The Student Room Group

Girls, do you prefer men to call you 'babe' or 'darling'?

Alright, babe?
Alright, darling?

For me, the darling one seems something a dirty working class man would say on a building site, every time a piece of skirt walked past him and his lads as they each ogled at The Sun during theit lunchbreak.

However, if I am familiar with someone, I always say "alright, babe?". Some of my friends call me babe too. It doesn't have to mean that you're dating.

Or should it be first name terms at all times unless you're being sexually intimate?

Scroll to see replies

I'd feel really silly attempting either of those greetings.
I think 'bitch' always comes across well, especially in formal situations, or when you are meeting someone for the first time.
I use their name, and if I don't know it I'll avoid calling them anything and probably just say "excuse me...". Calling people babe, hun, pal, bledrin is something I'm never going to do. "Mate" is probably the only thing I can manage.
Well, if it's a friend, neither. If it's a boyfriend, I don't know, kind of becomes not-so-odd for either.

Regardless though, it could be worst, just don't start going up to women and saying things like "Wagwan geeza, mi name's Joey, i'm from essex ye rudebwoiii n' i'm ****ing reem, son :wink:"
Neither.
Reply 6
Both will work if you are from Made in Chelsea
Reply 7
my name is just fine, thanks
Reply 8
Neither, because my uncle calls me both since it's so ingrained in his vocabulary. I'll make my him a cup of tea and his automatic response is 'cheers babe' or when he sees me he'll say: "You alright darling?"

He's the only person I don't mind saying it because I'm used to it from him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Alright Luv? - for old women
Alright sexy? - too flirtatious and desperate
Alright darling? - too working class
Alright babe? friendly and sincere
Alright girl? Too impersonal
Neither, really - I'd rather just be called by my name. Fair enough if you do like being called either but it makes me cringe. In the early stages of our relationship my boyfriend called me "babe" once and I immediately told him never to do that again :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
How about you call me by my name; is that too much to ask? :P
Reply 12
i try this new approach, their names. dat **** cray.
I only allow close friends to call me darling, since we're joking. I only allow it as a joke since it's pointlessly mushy.

Babe is a horridly unpleasant word to call anyone, I hate the sound and I hate the connotations.

Sweetheart etc. also annoys me, more common from women than men that I've found. Please just ask my name. I have one.

'Dear' is okay assuming you don't know their name, it's like, 'dear so and so', a little less intimate without being patronising.
Reply 14
Either one makes me cringe a little. I have a perfectly good name for people to use if they want to talk to me.
Reply 15
I say "Hey/hello stranger" sometimes.
Reply 16
Depends on the person....some do some don't
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I have a name for a reason.
I use darling/love occasionally for girls I know. Babe just seems tacky.
Reply 19
Neither haha
I'd rather be called ma chérie d'amour :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest