The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joshc93
Still nothing back from Durham at all, I applied before the oxbridge deadline, any one else in the same situation?

Mate you got your oxford offer be happy!
What did u write in ur PS chemistry related?
Reply 1381
Original post by chignesh10
Mate you got your oxford offer be happy!
What did u write in ur PS chemistry related?

aha yeah I know its just annoying, umm a couple of books I read, some work experience, specific parts of chemistry I like
Original post by Joshc93
aha yeah I know its just annoying, umm a couple of books I read, some work experience, specific parts of chemistry I like

How did u get work experience! Is it really necessary, anything else chemistry related coz all ive done is read books, gone to a couple of lectures...
Reply 1383
How did u get work experience! Is it really necessary, anything else chemistry related coz all ive done is read books, gone to a couple of lectures...

Its not necessary and most people don't have it, I was just lucky to live near a lab.

For a personal statement, work experience is not necessary so long as you are capable of writing into great detail about the books you have read and the lectures you have been to :yep:
Original post by Nirgilis
For a personal statement, work experience is not necessary so long as you are capable of writing into great detail about the books you have read and the lectures you have been to :yep:

Oh ok, thanks a lot. I am applying for the nuffield science bursary, hopefully will get a place but it is quite competitive. How much of it should be EC? Not much?
Oh ok, thanks a lot. I am applying for the nuffield science bursary, hopefully will get a place but it is quite competitive. How much of it should be EC? Not much?

... However, if you can actually get work experience, it's a great thing to add (before I forget to say that :tongue:).

Extra-curricular parts can vary depending on what you've done and how much else you already have in your personal statement. If you are well over the line limit, then yes, extra-curricular should be the first to be cut down, but I do recommend having two or three lines just to prove you do something outside of chemistry (and as I always say, relate the extra-curricular activity back to your studies in chemistry. Whether it be improving time management, team working, planning...)
... However, if you can actually get work experience, it's a great thing to add (before I forget to say that :tongue:).

Extra-curricular parts can vary depending on what you've done and how much else you already have in your personal statement. If you are well over the line limit, then yes, extra-curricular should be the first to be cut down, but I do recommend having two or three lines just to prove you do something outside of chemistry (and as I always say, relate the extra-curricular activity back to your studies in chemistry. Whether it be improving time management, team working, planning...)

Ah ok, not sure how i can link Dofe , volunteering, cricket back to chemistry
does playing a social league football count, its not professional tho

Apart from reading books, and going to lectures, do u recommend anything else chem related? I may do the cambridge chem challenge which can be useful
Which uni would you say is better for Chemistry...York or Bristol (in terms of average degree grade obtained, facilities, links with employers etc...)? :confused:S

Apart from reading books, and going to lectures, do u recommend anything else chem related? I may do the cambridge chem challenge which can be useful

DofE shows that you'll start something and finish it, regardless of how hard it is, cricket is team work.
Original post by loafersatagig
Which uni would you say is better for Chemistry...York or Bristol (in terms of average degree grade obtained, facilities, links with employers etc...)? :confused:S

And I'll respond with a more relevant question: Have you visited both the universities and which one did you feel the most comfortable in/like the most?

That's loads to play with!

DofE shows dedication as well as many desirable skills such as problem solving and planning. Volunteering depends on what you actually did to volunteer (people skills, team leader, communication etc) and cricket is all about team work etc.
And I'll respond with a more relevant question: Have you visited both the universities and which one did you feel the most comfortable in/like the most?

That's loads to play with!

DofE shows dedication as well as many desirable skills such as problem solving and planning. Volunteering depends on what you actually did to volunteer (people skills, team leader, communication etc) and cricket is all about team work etc.

Ah ok thanks a lot! that the only EC's I do though, so maybe i can write a small paragraph on that, thanks al ot for the help!
Ah ok thanks a lot! that the only EC's I do though, so maybe i can write a small paragraph on that, thanks al ot for the help!

Dude, the only EC's I mentioned in my PS was the fact I'm part of the school orchestra!!
Original post by .snowflake.
Dude, the only EC's I mentioned in my PS was the fact I'm part of the school orchestra!!

haha, ok some people make ECs seem absolutley necessray!
Did you get an offer from UCL or am i mistaking u for osmeone else
Reply 1394
woooo unofficial offer for a MSci in Chem w/ year in continental Europe in Bristol :smile: :smile:

I had an interview. Wating for my offer/ rejection to come through.
Reply 1396
I didn't put a single one down! :tongue: Mine was completely chemistry related. When I went to Bath the admissions tutor advised not to put in extra curricular activities like that, as they quite frankly didn't really care if you played football twice a week or what have you, and would much rather read about what you find interesting about chemistry and why.
(edited 12 years ago)
And I'll respond with a more relevant question: Have you visited both the universities and which one did you feel the most comfortable in/like the most.

I've visited both of them twice! I like them equally and I really can't decide between them.:confused::confused: Has anyone firmed Bristol or York yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
has anyone applied to Loughborough or York?? :smile:
Reply 1399
Hey guys,

Not posted on this forum before, but had an interview on the 28th, and just got a letter through the post saying I have a confirmed offer :smile: Good luck guys!