The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Woah! How do you get so much?!! I'm on £6.28 p/hr going up to £6.50 p/hr after 12? (poss 24) weeks!

I'm starting at £6.60 p/h..
Reply 2061
Maybe those getting more than £6.28 per hour live in bigger and more expensive cities like London or Manchester, for example.
Original post by Sem193
Maybe those getting more than £6.28 per hour live in bigger and more expensive cities like London or Manchester, for example.

Yeah i think so too..because i started off on about £6 something..and now its £7.39..and I work in Sutton!
Original post by Sem193

That's pretty cheeky though. Asda is Asda at the end of the day, why does location make a difference? If it's today with living costs in certain post codes, I live in Essex which is like, one of the most expensive living costs in the UK so I should be on a higher rate. Plus our store takes more sales than most of the ASDA stores across the UK due to dense population surrounding it, it's in the middle of resedential area rather than a lot of ASDA stores that are in warehouse type areas.

As you can see, I'm quite passionate about this 22p robbery :tongue:
That's a Curly Wurly right there
Reply 2064
Original post by brownshuga91
Yeah i think so too..because i started off on about £6 something..and now its £7.39..and I work in Sutton!

£7.39?!!!! :O Really? How? I wish I worked in Sutton now :P

Original post by MelissaJayne
That's pretty cheeky though. Asda is Asda at the end of the day, why does location make a difference? If it's today with living costs in certain post codes, I live in Essex which is like, one of the most expensive living costs in the UK so I should be on a higher rate. Plus our store takes more sales than most of the ASDA stores across the UK due to dense population surrounding it, it's in the middle of resedential area rather than a lot of ASDA stores that are in warehouse type areas.

As you can see, I'm quite passionate about this 22p robbery :tongue:
That's a Curly Wurly right there

Yeah, I agree. It's cheeky. I get the £6.28 per hour as well. I'm actually quite confused now because I would have thought that the pay rate in Essex would be higher and your store takes more sales so it should have more money to pay the employees. Hmm. I don't know what it is then :s-smilie: Maybe it's to do with the amount of employees? If store A makes the same amount of profit as store B but store A has more employees than store B, then store B can afford to pay its employees more if you get what I mean.
Original post by Sem193
£7.39?!!!! :O Really? How? I wish I worked in Sutton now :P

Yeah, I agree. It's cheeky. I get the £6.28 per hour as well. I'm actually quite confused now because I would have thought that the pay rate in Essex would be higher and your store takes more sales so it should have more money to pay the employees. Hmm. I don't know what it is then :s-smilie: Maybe it's to do with the amount of employees? If store A makes the same amount of profit as store B but store A has more employees than store B, then store B can afford to pay its employees more if you get what I mean.

It's a mystery! We ought to get to the bottom of this. Let's go to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of..Asda
Original post by Sem193

Agree with Melissa though - it's still not fair! My store is one of the biggest in the country (employing 1200 colleagues) and we have exceeded our targets for the 1/2 year by +5.5%. Although saying that, if at the end of the year we have still exceeded the targets we'll all get a bonus. Nice :smile:.
Hi, i've been put on a 12-9 shift, am I right in thinking I'll have a meal break somewhere during that?
Original post by elstoleno
Hi, i've been put on a 12-9 shift, am I right in thinking I'll have a meal break somewhere during that?

Evening meal break (c 5/6 pm) for 30 mins (unpaid) and also a 15 min (paid) break. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Evening meal break (c 5/6 pm) for 20 mins (unpaid) and also a 15 min (paid) break. :smile:

Reply 2070
Have my first shift tomorrow but don't have a uniform yet :s

We had the induction on Tuesday and we gave our sizes and stuff, do you reckon I'll get it when I go in?
Original post by Deshi
Have my first shift tomorrow but don't have a uniform yet :s

We had the induction on Tuesday and we gave our sizes and stuff, do you reckon I'll get it when I go in?

We got ours at induction :/ I'd go in a bit earlier and ask in the office about it, then you'll have time to change.
Reply 2072
We got ours at induction :/ I'd go in a bit earlier and ask in the office about it, then you'll have time to change.

Yeah will probably do that, would be very annoying if I went in very casual clothes only to be told my uniform hasn't arrived :p:

Anyway what was your first day like/what did you do?
Original post by Deshi
Yeah will probably do that, would be very annoying if I went in very casual clothes only to be told my uniform hasn't arrived :p:

Anyway what was your first day like/what did you do?

Well I work in bakery and they thing they hired me to do hadn't arrived so I did the basic bakery jobs - putting some things on the shelves and tidying the shelves.

Oh, if you have a training badge (we got them in induction) keep it with you if youre going to be on the shop floor, i've got my 6th shift tomorrow and I still keep mine with me! (I wore it for the first 4 shifts XP)

If you haven't got your smart card set up, get that done asap as you need it to clock in/out/meal breaks.

Your first day will mainly be meeting people from your 'team' (dept) and stuff like that. All pretty easy and relatively relaxed. Everyone will be nice and helpful to you because your new (I've been there around 5 weeks now and because im not in often everyone is still super helpful to me - I still dont know how to do everything!).

Have fun and let me know how it goes (Y).
Well I work in bakery and they thing they hired me to do hadn't arrived so I did the basic bakery jobs - putting some things on the shelves and tidying the shelves.

Oh, if you have a training badge (we got them in induction) keep it with you if youre going to be on the shop floor, i've got my 6th shift tomorrow and I still keep mine with me! (I wore it for the first 4 shifts XP)

If you haven't got your smart card set up, get that done asap as you need it to clock in/out/meal breaks.

Your first day will mainly be meeting people from your 'team' (dept) and stuff like that. All pretty easy and relatively relaxed. Everyone will be nice and helpful to you because your new (I've been there around 5 weeks now and because im not in often everyone is still super helpful to me - I still dont know how to do everything!).

Have fun and let me know how it goes (Y).

'Training badge!' Oh my days - I wish!! I just got a normal badge, which I've accidentally put through the wash twice already. Woops.... :tongue:
The AMOUNT of badges I've lost at work is getting quite silly. Pretty sure many people have got home to find "Melissa" lurking in their bag of loose carrots.
Original post by MelissaJayne
The AMOUNT of badges I've lost at work is getting quite silly. Pretty sure many people have got home to find "Melissa" lurking in their bag of loose carrots.

Haha! Mine has broken twice already and I've just glued it back together :rolleyes: gonna ask for a new one today!! :tongue:
This thread has helped me loads the past couple of days and I've just found out I've got a job on the deli!!
I've read lots of opinions about working at asda and to be honest I just can't wait to get stuck in!
I haven't seen anything on here about the deli so would like any kind of information before I go in :smile:
Like are the pay/work hours any different?
I'm in Bristol and I'm 19, what wage may I start on?
:biggrin: thanks guys!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2078
Am I allowed to hand in a notice before my 12 week period is up? I am kind of going to university earlier than I'd originally thought. :redface:
Original post by MusicalTheatre
This thread has helped me loads the past couple of days and I've just found out I've got a job on the deli!!
I've read lots of opinions about working at asda and to be honest I just can't wait to get stuck in!
I haven't seen anything on here about the deli so would like any kind of information before I go in :smile:
Like are the pay/work hours any different?
I'm in Bristol and I'm 19, what wage may I start on?
:biggrin: thanks guys!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Congrats!! Which Bristol store?? Coz I'm at Patchway! :smile: Pay - £6.28 p/hr for first 12 wks then £6.50 after that. £8.50 and then £8.83 (or something like that) for nights.

Quick Reply