The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GdotL
Haha, you won't have a chance to 'duck and hide' if you're sitting shadowing a GP! Basically next time you go to your GP, ask them if they have any friends or recommendations for GP surgeries on the other side of your town/city where you won't be facing confidentiality problems.

Wow, you're in Year 10 or Year 11? Ok, don't do the work experience too early otherwise you will be a bit 'young' to fully benefit from it - certainly not before you've finished GCSEs!

I suggest care home! Make sure you continue with it even after the DofE is over though...it's great if you can show a long-term commitment on your personal statement, say doing two hours a week for two years! As opposed to two hours a week for a few months solely to get into Medicine which is a fairly average thing to do.

thanks :-) and yeah im in year 10 i think care home is best aswell and ... i was talking it over on friday with my primary school headteacher if at the end of Yr11 when i get signed off for specific days (dependant on lessons ) if i could possible do volunteer work then aswell :biggrin: ...im not planning to do any now because i know how high GCSE's are valued n i also need to get a few A*s i am just preparing ahead a little :-) thankyou for your advise :biggrin:
Original post by techno836
thanks :-) and yeah im in year 10 i think care home is best aswell and ... i was talking it over on friday with my primary school headteacher if at the end of Yr11 when i get signed off for specific days (dependant on lessons ) if i could possible do volunteer work then aswell :biggrin: ...im not planning to do any now because i know how high GCSE's are valued n i also need to get a few A*s i am just preparing ahead a little :-) thankyou for your advise :biggrin:

Early preparation is best when you have sorted everything else. Make sure you give your best in these two years on GCSE. You don't know half the people who don't get places because of them, which I think is really not as indicative to how capable you are, buts its like a knife to cut of people for the places they have.
You will have plenty of time to do the WE, I'd say start voluntary in yr 11, in July when you done with exams.
Reply 22
Original post by Future_Dr
But realistically, what sort of questions should I have in mind when doing the WE? What things should I note down that would be adequate?

Just take a little A5 notepad with you, don't write all the time, just when you find yourself not doing anything.

You should try and observe how the receptionists deal with patients. They actually require some knowledge, when someone phones up saying they are ill the receptionist needs to be able to decide whether they should tell them to come in or not. Also, nobody's going to know you didn't observe a GP or nurse :wink:
Early preparation is best when you have sorted everything else. Make sure you give your best in these two years on GCSE. You don't know half the people who don't get places because of them, which I think is really not as indicative to how capable you are, buts its like a knife to cut of people for the places they have.
You will have plenty of time to do the WE, I'd say start voluntary in yr 11, in July when you done with exams.

thanks ... i think that is good.. priorotize :biggrin:
Original post by Elwyn
Just take a little A5 notepad with you, don't write all the time, just when you find yourself not doing anything.

You should try and observe how the receptionists deal with patients. They actually require some knowledge, when someone phones up saying they are ill the receptionist needs to be able to decide whether they should tell them to come in or not. Also, nobody's going to know you didn't observe a GP or nurse :wink:

I've never known any receptionist to do triage.

OP, I don't think you're going to get much out of this placement. Time is better spent elsewhere, I reckon.
Reply 25
I am arranging work expeirence at GP surgery. They only allowing me at the admin side of it. Is the week worth it?:confused:

Even if your GP surgery don't allow you to sit in on consultations, being in the surgery itself will inevitably help you. You'll get the chance to speak with doctors and nurses and maybe even learn a few things. To be honest, you've got nothing to lose. So go for it!
Speaking from experience, you'll probably end up enjoying it. :smile:
I have decided that I will commence this work experience placement at GP surgery for onw week. I think it is worth it. I already done a week hospital work expeirence with a lot of observations in various aspects. I think it is time to see how the business is run. how the NHS funds and stuff i guess. Hopefully I will gain something which would come useful. Better something than nothing.
I have decided that I will commence this work experience placement at GP surgery for onw week. I think it is worth it. I already done a week hospital work expeirence with a lot of observations in various aspects. I think it is time to see how the business is run. how the NHS funds and stuff i guess. Hopefully I will gain something which would come useful. Better something than nothing.

Have fun filing and making cups of tea for a week.
Original post by SpaghettiFellOut
Have fun filing and making cups of tea for a week.

Thanks.:cool:
Reply 29
I did something similar years ago when I was applying to medicine and I went from doing a few hours a week to getting a contracted slot in the local cardiac unit in my local hospital. I'd recommend you take any offers/chances you can, even if you think it's going to be irrelevant, mundane and not very helpful as it could lead to better opportunities.

Latest

Trending

Trending