The Student Room Group

Alleged rape by two footballers, woman too drunk to remember anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by arichmond64
I thought the same, McDonald was the one who has sex with her first.

Does a full report ever come out of court cases like this?

It will be in time, I've been looking for it but it isn't out yet.

Very confused if I'm honest, either the BBC hasn't reported all the facts (very possible) or the judge has directed the jury incorrectly, because from the BBC news report I cannot see how it was proved beyond reasonable doubt that the woman did not consent.
Original post by WhatTheFunk
she was 'too drunk to consent'

That is worrying

Without hating to much and knowing a limited amount about the case but the law sides with women so much more in these cases, maybe because of high profile cases when wolf as been shouted. Rape is still wrong and bad no matter what

Big name stars seem to get away with this all the time like Ribery, Benzema and Govou have all had it away with underage prostitute and got away

Its not really the same as an underage prostitute though.

It is a little worrying, I don't see how you can be "too drunk" to consent, does that mean, she did consent, but it wasn't valid.

Its amazing how bad alcohol really is.
Original post by arichmond64
Its not really the same as an underage prostitute though.

It is a little worrying, I don't see how you can be "too drunk" to consent, does that mean, she did consent, but it wasn't valid.

Its amazing how bad alcohol really is.

If she was unconcious the fair enough, but if she was just drunk but still awake/aware then i can't see how he can be proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. Also it seems a bit funny the other guy was let off.
She consented to drinking too much alcohol so its her own fault.
Reply 224
I haven't been following the whole thing so don't know all the ins and outs (excuse the pun) but it seems very harsh. I'm leaning towards saying it's the woman's responsibiliy to control herself, rather than getting monumentally wasted, shagging people and then regretting it.
Can't fathom how they both got their dicks wet but one is guilty and the other one cleared.
Original post by HolliAnnaBella
I'm just wondering what other people's views on case this are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-17677969

I am absolutely not of the opinion that a drunk woman can bring rape upon herself. However, I wonder what the outcome of this trial will be, if the woman cannot remember ANYTHING then how can the men be charged with rape when there is every possibility that she consented and forgot. I feel the men are somewhat in the wrong for having sex with a girl who was clearly inebriated but sometimes it's difficult to judge a person's level of intoxication!

I really feel for the girl and hope she will be able to move on but I just wonder how viable everyone else considers her case to be??

It is a very big issue these days. Because when alcohol is involved it's hard to actually work out what may of happened. However, 3 thing must be proved, for a case to be classed as rape, those are: That the sexual intercourse took place, That it was in fact against the woman's will, and the defendant knew she did not consent or was reckless as to whether or not she consented.

As the woman in this case can not remember, she can not prove it was against her will, however, if this tape that was attempted to be made is still present, than this will be looked upon as evidence.
Original post by walterwhite123
The key word there is 'probably'. That is not enough to find someone guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

this is why so many rapists get away because of your attitude. its quite horrible really. hopefully you get some understanding and life experience behind you before you become lawyer.
Original post by Dominic101
She consented to drinking too much alcohol so its her own fault.

no it isnt drinking is lawful rape isnt. having sex with someone who cannot consent is rape and is illegal it is the rapists fault. why is it seeming to be the males on here who are blaming the woman makes me ashamed to be a man.
I am absolutely baffled as to how one can get away, and the other not!
Original post by harmony_01
in my opinion- all should be locked up.

your opinion is disgusting as is most on here. yeh lets start locking up drunk women who get raped we can be more like Afganistan then. brilliant. what kind of people post on this forum i do wonder. woeful to say the least
Original post by badcheesecrispy
no it isnt drinking is lawful rape isnt. having sex with someone who cannot consent is rape and is illegal it is the rapists fault. why is it seeming to be the males on here who are blaming the woman makes me ashamed to be a man.

It's the fact that if she was too drunk to consent how can one be guilty and the other innocent if they both had sex with her. They both claimed ched asked to join in and she said yes, so either we are missing something huge here, or this "she is too drunk to consent" is a huge cop-out.
Reply 232
this is why so many rapists get away because of your attitude. its quite horrible really. hopefully you get some understanding and life experience behind you before you become lawyer.

Hang on, so you are an advocate of branding someone a rapist because they 'probably did it'. The burden of proof required to convict someone of a criminal offence is one of the best parts of the justice system in this country. If you were accused of a serious offence, you wouldn't want to be convicted because some people think you might be 'probably' guilty, you'd want them to be sure.

It's a terrible crime to let a guilty man walk free. It's worse to let an innocent man rot in jail.

Isn't there a saying "Better a thousand guilty men walk free than one innocent man be sent to death"? Something like that.

If you can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that it happened then you can't have any complaints about them walking free.
your opinion is disgusting as is most on here. yeh lets start locking up drunk women who get raped we can be more like Afganistan then. brilliant. what kind of people post on this forum i do wonder. woeful to say the least

Stop trying to act all high and mighty, if there was a clear case of rape here you can be sure that the vast majority would be condeming ched without fail. However when someone is convicted of such a deplorable act, depsite the fact there is a begging question and there seemingly isn't enough evidence to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt then clearly people will start stirring questions. If we call ourselves moral beings and agree with a persons right to a fair trial then when cases like this come along and we say nothing about the seemingly dodgy verdict then we are no better than tyrants. People merely want questions answered, either much evidence hasn't been released or Evans has been made a scapegoat. I sincerely hope it's not the latter!
When it comes to sexual encounters men always come out worst, the law is prejudice against men.
Reply 236
Original post by Dominic101
When it comes to sexual encounters men always come out worst, the law is prejudice against men.

You are right, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 does favour women over men.
I was surprised to hear thar Welsh footballer Ched Evans has been given a five year sentence for raping a 19 year old.

I didn't think sheep lived that long.

Spoiler

Reply 238
Original post by NB_ide
Unfortunately most of TSR believe that basically a woman can never give legitimate consent, because if she was drinking, or was persuaded in any way, shape or form, the consent is not valid and u r rapist lol.

brb, 100% of men are rapists, brb millions of rapes happen every weekend. brb diluting the definition of rape until it's completely meaningless.

Completely correct. They're always throwing tantrums whenever the subject is brought up, it is ridiculous.
Reply 239
Original post by laura130490
Does no one actually drink alcohol on here? You don't blackout i.e forget parts of the night from being mildly intoxicated. You have to be absolutely off your face, barely able to walk or talk to black out. I really hope people aren't suggesting that men are so stupid that they don't realise someone in that state is not able to fully consent.

If I went up to someone that drunk and said, can I have your wallet? And they through sheer drunken confusion nodded their head or said yes does that mean I'm not a thief taking advantage of an incredibly drunk person who has no idea what is going on?

Maybe don't be a moron and get to that state of drunkeness then? GASP! Shocker!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending