The Student Room Group

Bristol Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zakiman
I know an admissions tutor :ninja:

Please shed some light ! :smile:
They dont use the Ukcat and they only need AAB so does that mean they are really really competitive?
Reply 22
Original post by levantine
They dont use the Ukcat and they only need AAB so does that mean they are really really competitive?

Also wondering this :redface:
Reply 23
Original post by levantine

Original post by ssss
Also wondering this :redface:

Apparently that's the reason they get so many applicants... :rolleyes:
Hiii, I'm going to Bristol in two weeks to start studying medicine - so I was in your place this time last year! There might be a difference between the website and prospectus because the website may have not been updated from last year. I would go with the prospectus because it will have been newly printed for this year (as long as it says 2012/13 entry on it). Also, I know some people who got rejected last year and one of the things Bristol said in the rejection email was that most people who get places achieve above AAB in their A Levels (but obviously that wasn't the only deciding factor). They talked about my reference from school in my interview and also asked me questions that sounded like they had my personal statement right in front of them! So, if possible make sure you have a really distinctive reference from school - your teachers know the qualities people are looking for in potential doctors and can help you get your place!
I'd freaking love to go to Bristol, I've heard so many great things about it and think it's a brilliant place BUT... I think it may be a waste of an option as I got 703 avg in my UKCAT which is a pretty good score... So applying to Bristol who don't even look at UKCAT seems a bit silly. Especially as I'm also going for one BMAT uni.

How exactly do they decide who to interview/offer a place?
I'm also wondering what Bristol use to decide who to interview etc. As no entrance exam's needed, I'm assuming PS, reference and predicted grades will play a big part? I just can't figure out the degree to which each of those is important.
First of all HELLO :smile: I have just e-mailed bristol admissions service about ukcat but couldn't get a reply. Therefore ı thought you guys should be well-informed about their UKCAT consideration. My question is actually do they?
Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar
First of all HELLO :smile: I have just e-mailed bristol admissions service about ukcat but couldn't get a reply. Therefore ı thought you guys should be well-informed about their UKCAT consideration. My question is actually do they?

Bristol is one of 3 UK uni's that don't use the UKCAT
Which ones are the rest ? I guess ı know Birmingham is one of them but the third?
Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar
Which ones are the rest ? I guess ı know Birmingham is one of them but the third?

Liverpool :smile:
Original post by This Honest
Liverpool :smile:

Oh thanks a lot :smile: ı guess liverpool requires at least 9 gcses
Reply 32
Apparantly they mark each deciding factor - your ps, your top 8 gcses, your reference, and your predicted grades to decide who to interview. They interview 40% of applicants.
Is this true? And do they also look at AS's?
How exactly do they mark them - which is most important?

Gutted I couldn't make the open day... heard it's a beautiful city though :smile:
Anyone know what grades at GCSE and AS an average successful applicant has? I like the look of Bristol, but I really have no idea how they decide who to admitt.
Went to the open day today and loved it :smile: Will definitely be applying.

They said they mark candidates on the following:
20% grades (8% GCSE, 12% predictions. They said they take predictions to be more important than AS results?)
80% personal statement.

No pressure at all to get the 'perfect' personal statement then :lol:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Went to the open day today and loved it :smile: Will definitely be applying.

They said they mark candidates on the following:
20% grades (8% GCSE, 12% predictions. They said they take predictions to be more important than AS results?)
80% personal statement.

No pressure at all to get the 'perfect' personal statement then :lol:

Thank you very much for shedding some light unto us.
If my PS is cracking, then I may apply here.

Btw, I like your username, sounds really cool when saying it :tongue:
Original post by This Honest
Thank you very much for shedding some light unto us.
If my PS is cracking, then I may apply here.

Btw, I like your username, sounds really cool when saying it :tongue:

That's quite all right :smile: Before the open day, I really didn't have a clue as to what they look at, as their prospectus doesn't say a thing :lol:
One thing I forgot to ask was, out of the 80% given to the PS, where does the reference come in? Although I suppose the PS will always be the most important thing.

And thank you very much :p:
Reply 36
Hey everyone,
Do Bristol have any policy against students with all science subjects?? (bio chem phys maths)
As I know someone who applied (2011 entry) with 11A*s at gcse, AAAA at AS, with A*A*A*A* predicted, but did all science subjects and got rejected before interview. (he's off to oxbridge anyways).
Original post by Alex J
Hey everyone,
Do Bristol have any policy against students with all science subjects?? (bio chem phys maths)
As I know someone who applied (2011 entry) with 11A*s at gcse, AAAA at AS, with A*A*A*A* predicted, but did all science subjects and got rejected before interview. (he's off to oxbridge anyways).

I overheard someone at the open day ask almost exactly this, and they said they didn't really care about your 3rd (or 3rd&4th) subject, as long as you have biology and chemistry and your 3rd isn't general studies.
They only consider grades to be 20% of the application, too. It could be that their PS just wasn't good enough.
Original post by Alex J
Hey everyone,

I am going to Bristol next week to study medicine and I took those subjects so i assume they don't have a policy against this.
Reply 39
hey guys! I have my Alevel at A*AB and physics AS at B. but I am starting to get a little worried because i have E at EPQ. Do you guys think this E will ruin my chance of geting invited for an interview.

Thanks for your input in advance. :smile:

Quick Reply