The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by nm9801
Please believe me when I say this but you will be perfectly fine!! I'm in my first year and when I started in September I was petrified because I actually don't drink at all. You are guaranteed to find at least one person in your flat/floor who doesn't want to stay out late as well so you always have someone to come back with. During freshers week I went out clubbing, only stayed out for an hour. And now I go along to pre-drinks but just go back to my room when they go out. They're fine with it, I'm fine with it and we have good fun together. We do a movie night every week and once a month or so we have "family meals" where my whole floor gets together and each flat brings food. Clubbing and drinking is NOT the only way to make friends at uni.

Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to hear :biggrin: I know it is not impossible, I just imagine it more difficult since so many people seem to be all into clubbing and this is the way to meet people in freshers. But as you said, I'll just go for pubs and bars, meet people on my floor and in lectures and - hopefully - will be fine :smile:
Having no friends, or worse, having "friends", ie people that don't actually care about you/are two faced or bitchy

Failing the course/being totally lost with the work
Original post by Sir Fox
Not making any friends because I literally hate clubbing and getting drunk. I know there are many people like me, but normally you get to know most people in freshers' week and this is supposed to be all about getting drunk and partying until the morning ... :frown:

Bin damit einverstanden :frown:

But yeah, not going drinking and therefore ISOLATION, not having any friends (and I've struggled with this since I was four, so it's justified), that my boyfriend and I will grow apart, that my family will change loads and see me as an outsider :frown:
Reply 63
Original post by such_a_lady
Bin damit einverstanden :frown:

But yeah, not going drinking and therefore ISOLATION, not having any friends (and I've struggled with this since I was four, so it's justified), that my boyfriend and I will grow apart, that my family will change loads and see me as an outsider :frown:

If all people at British unis have the same attitude you express with your avatar, I'll be perfectly fine :biggrin:

But if your family will ever see you as an outsider, either you changed a lot (in a negative way) or your family is quite strange. Or probably both. Ich kenne deine Familie nicht, gehe aber mal stark davon aus, dass das nicht passieren wird :wink:
Reply 64
Being seen as weird by housemates.
Mine's that people won't like me :redface:
Being alone in the crowd.

And getting a reputation as the one who is always sick after drinks........ aha
Reply 67
Biggest fear at the moment is getting there and realising I don't like my course.

That and getting hallmates who are unfriendly/snobby/'morning people'
That I hate my course.
Reply 69
that i'm going to be the only non-drinker?
doesnt bother me to much but it would be nice not to be on my own surrounded by drunk people haha
Reply 70
Youre socially inept arent you?
Reply 71
My biggest fear is my dad not eating properly or being unhappy. We're really close because it's just us in the house.
Reply 72
I guess the best idea would be to open a thread for every single university where all those people (me included) who are afraid to not make any friends can chat and arrange meeting each other when starting university :smile:
Original post by Sir Fox
I guess the best idea would be to open a thread for every single university where all those people (me included) who are afraid to not make any friends can chat and arrange meeting each other when starting university :smile:

My amazing first choice already does have that :wink: and Facebook :wink: ...aaand quite a few of us have met up in real life anyway, which is reassuring :tongue:
I'm not worried that I won't make any friends at all, I'm just not looking forward to being lonely the first few weeks until I actually get to know some people. I won't know anybody for miles until I get close to people.

I'm also worried that I'll get along with people, but I won't find anyone I can really be true best friends with.
Reply 75
I'll be starting in Sep 2012 as well,
I'm worried about being homesick as I've never lived away from family and setting my self a money budget cos at the moment I'm VERY spoilt and get anything I want :redface:
Maybe we're all just very confident in our academic abilities :P
Reply 77
Being somewhere different I will end up spending 3 years of my life in. That scares me the most.
Reply 78
Right now im scared that my halls will be dead :frown:
Reply 79
Second time round it's budgeting and finances... way more practical thoughts than first time around lol

Quick Reply