that's why you're asking?
Reply 6
no sex in public, no kinky fetishes on display in public, no slurping, rude licking, no lip smacking, lip popping or "aaaaah"s of any kind.

relationship: two people who agree to spend time together, together or with others as well, and agree to be exclusive (not always the case, that is defined by each relationship). usually involves kissing, going out to places with each other, sex, hand holding, romantic nights, being together.
likeability
to be honest, i'm guessing you're not in a relationship, when you ARE in a relationship, you'll know how to act.
It comes naturally almost!

You can tell if someones in a relationship with someone, because the way they look at each other is normally enough =]
Reply 9
Ladies- see bf as walking wallet
Men- see gf as replacement mother, get her to do the chores :P

But seriously, Be yourself and enjoy spending time together (and apart).
Reply 10
A relationship is whatever you and the other person define it as. Interact in whatever way you feel like interacting. There isn't a list of correct public behaviours (just don't boink him in the middle of the food hall).

To be honest, your questions are so vague and relationships are so varied that your questions are unanswerable. Was there a specific issue that's bothering you?
In the company of other people: never let the other person feel left out (if you are talking to someone else make sure you include your other half. If a girl is in the company of another guy or vice versa make sure they know you are in a relashionship and always stand close to your partner and do mutual subtle things like touching their arm or eye contact and the way you speak to each other.. that way others will hopefully know you are a couple.
Reply 12
In the company of other people: never let the other person feel left out (if you are talking to someone else make sure you include your other half. If a girl is in the company of another guy or vice versa make sure they know you are in a relashionship and always stand close to your partner and do mutual subtle things like touching their arm or eye contact and the way you speak to each other.. that way others will hopefully know you are a couple.

I don't get this... why do other people need to know that this is my girlfriend constantly? If I'm introducing her for the first time then sure, I'll do everything I can to make her feel included but usually, nah, forget it. If I have to force myself to include my gf then I don't feel like she's her own person. Example; at a party if my chatting to a guy friend (or a girl friend) and my gf is finding it boring, she'll often wander off and I'll find her later and talk to her then. Part of being in a relationship is allowing the other person time and space with their friends, not forcing your friends to talk to your better half when they might have nothing in common. I mean, they're MY friends, I don't want to force her in to a conversation about politics!
Reply 13
~cherrykisses~

Or you could trust them enough to let them speak to people on their own, knowing that they'll come back to you at the end of the night. I agree with you on the making sure they're not left out (e.g. if you're somewhere where you know everyone and they don't, make sure they're included) but there's no need to stick to them all night if they're happy where they are.

As for the original question, it's pretty vague. Some people are more tactile than others in public, some people like to make it clear they're together while others can just appear like very good friends. Whatever feels right.
Celifein
There isn't a list of correct public behaviours (just don't boink him in the middle of the food hall).

Boink him in the food hall?! Is that a euphemism for kicking him in the crack smacker or something?
Reply 15
In my relationship I'm always nice, charming, a true gentleman, but that's always me really. I tend to be optimistic and try to look on the brighter sides of things, whenever my partner is in a bad mood I try and get her out of it and make her happy again. We talk about anything and feel incredibly comofrtable and so relaxed with eachother, so just be yourself and be happy...
half face
Boink him in the food hall?! Is that a euphemism for kicking him in the crack smacker or something?

:rofl: Ummmm... no.

It's terrifying when you first realise you're in one, but (if it's a good one) once you get into the swing of things, you just do what comes to you naturally.

Helenia, mailmerge and Hylean are spot on!
mailmerge

A relationship has a lot of trust. It's about caring for each other, looking for that person at a party just to talk to them, random thoughtful gestures, missing each other, teasing each other about trivial things...

Anon because I feel slightly stupid asking this. Is it unusual to have that sort of relationship with guys who are just friends?

You can tell when a two people are a couple almost straight away. I think it's just natural body language that is difficult to fake, but really does just come naturally.

Perhaps that all has something to do with why people keep thinking I either am or should be with some of my guy mates... Is that a bad thing? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Not really. Not for me at least, people have assumed in the past that I've been in a relationship with some of the girls I'm around, but that's never been the case - the ones I get on very well with, I care about a lot. I also do all of those things (looking for them, thoughtful gestures, missing them, teasing them about things), with nothing more meant by it that I think a lot of them and want them to be happy.

I don't think you can really give a definitive list of criteria for relationships, I can't thinking about it just now. ah well. I guess you sort of know if you're in one..
Reply 19
no such thing as a normal relationship. they are all different.

Latest

Trending

Trending