The Student Room Group

Can't get into revision routine...

Right,

My first year law exams are coming up within the next 2 weeks and I'm really struggling to revise. First semester was all coursework based and I had no problem doing this and ended up getting good grades. It has been a year since A-level exams and it's like I forget how to study for hours and cannot motivate myself to get into a revision routine...

Anyone else in the same problem? Any tips or advice?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Get a pen and make notes...
Reply 2
Original post by Booyah
Get a pen and make notes...

Clever.

Can't into a routine though, plus I'm not sure whether it would be better to spend a whole day doing one module or revise bits of each module everyday.
Reply 3
Original post by Cmca1
Clever.

Can't into a routine though, plus I'm not sure whether it would be better to spend a whole day doing one module or revise bits of each module everyday.

I sit down and go over my entire chemistry biology and geology notes every 2 days and make notes of those notes... Repetition is key for me
Reply 4
Original post by Cmca1
Right,

My first year law exams are coming up within the next 2 weeks and I'm really struggling to revise. First semester was all coursework based and I had no problem doing this and ended up getting good grades. It has been a year since A-level exams and it's like I forget how to study for hours and cannot motivate myself to get into a revision routine...

Anyone else in the same problem? Any tips or advice?

How to Effectively Study, Most people find studying a drag but if your going to do it you may as well do it right. Step 1 - Choose an enviroment to study where you will be free from distractions, Including phone calls, Television or other Interruptions. Step 2 - priorities your study materials so that the most important or hardest is finished first. Step 3 - Read your materials over once for basic comprehension, dont stress about remembering it all on the first read. Step 4 - Read the material again taking notes and summarizing the main ideas in your own words, Make new material stick by relating it to something you already know or care about (eg. Italian Food - Italian Art), context and emotion enhance our ability to remember. Step 5 - Use your senses to assist with learning, when possible dont just read but listen to lectures or podcasts and watch instructional videos, build a rich inderstanding of the material. Step 6 - Quiz yourself without the aid of any notes, write down your answers or speak them aloud, In other words rehearse for the test, take a nap or watch tv or have a break after a heavy study session to allow your brain time to rest, Studies have shown Napping after studying can help with recall. Step 7 - Test youself again and agian at different times of the day and week, this self-testing will reinforce your studies, so that when the real test arrives you'll be ready. Hope this Helped :smile:
Have you tried making a timetable or something? If you write your schedule down, you're more likely to follow it than simply having it in your head.

I find that if you revise in different ways except 'taking notes' (ahem) is more productive. Be creative!

Quick Reply

Latest